Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
41 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 41

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »
Re: x1000 documentation and other x1000 related questions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

I think it was made for the X1000 - it is supposedly a remake of the original boot sound from the Amiga 1000, which the X1000 is named after. So that's probably why it was only activated there.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
Just in case someone in this topic found it intersting, i created some big video about x1000 on which i spend for about a week.

I thought the video was big because the X1000 was slow to boot.

That was quite extensive. Interesting footage there. Remember when computing was fun and Trevor had brown hair?

I couldn't imagine hacking into a case with a grinder. Even a cheap one. I have issues with modifying new products.

I noticed you booted the OS4 manually. Was the CD boot menu broken? With standard HD and CD setup even HD boot should find CD first and boot it.

I didn't see USB booting so the mystery still remains. Now you can see why a patched CD booter was needed. Especially with an R7 250. One thing though, with the RadeonHD v5 driver, you have no soft reboot support. So if you want to reboot, even just reboot AmigaOS, you will be unable too and will need to wait for a full slow boot again.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TearsOfMe
Quote:

But i get in trouble when i broke this port. Get me a pain of headache before i came to the solution to boot from a CFCard Adapter in the old atapi port on the mainboard.

You mean you were able to rawwrite installion ISO and boot from CFCard attached to ide port on motherboard ? I mean, x1000 did take it as CD-Drive and sucsefully boot from ? Or, you format it as FFS, and then copy on another amiga whole content to it ?

I just want to get rid of all those slow CD-drivers, and if that works for X1000 (if i understand you right), then it mean i can do the same for Pegasos2 when need it .. For pegasos2 i already have ide2sata adapters for both SSD and CD-Drive, and one for CD-Drive works fine with sata CDs. Probabaly if replace this one on something like ide2usb, it may works too ..

Can you bring a link on what one you use in x1000 ?

And another question: why didn't use CF2Sata adapter then and attach it to the sata1 instead of atapi ? Was there any reassons to use CF2IDE exactly and not CF2Sata ?

And, as final question : why just not use compactflash directly to x1000 , without cf2<anything> adapter, so to boot installation from this one ? Or it used for amigaboot.of and you don't want to loose this one ?

Edited by kas1e on 2022/11/20 14:13:50
Edited by kas1e on 2022/11/20 14:58:57
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
As i remember i tryed this ISO on the card solution not. Only amigaboot.of and the Kickstart files in a ffs partition. Sata1 has not work for me, dont now anymore why.
Sorry, all so long ago.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All
I want to speed up the x1000 loading, so if the ones who do know x1000 well can bring a whole output of "printenv" they had ?

My one currently is:

[CFE ]CFEprintenv
Variable Name        Value
-------------------- --------------------------------------------------
ETH0_HWADDR          00:50:C2:20:DA:2E
MENU_DEFAULT         0
MENU_0_LABEL         AmigaOS 4.x
speed                set pmu 
-astate=A4
MENU_1_LABEL         AmigaOS
-CD-Boot
MENU_TIMEOUT         0
setpmu               astate
pmuastate            
=
STARTUP              speed menu
setpmu
-estate        =
MENUbootargs         root=/dev/sdb5 quiet ro splash
bootars              root
=/dev/sdb5
MENU_0_COMMAND       boot 
-fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of
MENU_1_COMMAND       boot 
-fs=iso atapi0.1:amigaboot.of
os4_commandline      serial debuglevel
=1
framebuffer          800
/600/8/0x90000000/832
BOOT_CONSOLE         pcconsole0
CFE_VERSION          PAS
CFE_BOARDNAME        NEMO
CFE_MEMORYSIZE       4096
*** command status 0
CFE
>

At least that the state it was on previous owner, just with many more other menu labels/commands which i deleted for now. Did anyone noticed something else which have no needs to be there and can be deleted, or , something which can improve boot time ?

I not sure if MENUbootargs and bootargs should stay, these probabaly leftovers from unix installs ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

looks like you clean up everything,
maybe you have removed a few things you should not have.

this is what my mess looks like:

little-endian?=
ETH0_HWADDR=00:50:C2:20:DA:5B
MENU_0_LABEL
=AmigaOS
MENU_1_LABEL
=AmigaOS CD Boot
MENU_0_COMMAND
=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y ;boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of
MENU_1_COMMAND
=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y ;boot -fs=iso atapi0.1:amigaboot.of
MENU_DEFAULT
=0
os4commandline
=DEBUGLEVEL=5 SERIAL
keymap_swapaltamiga
=off
MENU_TIMEOUT
=30
STARTUP
=set pmu -astate=a4;menu
MENU_2_COMMAND
=setenv amigaboot_quiet N;boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of
MENU_2_LABEL
=amiga boot options
framebuffer
=800/600/8/0x90000000/832
BOOT_CONSOLE
=pcconsole0
CFE_VERSION
=PAS-2.0.30
CFE_BOARDNAME
=NEMO
CFE_MEMORYSIZE
=4096
amigaboot_quiet
=Y

Useful if you have keyboard with a missing ALT key, or hate using Right ALT key.

keymap_swapaltamiga=off

Menu timeout, can nice to have, even if set low

MENU_TIMEOUT=30

this is not std, but it removes the speed variable.

