Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOS 4 does not boot anymore after installing the RadeonHD V5 driver
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
As the title says, my system (SAM460LE) doesn't boot anymore after I installed these V5 drivers.
I have a Radeon RX GPU installed, so I didn't need to update the HD drivers in the first place...
But the Enhancer Software already updated those drivers as well to V2.12, so I didn't expected any problems! (And the V5 driver will also be included in future Enhancer releases)

The problem is, I am not able to downgrade the RadeonHD.chip v5.14 driver to the one from the Enhancer 2.2 since I can only download it on a working AmigaOS 4 system (purchased it digitally on AMIStore).

Or is there any other possibilty I can try? Because the older RadeonHD.chip and the RadeonRX.chip drivers already coexisted previously... Whant prevents the system to use the RadeonRX.chip drivers instead?

Go to top
Re: AmigaOS 4 does not boot anymore after installing the RadeonHD V5 driver
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
It is strange, that radeonHD.chip causes problem with RX cards.

In any case you can boot with AmigaOS DVD or USB, and edit your HDD System:Kickstart/kicklayout, and comment here radeonHD.chip

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yes very strange indeed. That would mean, one cannot switch to other GPUs after installation...

Yes I can access my HDD by booting via AmigaOS CD.
The radeonHD.chip is v5.14 and radeonRX.chip is v2.12, as expected. Both drivers are listed in the kicklayout.

Any idea, why this driver update made my system unbootable? After the Uboot loader, the display just stays white...
Any more suggestion what else I can try?

Edited by skygecko on 2023/9/4 21:14:11
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@skygecko

Put a > before radeonHD.chip in the kicklayout.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Do you mean > in front of MODULE or after MODULE?
like this? MODULE > kickstart/RadeonHD.chip
And what does the > do?

I've looked into the installer script:
"The driver supports ATI(TM) Radeon(TM) X1000 series and Radeon(TM) HD 2000 - 6000 series graphics cards."

The ABOUT section of the README is a bit more precise:
"It supports everything from the Radeon HD 2000 series
(R600 chipsets) through to the Radeon HD 7000 series (Southern Islands
chipsets). It also supports some Radeon Rx cards. Older Radeon X1300-X1950
graphics cards (R500 chipsets) are supported as well, although these are not
recommended."

So according to this, my GPU should work!

But then there is also written the following:
"Additional information can be found on the Radeon HD driver Wiki at:
http://wiki.amiga.org/radeonhd"

I opened the link and in the wiki you can read:
"From Version 5, the RadeonHD driver only supports Southern Islands chipsets such as the RadeonHD 7770, R7-240 and R7-250."

This is very messed up documentation! Why isn't this text written in the installer or the readme? This could have saved me a lot of trouble!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@skygecko

Quote:
And what does the > do?

It should go before. What it does is comment out the driver, so it won't be loaded.

Specifically which graphics card do you have? You say you have a Radeon RX (i.e. Polaris card), in which case the RadeonHD.chip driver would be irrelevant. The RadeonHD.chip driver does NOT interfere with cards that use the RadeonRX.chip driver. It makes me wonder what else changed on your system...

Quote:
This is very messed up documentation! Why isn't this text written in the installer or the readme? This could have saved me a lot of trouble!

Sorry about that. I updated the "REQUIREMENTS" section in the readme with the supported cards list, but didn't notice the bit in the about section or the installer. Nobody else did either, until now...

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@skygecko
Quote:
And what does the > do?

; not >, and before MODULE, to disable a kickstart module.

For example
;MODULE kickstart/RadeonHD.chip

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I thought the ; is for commenting out, that's why the confusion.
Edit: @joerg thanks for clarifying, that's what I was thinking!

I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 550 GPU and also a PowerColor X1950 Pro which I now tested. With both GPUs the OS won't load anymore.
So, when the V5 driver drops functionality for older GPU's like this X1950 card, wouldn't it be great to have also the V3 drivers as a fallback than overwriting them?
For example, one could have RadeonHDv3.chip and RadeonHDv5.chip as well as RadeonRX.chip and ATIRadeon.chip, so that upon boot the suitable driver will be loaded!

So in my case, I either need to overwrite the V5 driver with a V3 driver from Enhancer or get a Southern Islands card from Ebay...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@skygecko

Quote:
I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 550 GPU and also a PowerColor X1950 Pro which I now tested. With both GPUs the OS won't load anymore.

