Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 72 »
Re: What the fastest possible x64 emulation way of OS4 today ?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

I will say this, did you read what I sent you?
It doesn't work quite right yet but it's there.

https://i.imgur.com/woh3F3E.jpg

edit:

I think the MicroA1 had such a card (of this family) :

"...owners of the old MicroA1, where a Radeon 7000 with 32MB of graphics memory is permanently built-in. The R100 series came in versions with either 32MB or 64MB of VRAM...".

https://www.amigaone.pl/?p=2588

Edited by smarkusg on 2023/6/24 18:18:20
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@balaton
Thanks once again for your suggestion
I had read the email but couldn't get it to work.

@all

AmiCygnix seems to change the listening port on every startup
If that's what I was able to figure out.
And I don't know how to always open AmiCygnix on the same port.

I use SSHTerm with:
SSHTerm=Server IP user=white
I access the linux terminal and type:
export DISPLAY=172.118.1.1:0.0 (for example).

Now in the AmiCygnix /etc files there are displays ranging (xhost) from 0 to 9, I imagine that x.10 can also be added if desired.

The server's IP is indicated there, for example 192.168.213.129

once you choose xhost for example
192.168.213.129 X0.host

for example, the video launched with FFPLAY should appear

this does not happen and I only hear the sound
I don't have any error such as "cannot open display"

I have no idea how to make it work any other way
so I ask the forum for help to explain how to do it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

here my command line:

qemu-system-ppc -cpu g3 -L pc-bios -M pegasos2 -bios /home/white/Scaricati/pegasos2.rom -m 1024 -serial stdio -device sm501 -drive if=none,id=hd,file=/ home/white/Downloads/32gb.raw,format=raw -device ide-hd,drive=hd,bus=ide.1 -netdev user,id=unet,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22 -device rtl8139,netdev =unet -vga xenfb -drive if=none,id=hd1,file=/home/white/Downloads/coffin.raw,format=raw -device ide-hd,drive=hd1,bus=ide.1

If possible, I need a practical example. Thank you.

I can't understand the concept of its working with Hostfwd and Port forwarding and this is a problem for me if I don't understand how it works I will never get it to work.

Edited by white on 2023/6/24 18:16:24
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@smarkusg
Quote:
I will say this, did you read what I sent you?
It doesn't work quite right yet but it's there.
According to balaton it's not there, only some preliminary and useless 2D emulation without any CCE support, which of course means no AmigaOS Radeon gfx driver can work with it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
note that by rebooting the entire OS linux

is no longer using:

sudo ip tuntap add mode tap dev tap0
sudo ip addr add 172.18.1.1/24 dev tap0
sudo ip link set dev tap0 up
sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 172.18.0.1/24 -d 172.18.1.1 -j MASQUERADE

so in fact tuntap is not active
for example with the simple:
ifconfig
tap0 is not present among the network devices to choose.

the IP address 172.18.1.1 remains
while in fact it shouldn't be active anymore

is the connection to the internet services is active and working
even with the simple:

-device rtl8139,netdev=mynet0 -netdev user,id=mynet0
which has always been 172.18.1.1

while it really shouldn't work.

so I don't think an external IP is actually obtained.

Why shouldn't it work if I don't use :
sudo ip link set dev tap0 up.

But it's not important I'm happy with the emulation the developments that there will be in the future will certainly be interesting.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@white
Quote:

I can't understand the concept of its working with Hostfwd and Port forwarding and this is a problem for me if I don't understand how it works I will never get it to work.

See https://goteleport.com/blog/x11-forwarding/ for some explanation. I think you should replace hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22 with hostfwd=tcp::6010-:6000 in your command line and then use DISPLAY=localhost:10

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BALATON Zoltan

I'm glad you registered on amigans and share your knowledge with the capable AmigaOs 4.1 developers. It is really exciting to read along

@all

We should really start to work on a suitable driver for Qemu to make at least the 32 bit output available for this emulation. Unfortunately I am not a programmer and can only serve as a beta tester.

If we all work together we could make this happen in the near future. As I like to use AmigaOs4.1 very much I would be very happy to be able to use 32 bit windows.

I personally would also donate, as I am convinced of this emulation and it already works very well on my machine.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg @smarkusg

You are both right. There is a partial rv100 emulation option of ati-vga in QEMU but as almost all Radeon drivers use CCE it's not yet too useful. It only works with simple Linux framebuffer for now not with AmigaOS or MorphOS drivers so it would need more development to be usable that's why I did not advertise it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@derfs

First of all what is gpu.rom, where did you get that and why is it needed? Can't it use the ROM on the card? It may need to be enabled from the host or QEMU run as root, I don't know but I'd just want to make sure the gpu.rom you're using is matching the card and should work at all.

The pegasos2 version at least tries to run the BIOS so it can at least see the card. Did you try to boot anyway and see what happens when the AmigaOS or MorphOS driver starts and if it can init the card itself? Since you have to type the boot command for pegasos2 you need to find out how to get input to the machine with a passed through card. Normally if you type in the window opened by QEMU that goes to the VM but I'm not sure what happens if you only have a passed through graphics card. Do you still have a QEMU window where you can type? If not you may try to add another graphics card such as -device VGA,romfile="" just to have a window where you can type the " /failsafe" io command or the boot command to get past the firmware and see what the OS driver can do with the passed through card, it would ignore the VGA device so that should not be a problem.