STARTUP=set pmu -astate=a4;menu

framebuffer

pritty sure it has do with Linux kernel config options, but looks standard.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2022/11/29 14:08:45
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

setpmu               astate 
pmuastate            

setpmu-estate        
MENUbootargs         root=/dev/sdb5 quiet ro splash 
bootars              root
=/dev/sdb5

Those are not part of an original setup and most surely linux residues and/or some settings from the previous owner, but nowhere used, so safe to get rid off

Speed-wise it's already the best you can get, nothing more you could optimize with this CFE revision.

...maybe set debuglevel to 0 (for speed in WB), but i guess you'll need them for betatesting?

edit:

Ah, i see those broken values come from liveforit

You need to enclose them
setenv -p STARTUP "set pmu -astate=a4 ; menu"

to make them work (from the top of my head)

But actually you don't need them either, since you already have a "speed" variable set up and
STARTUP "speed ; menu"
is already used in your setup

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@liveforit, raziel

Yeah, deleted all the crap, and now have this:

CFEprintenv
Variable Name        Value
-------------------- --------------------------------------------------
ETH0_HWADDR          00:50:C2:20:DA:2E
MENU_DEFAULT         0
MENU_0_LABEL         AmigaOS 4.x
MENU_1_LABEL         AmigaOS
-CD-Boot
MENU_TIMEOUT         20
MENU_0_COMMAND       boot 
-fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of
MENU_1_COMMAND       boot 
-fs=iso atapi0.1:amigaboot.of
os4_commandline      serial debuglevel
=1
framebuffer          800
/600/8/0x90000000/832
BOOT_CONSOLE         pcconsole0
CFE_VERSION          PAS
CFE_BOARDNAME        NEMO
CFE_MEMORYSIZE       4096
STARTUP              set pmu 
-astate=a4menu
*** command status 0
CFE
>

@Raziel

As for debuglevel=1, it's not add anything much, if it save anything for boot time, then the only fraction of second. The most questions which i have for both x1000 and x5000 is the time wasted for showing up the boot image and for bus scanning. Sure, as it is it probably "complete scan", but will be good if one can setup it to not have logo and not not have whole scan of usb devices, but only the ones you point out on.

ps. btw your STARTUP quite were mostly correct, just no "=" should be used, i.e. working one:

setenv -p STARTUP "set pmu -astate=a4 ; menu"

@All
Btw, what i noticed, is that from time to time, the reset or poweron button, didn't fire up x1000, and stuck on this on serial:

[HELO][DRAM]

So it sometime stops there. Other times when it boots fine, the next phrase coming is "SDRAM: ECC off, Non-ECC DIMM used on channel 0" , so i assume that there is some connections issues with the memory ?

Can be the battery being faulty for this as well ? Or it still memory and/or memory connection to slots ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Now it's nice and clean and readable, i like it

MENU_TIMEOUT you could set down to "2" or "3", so if you need to change something you could still act before it boots right away (have it set to "3" myself)

wrt to the power button issues

This is a known issue/bug in CFE since day 1.
There seem to be (and take that with a grain of salt, since i know NOTHING about CFE) either a missing register check/erase (can also be witnessed by randomly failing WB cold reboots) or a faulty RAM (register?) check in CFE, which unsuccessfully clears it (the register?) and is henceforth stuck with the RAM init on it's next try.

As said, i know nothing about CFE, but i know that the RAM handling is somewhat flaky on the X1000.
I did my share of testing interleaving with all 4 RAM sockets populated and ended up with a crashy boot and even crashier (unusable) WB.
I suspect no one tested or worked on interleaving/using all 4 sockets while the development of CFE...but i'm not throwing any stones or jumping to conclusions, it's a simple hunch.

My rule of thumb is, press the power button two or three times and you're normally good to go.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Really interesting thread guys.

I never got usb to boot either, I know there can be issues with Sata connection too when reading from cd.

The x1000 /os4 always felt like a bit of a beta machine, not quite ready for end users.
saying that it was always fun figuring out how to do things and getting things to work, I had quite a long period of a stable system, but for what ever reason the last few years I just got this random crashing, did a lot of software checking, replaced sata cable, ram, cmos battery, fan on the system, fresh install, etc. it kinda better, but it still crash every now and again, it really put me off using it now, as I don’t want my Amiga time to just be troubleshooting.