Very strange. As I said, the RadeonHD.chip driver should *NOT* interfere with the RadeonHD.chip driver. The only possibility I can think of, is if you have both cards plugged in, and UBoot picks the X1950 Pro as primaary card.
Quote:
..., wouldn't it be great to have also the V3 drivers as a fallback than overwriting them?
For example, one could have RadeonHDv3.chip and RadeonHDv5.chip as well as RadeonRX.chip and ATIRadeon.chip, so that upon boot the suitable driver will be loaded!

Would be nice, but the graphics system has no way of prioritizing drivers.

I personally keep a backup copy of kickstart on my system so that I can easily undo mistakes. It would be useful if an automated kickstart backup system existed...

Quote:
So in my case, I either need to overwrite the V5 driver with a V3 driver from Enhancer or get a Southern Islands card from Ebay...

Start by commenting out the RadeonHD.chip driver, and try booting with just the Radeon RX 550 plugged in. Or, copy the RadeonHD.chip from your installation CD (yes, the "lite" driver). Assuming that gets your system back to booting, then you can download the RadeonHD.chip v3 driver via AmiStore.

Or, you could try the Java based AmiStore client that someone created.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thank you very much for your support so far Hans, as I hopefully supported you by buying the driver.

The SAM460 takes only one GPU, so I was switching them.

I totally forgot the lite driver from the installation CD... Yeah that worked :) Finally I was able to install the driver from Enhancer 2.2 again. But the java based AmiStore is a great idea, too! Good to know and surly be handy in the future!

I hope within the next Enhancer release, the driver installation will be more failure-proof ;)

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@hans
Quote:
I personally keep a backup copy of kickstart on my system so that I can easily undo mistakes. It would be useful if an automated kickstart backup system existed...

AmiUpdate has a mechanism for rollback. Since this is not used by Enhancer package, I hope in the future we could see a similar feature coming into Updater.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@walkero

You can’t roll back anything if you can’t boot into the system.
perhaps a safe boot option should be added to slb2 menu.
actually openfirme boot loader used on CFE is not even have the menu activated by default.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
a safe option that has a minimal kickstart and no user-startup would have saved me a bunch of times recently while getting stuff setup and installed

Amiga x5040 ı 16GB ı RX580
GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The best safety is to create a separate boot partition, keeping both updated, but in such a way that you always update one first, check if it still boots, and if not, boot the other one and remove your updates from the first one.

Only if the newly updated system does boot and work, should the second (fallback) partition also be updated.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
; not >, and before MODULE, to disable a kickstart module.

I should feel ashamed for making such an error.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@skygecko

Quote:
Thank you very much for your support so far Hans

You're welcome. I'm glad you've got your system up and running again.

@nbache

Quote:
The best safety is to create a separate boot partition,

Good idea, although you don't necessarily need a separate partition. I create a backup sub-directory in SYS:Kickstart, and copy all kickstart modules into there. I know they're working, because I booted with that kickstart. Next, I open up SYS:Kickstart/Kicklayout, and create a copy of the existing layout. I rename that one as "AmigaOS 4.1 Backup", and update the path for all the modules to Kickstart/Backup/*. A quick reboot will confirm if the backup version works or not.

Due to my work on drivers, I also have an "old RadeonHD/RX" kicklayout that only uses the backup versions of of the graphics drivers. That way I can recover quickly from a bad test driver.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans
@nbache

Wouldn't it be possible to have a second directory named "Kickstart2" with all the relevant modules and at boot time load all the modules from this second directory, by having a second configuration in the kicklayout file?

What if I rename the RadeonHD v3 driver to "RadeonHD_v3.chip" and v5 to "RadeonHD_v5.chip" put them both in the same "Kickstart" directory and just have two different configurations in the Kicklayout, one loading v3 and the second loading v5.

Would that work?

I too do miss the early boot menu, "boot without Startup-Sequence" and "warm reboot" with the v5 and RX driver.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Tuvok

Quote:
Wouldn't it be possible to have a second directory named "Kickstart2" with all the relevant modules and at boot time load all the modules from this second directory, by having a second configuration in the kicklayout file?

That's what Hans just described.

Amiga x5040 ı 16GB ı RX580
GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Tuvok
Quote:
I too do miss the early boot menu, "boot without Startup-Sequence" and "warm reboot" with the v5 and RX driver.

You can still boot with no startup by holding shift or ctrl during boot, right?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MartinW

Quote:
@Tuvok

Quote:

That's what Hans just described.

Yes, except that Hans suggested putting the extra configuration into a subdirectory inside the main Kickstart directory.

And I agree about that, I've also been doing that in many cases (and I probably have the record in number of different boot configs, being a long time OS4 beta tester - on my X1000, the AmigaBoot menu currently goes up to the letter N ). IMHO, it is easier to maintain and keep tidy by keeping it all inside the main Kickstart hierarchy.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post