The sam460ex case does not seem to work at all, likely because we need more of the PCIe controller emulated. In the info qtree output the ROM is mapped at 0xa0000000 but if you check info mtree there's nothing there. Probably we need similar PCI windows for the PCIe bus that we have for PCI bus but I'm not sure which registers should control that. As I said I have no docs on 460EX so could only consult similar chips and those may work differently. The PCIe controller emulation is implemented at the very end of https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/- ... r/hw/ppc/ppc440_uc.c#L764 in case sombody wants to try to fix it just drop me an email if you work on it to avoid duplicated work.

Even if the sam460ex PCIe controller emulation would be fixed the CPU emulation on sam460ex is slower than on pegasos2. I've found the reason (related to software TLB emulation) but fixing it would need some more investigation and time so it's not likely it would be fixed in next QEMU release which means it may only be improved in 8.2 due in December so I think if it works with pegasos2 that may be better for now but you may have better luck with a PCI card than a PCIe card on pegasos2

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@balaton glad to see you here.

Once again I ask to opensource some existing AmigaOS software, just like gfx drivers, bios roms and others important keys of Amiga OS system to help community improve/expand existing compatibility and let dream continue.

Today with QEMU and development of ZBalaton we can get fully working virtual machine to let anyone come back, or make new knowledge, of AmigaOS.
You can be sure at same time also hardware makers and software developers will have their part of the cake.

At moment we have NO cake.. or someone really thinks sell some hundred of pieces of anything between software/hardware is the real goal?

We absolutely need to think bigger

Memento audere semper!
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@flash

Quote:
Once again I ask to opensource some existing AmigaOS software, just like gfx drivers, bios roms and others important keys of Amiga OS system to help community improve/expand existing compatibility and let dream continue.

Open-sourcing isn't necessarily the best way forward. The only reason I can afford to write graphics drivers for AmigaOS is because A-EON pays me, and they can only pay me because they're able to sell software & hardware.

What would help is if developer documentation for things such as graphics drivers were opened up. No need to open source the drivers themselves, just make the documentation needed to write them open. I've advocated for this before, and hope it'll eventually happen.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I've ordered a PCIe to Pci bridge card in the name of science. So tomorrow we'll know if a Radeon 9250 will work.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@geennaam
Quote:
I've ordered a PCIe to Pci bridge card in the name of science. So tomorrow we'll know if a Radeon 9250 will work.

At least that should work on real hardware according to https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Pegasos_II
In the meantime you could try booting with your PCIe cards ignoring the errors from firmware as I wrote above (try " /failsafe" io to get the ok prompt back on serial where you can type the boot command or try typing the boot command blindly, see explanation in above posts) and see what happens.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@Hans
Quote:
Open-sourcing isn't necessarily the best way forward. The only reason I can afford to write graphics drivers for AmigaOS is because A-EON pays me, and they can only pay me because they're able to sell software & hardware

Would it make sense to start a kickstarter for the virtio-gfx driver? This way we will see how many are interested in something like that and your work will be able to be paid in advance. Also, people will be able to buy it after the kickstarter from your e-shop if they want to jump on.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

Open sourcing the full Radeon driver may not be needed but publishing sample code for a simple frame buffer driver would definitely help. The docs on P96 API and driver writing docs were published recently by Individual Computers so if that's applicable for AOS4 too then these are available already but the sample code there is for 68k and supports a lot of stuff not needed for a simple driver. So a driver may be written based on that but for somebody without previous knowledge a simple example code might be more helpful to get started quickly.

Another part that would be useful to have open sourced is amigaboot.of which now needs the pegasos2.rom to run but if it was open source I could modify it to work with QEMU's minimal Virtual Open Firmware which can already boot MorphOS so if we had AmigaOS also work with that then we would not need the non-free firmware ROM any more. This could also help avoiding problems with the firmware as we could handle those in amigaboot.of which might even be useful for real machines later. But since I have no access to the source for amigaboot.of I can only reverse engineer and rewrite it from scratch to do that which would be simpler if this was released as open source.

I don't want to mention this further here to not derail this thread and keep it for discussing pegasos2 and sam460ex emulation in QEMU but in my view I could not write these emulations if QEMU was not open source so at least in some cases having open source is better. A large part of Apple's OSes are open source too and MorphOS also used AROS to reduce the work needed to write it so doing everthing closed is much more work than it should be needed otherwise and I'm not sure there's enough market left to support that work. But again let's not discuss this here to keep the thread on topic.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkeroQuote:
walkero wrote:@Hans

Would it make sense to start a kickstarter for the virtio-gfx driver? This way we will see how many are interested in something like that and your work will be able to be paid in advance. Also, people will be able to buy it after the kickstarter from your e-shop if they want to jump on.

I have no idea about GFX driver writing, but I would support such a Kickstarter Project.

