Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

MartinW, kishigo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »
Re: Introducing the Rear Window blog
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

Thanks for trying out the new version, Kevin!

Quote:
I clicked it and the waveform was saved over the original without warning, which suprised me a bit.

This is normal and expected behaviour for the Save function. You don't want a "File has been modified!" warning requester here because it's understood - the Save function only becomes available when the file has been modified. But I'm thinking about bringing up the Save As file requester in this situation for lossy formats, so that the user can configure them before saving.

Quote:
Checking the bitrate I saw that it had been changed to 32k.

The problem is that libsndfile doesn't support saving at a user-specified bitrate. You can only set Encoding Quality for variable bitrates, or choose from a selection of fixed bitrates as provided by the library. From what you've described, I think the problem is that my code invokes Save using the default encoding options, instead of trying to configure them closer to the original bitrate. I'll have a look - until then, please use Save As

Edited by trixie on 2023/1/17 5:41:29
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
Thanks for trying out the new version, Kevin!

No problem. I'm enjoying using Rave. The insert silence feature is very useful.

Perhaps a Save as button in the toolbar would be good as well. I most likely won't want to save at the default bitrate.

If possible, a way for the user to select a specific fixed bitrate would be good, or maybe some documentation of what bitrate or range of bitrates the different quality settings will use.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

Quote:
Perhaps a Save as button in the toolbar would be good as well.

I agree, it's on my to-do list.

Quote:
a way for the user to select a specific fixed bitrate would be good

It surely would, but unfortunately, the I/O library Rave uses doesn't support that It only allows setting an abstract "compression level" as a value between 0 and 1.0, which the library internally maps to a bitrate value. So I don't have much control over that. Even if I find out that, for example, compression level 6.0 corresponds to 128kpbs for a 44.1kHz file, it will be a different bitrate for a lower-frequency file. So I can't just offer a selector in Rave with pre-defined bitrate values to choose from.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

The Save function now (i.e. in the upcoming version 1.6) works as follows:

- If the project was loaded from a file format that is also supported for saving (such as WAV or AIFF), the Save function will save the file immediately. As I said, this is the standard and expected behaviour. An "Always confirm save" prefs option may be introduced at a later point to help prevent accidental overwrites.
- If the project was loaded from a file format that is not supported for saving (such as VOX or AU), the function will bring up the Save As requester so that the user can choose and configure the target format.
- If the project was loaded from a compressed file format such as MP3 or FLAC, the Save function will first bring up a configuration window for the respective format so that the user can configure the compression parameters. The window also has a Cancel button, so the saving can be cancelled at this point if needed.

A lot of improvement since the current public version I think

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
The Save function now (i.e. in the upcoming version 1.6) works as follows:

Sounds good. I look forward to trying it out. I still would like to see a "Save as" button in the toolbar. Thanks for the continued work.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
hope you will found time to implement the pause button into the transport bar

Done for the upcoming version 1.6!

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

The new post on the Rear Window blog hails the soon-to-be-released Rave version 1.6.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
The new post on the Rear Window blog hails the soon-to-be-released Rave version 1.6.

As usual, nice read. Nice expansion of supported formats. Can't wait to give it a try. Keep up the good work!

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

Thanks for reading! Oh by the way, your Save As toolbar button is implemented in the new version

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Thanks for the blog and Rave 1.6 update.

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
@ktadd
Thanks for reading! Oh by the way, your Save As toolbar button is implemented in the new version

Finally got a chance to download and try out the new version. Loving all the supported formats and the Save As with the ability to Configure the setting!
Small donation on the way. Bigger donation to come once recording gets implemented. That would really round out the applicatoin nicely. Keep up the great work! Thanks!

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

I always enjoy reading your blog entries. You write very well, particularly for someone who is (I presume) not a native English speaker.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

Quote:
Small donation on the way. Bigger donation to come once recording gets implemented.

Thank you very much for the donation, Kevin! My plan is to develop the recording module before the summer.

@msteed

Quote:
I always enjoy reading your blog entries. You write very well, particularly for someone who is (I presume) not a native English speaker.

Thanks for saying so, and I'm glad you like the blog!

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

I've been following this project closely since the beginning and Rave definitely starts to look very promising editor - Good work!

One feature request to consider: zooming with mousewheel could be mouse position dependant? Now zooming is always centered in wave display.

X5000, Peg2, mA1
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@densho

Thank you for using Rave!

In all honesty, I'm not happy about the program's zooming functionality: it's not as good as I'd like it to be. The way it works very much stems from how the soundeditor.gadget is designed, which is not my original work. For example, you cannot set a particular zoom ratio (say, 30%); instead, the gadget zooms in/out and then reports what the current ratio is. I'd like it to work differently, but then I'd have to rewrite a good deal of the gadget code.

Improving the zooming is on my to-do list, but currently I feel I'd better implement recording (planned for version 1.8) and finally write some effect plugins.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

I agree with the feedback regarding zooming and you seem to be on the same page.

That said, I think your priorities are in line with what users wants, such as recording and more effects/tools (Normalize, Noise Gate etc... effects as you wrote).

I can live with the zoom working the way it does now.

Keep up the great work!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

The new blog post is a bit more personal this time and less about development, but I hope you'll enjoy it.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie
Don't worry, you're right and Dave is wrong.

Well, Dave is actually a bit of a simple person (simple means here: has a big IQ but a narrow view).
Who forgot what roots look like, never understand things as a whole.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trixie
Interesting read!

Of course, you can't expect that ppls from the past do have same sensitive connection with something with which you and we have. It's all just different for everyone.

But to add, the man who didn't solve main man's instincts and didn't have a lifes to which he has responsibility (i mean childs and wifes), will of course didn't consider any kind of other interest to be worth enough.

It's your own victory to have a part of live where you can allow yourself be a happy child while still being a 45-year-old man :) Many ppls only wish about.

Dave and co often end up alone over TV with a beer. And it's also often happens that the ppls from childhood are totally different from what they are after 20 years. I have seen many of my friends changed that much to the "bad" side :)

The hobby and ability to spend time on, thinking about past, present, about everything and have "analize of", it's the prize of the ppls who are sort their own lives. Think about those millioners collecting cars, and what such "Daves" will say them when they will start talking about some car from 1890. Or about anyone else having an interesting hobby, which many of ppls can't understand or allow.

Probably the only reason why you take it all seriously, because it was a man from childhood. I also didn't like to see what happens with the ppls from childhood. They often ends bad, sadly.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie
Leave "Dave" in the past. It sounds like he lack passion for anything.
A life without passion is a pretty empty life.

I know well the expericence of looking back in life on experiences that you had a passion for and then you come to find out the person you were sharing those experiences with were really passionate about it. While it's dissappointing, it doesn't take away the feeling you experienced during that time.

Look towards those who share the passions you do now and enjoy your experience in the here and now. Know that there are others, such as myself, that use and enjoy the projects that are born of your passion. Most of use here share your passion and enjoy the experiances it brings. As long as you enjoy what you do, then it doesn't really matter what other people think. Keep the passion.

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »