Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Can anyone compile SimpleMail?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I've been using SimpleMail for my email on OS4 and it's been working fine up until now. Recently my ISP (Comcast) has decided the security is outdated and they will no longer let me use SimpleMail for email. Still work with Yahoo mail.

SimpleMail source is available on git hub HERE
Looking at the OS4 makefile I can see that it can be compiled to use AmiSSL or OpenSSL. I'm wondering if it could be compiled to use a later version of one of those libraries which could allow it to work again.

Hence my question, is there someone who has compiled SimpleMail or can compile SimpleMail? Maybe we could get it updated a bit to use more modern version of security.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Re: Can anyone compile SimpleMail?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ktadd

I received that same warning from Comcast, but when I used their test email link with Simplemail, it came back saying everything was OK. Are you up to date with AmiSSL?

On another note with Simplemail, do you or others get an ISI after collecting new emails from an imap account? It doesn't happen all the time, but maybe 80% of the time, and I have to reboot, after which Simplemail functions normally again.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul
Quote:
I received that same warning from Comcast, but when I used their test email link with Simplemail, it came back saying everything was OK. Are you up to date with AmiSSL?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly, I was using an older version of simplemail due to some bugs in the new version and I got locked out. I've put in a request to comcast to see if they will unlock me so I can try with the newer version.

Quote:
On another note with Simplemail, do you or others get an ISI after collecting new emails from an imap account?

Sorry, I use Simplemail in pop3 mode so I can't be any help here. :(

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ktadd

Sorry, I haven't tried building SimpleMail. I stopped using mail clients on AmigaOS years ago, because they're seriously lagging behind in capabilities.** Mind you, I tried switching from Thunderbird to other clients a few times (including commercial mail clients), and switched back each time. There's always something missing that I use...

I'd love to see a modern email client on AmigaOS, whether it's a modernized SimpleMail, YAM, or something like the Iris client for MorphOS. Maybe once the new WebKit port is done... Either way, I don't have the additional bandwidth to be involved.

Hans

** I have multiple email accounts with over a GB of email. Needless to say, the listview gadget & other parts need to be able to handle very long lists & data sets.

Edited by Hans on 2023/4/20 7:32:07
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans try kmail, its very good.
It's the only one that made me forget YAM.

I have the same problem with SimpleMail and Yahoo.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ktadd

Do you get a SSL error with Simplemail?

According to that github page, simplemail can be compiled statically or non-statically with openssl.

In case you have the non-statically linked one and the OpenSSL library interface remains the same, a new openSSL library is enough.

If your provider uses a newer encryption protocol which SimpleMail needs to be aware of then a simnple recompile will not help you anyways.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam

Quote:
In case you have the non-statically linked one and the OpenSSL library interface remains the same, a new openSSL library is enough.

Sadly, OpenSSL doesn't maintain full backward compatibility with previous versions.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
If I could get SimpleMail compiled on my X1000, I might be inclined to try and fix some bugs. I already submitted a bug a few years ago with exact liine of code that needed to change to fix it but, unfortunatly, it seems nobody is supporting it anymore.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am in contact with the developer for quite some time and he definitely is going to continue his work on SimpleMail. Unfortunately, he is very busy so it is not clear when it will happen...

I tried to use it with IMAP account but it crashes very often. Sent mails are not saved on sent folder etc.

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / AmigaOS 3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@PrimaxQuote:
I am in contact with the developer for quite some time and he definitely is going to continue his work on SimpleMail. Unfortunately, he is very busy so it is not clear when it will happen...

That's great. I wonder if a financial incentive would help him free up some time?

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ktadd
Good news. After wasting two hours with Comcast/Xfinity's phone support this morning, including getting elevated to higher support, I finally gave up and posted on the Comcast support forum where a Comcast employee helped me get the ban on the email client lifted. I can now use SimpleMail again for my Comcast email!

Sure hope SimpleMail support starts back up again.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top

Register To Post