@balaton

Writing virtio-gfx for AmigaOs4.1 would probably not be the only thing, I'm not sure but also in Qemu Peg2 there would probably have to be big changes to make it all work. Or would this change only require the guest system including virtio-gfx driver. Qemu PPC already supports virtio?

What I actually wanted to say would have to provide only the driver for AmigaOs4.1, or would be also under Qemu adjustments necessary.

@geennaam

I am curious if it works with the PCIe to PCI bridge. Even if it won't be a solution to the overall Qemu Peg2/Sam460 problem.

Edited by Maijestro on 2023/6/25 17:39:58
Edited by Maijestro on 2023/6/25 19:34:11
MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@balatonQuote:
balaton wrote:@derfs

First of all what is gpu.rom, where did you get that and why is it needed?

Its the bios on the R9 270 card im using for passthrough, but its a left-over from trying different things to see if it made any difference. It didnt.
Quote:

The pegasos2 version at least tries to run the BIOS so it can at least see the card. Did you try to boot anyway and see what happens when the AmigaOS or MorphOS driver starts and if it can init the card itself?

I tried a few things and could not get it to work.
Quote:

The sam460ex case does not seem to work at all, likely because we need more of the PCIe controller emulated. In the info qtree output the ROM is mapped at 0xa0000000 but if you check info mtree there's nothing there. Probably we need similar PCI windows for the PCIe bus that we have for PCI bus but I'm not sure which registers should control that.

I would guess its more complicated due to the single SATA sharing the PCIe x1 signals - link.

Thank you for your contributions over the years to get this emulation to a point where its very usable.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MaijestroQuote:

Writing virtio-gfx for AmigaOs4.1 would probably not be the only thing, I'm not sure but also in Qemu Peg2 there would probably have to be big changes to make it all work. Or would this change only require the guest system including virtio-gfx driver. Qemu PPC already supports virtio?

What I actually wanted to say would have to provide only the driver for AmigaOs4.1, or would be also under Qemu adjustments necessary.

Just think of it as another device, such as sm501, but its missing the AmigaOS driver part.

Display devices:
name "ati-vga"bus PCI
name 
"bochs-display"bus PCI
name 
"cirrus-vga"bus PCIdesc "Cirrus CLGD 54xx VGA"
name "secondary-vga"bus PCI
name 
"sm501"bus PCIdesc "SM501 Display Controller"
name "VGA"bus PCI
name 
"virtio-gpu-device"bus virtio-bus
name 
"virtio-gpu-gl-device"bus virtio-bus
name 
"virtio-gpu-gl-pci"bus PCIalias "virtio-gpu-gl"
name "virtio-gpu-pci"bus PCIalias "virtio-gpu"

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@derfs
Quote:
I tried a few things and could not get it to work.

That's not a lot of detail to understand what you tried and how it did not work. Did you get an ok prompt and could continue booting AmigaOS? Did the driver try to talk to the card? You might be able to get some detailed logs with enabling vfio traces with -trace enable="vfio*" to see if it does something at all. Passing through an older and simpler card first may have higher chance of working than starting with the newest most complex one.

Quote:

I would guess its more complicated due to the single SATA sharing the PCIe x1 signals - link.

The linked datasheet also mentions that there are 2 PCIe buses, one 4 lane and one 1 lane. Fortunately the SATA is connected to the 1 lane and the 16x slot to the 4 lane PCIe bus so nothing is shared there. (Also we don't emulate the on board SATA so I would not care.) I think the first problem is that I did not fully implement the PCIe for sam460ex because we did not have use for it so far. I've started looking at cleaning up and enhancing that but as said there are other problems with sam460ex so trying to work with pegasos2 would be better.

Quote:

Thank you for your contributions over the years to get this emulation to a point where its very usable.

There seems to be still a lot to improve despite all that work so this may keep me busy for more years.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

Yes QEMU supports all kinds of virtio devices already, only guest drivers would be needed to use them so this could be done by somebody who knows AmigaOS and needs no changes in QEMU.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Walkero
Quote:

If I did a "kickstarter," I'd likely run it via my own website. There's enough trust in the community that we don't need to give 5% (or whatever it is) to Kickstarter. There are some other issues to consider, though, the biggest one being fragmentation. People are already complaining and/or getting confused with needing to buy the OS from Hyperion, and graphics drivers + extras from A-EON. It would take some negotiation for me to be able to offer a unified emulation package with everything you need. After that, I might get into conflict with Cloanto due to selling a package with AmigaOS 4.1 included.

@balaton

A few quick comments...

Open vs closed source: I'm simply warning that open-sourcing doesn't guarantee anything. Plenty of projects have been open-sourced, and die. Good leadership is what makes a project succeed or fail. Projects with leaders who know how to make their business model** work and have good communication skills are much more likely to succeed compared to those that don't.

Graphics drivers: The released Picasso96 documentation is missing AmigaOS 4 extensions. They should theoretically work, but things such as hardware accelerated compositing and EDID would be absent.

@Maijestro
Quote:

Try adding "-device virtio-gpu-pci" to your qemu command line parameters, and then look at the PCI devices list (e.g., using Ranger)...

Hans

** NOTE: Business model doesn't have to mean "for-profit."

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 72 »