Hope you have better luck with yours and welcome to the x1000 club, I feel there very few of us left now, and even fewer that it’s there only/main os4 machine.

amigang.com
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmigaNG
Yes, I can confirm that the X1000 appears to be a beta version of the X5000. The X5000 does not have all of the issues that the X1000 does; it truly feels like the next step. At least for the time being, here's what I discovered when comparing the X1000 to the X5000:

- The X1000 boots slower than the X5000 (though not by much).
- The X1000 lacked an RS232 port on the back of the motherboard, necessitating the use of an adapter.
- The X1000 has strange issues sometimes with non-passed tests for RAM on reboots.
 - The X1000 can't boot from USB (CFE or AmigaBoot issues)
 - The X1000 can't show firmware on RadeonRX (CFE issue)
- The X1000's CPU is slower than the X5000's (yes, the X1000 has Altivec, but lacking of which you not noticed today basicaly).
- There is no onboard Ethernet driver for OS4 on the X1000.

The X5000 has no such problems. It's as if AEON starts with an X1000 as test, and end up with X5000 as one of the best OS4 hardware.

So if one wants to have the best hardware for OS 4, then, imho, X5000/020 is the only way. But if someone gets an X1000 for cheap or as a gift, that's fine, but it'll just feel like all Amiga hardware feels like this, whereas the X5000 didn't have those issues and looks like a real modern computer (still).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

It's a shame AEON haven't worked to fix these problems; I don't have any numbers buf I suspect the X1000 userbase is larger.

I guess with Apple swallowing Pwrficient I suppose the network driver will never happen, but I wonder if the CFE shortfalls could be remedied.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@daveyw
Quote:
I don't have any numbers but I suspect the X1000 userbase is larger.

I dont know myself, most people who did get one seem to either left the scene or upgraded to the X5000.

I mean it still a system that I think is better than any Eyetech AmigaOne system, and faster than Sam460 or upcoming A1222. But I feel within the OS4 community most of the focus has been on X5000 systems now. I mean this the fist major thread I seen discussing X1000 in a while, great to see, but I dont see many other people/users talk about the X1000.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@daveyw
Quote:
I don't have any numbers but I suspect the X1000 userbase is larger.

I dont know myself, most people who did get one seem to either left the scene or upgraded to the X5000.

I mean it still a system that I think is better than any Eyetech AmigaOne system, and faster than Sam460 or upcoming A1222. But I feel within the OS4 community most of the focus has been on X5000 systems now. I mean this the fist major thread I seen discussing X1000 in a while, great to see, but I dont see many other people/users talk about the X1000.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw
Quote:

but I wonder if the CFE shortfalls could be remedied.

Of course everything can be fixed; we just need developers, money, and a wish. IMHO, it would be better to simply port UBoot to the X1000 instead of CFE, and then you'd have RadeonRX in the firmware, USB booting, and common firmware across all machines. And maybe even the speed of loading will be 5–10 seconds faster as well. Even ExecSG developers working on multicore will use the same code base for all OS4 hardware with multiple cores.

As for onboard ethernet: It's probably just a matter of finding a developer willing to work for money. And I didn't mean the developers who worked for years on the same driver, but someone who could take it as a job and do it fast.

Just need a wish and money and everything can be fixed. There is no fundamental issues whic stop doing this imho.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
AmigaNG wrote:
I never got usb to boot either, I know there can be issues with Sata connection too when reading from cd.

The x1000 /os4 always felt like a bit of a beta machine, not quite ready for end users.
saying that it was always fun figuring out how to do things and getting things to work, I had quite a long period of a stable system, but for what ever reason the last few years I just got this random crashing, did a lot of software checking, replaced sata cable, ram, cmos battery, fan on the system, fresh install, etc. it kinda better, but it still crash every now and again, it really put me off using it now, as I don’t want my Amiga time to just be troubleshooting.

I have perfect stable working AmigaOne X1000, with no random crashes.

In past I have two lockups:
- I am not found 4 pcs of RAM to working stable - so I have only two
- In past I also changed the battery and PSU for more powerfull ( I am using two gfx cards, one of them is HD7970 )

I am satisfied with it and I wouldn't trade it for the X5000

Quote:
kas1e wrote:
Yes, I can confirm that the X1000 appears to be a beta version of the X5000. The X5000 does not have all of the issues that the X1000 does; it truly feels like the next step. At least for the time being, here's what I discovered when comparing the X1000 to the X5000:

at lest two things is missing in your comparison:
- X1000 have better PCIe lines connection. X5000 shares 4 lines for PCIe x4, 3x PCIe x1, 2x PCI
- X1000 slots better suits for two graphics card connection

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The listed shortcomings of the X1000 have NOT limited my enjoyment of the machine since 2012. Even jumping to RX gfx card and losing CFE menu has not proven to be that bad....

A CFE update is still needed though! @AEON @Amigakit

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ddni
Quote:

Even jumping to RX gfx card and losing CFE menu has not proven to be that bad....

Basically you one time setup CFE as you need and not bother about anymore for years. So yeah, that not big deal, but still a little annoy.

@sailor
Quote:

at lest two things is missing in your comparison:
- X1000 have better PCIe lines connection. X5000 shares 4 lines for PCIe x4, 3x PCIe x1, 2x PCI
- X1000 slots better suits for two graphics card connection

Dunno about PCIe line connections, but what real life use you have with where it gives you better results in compare with x5000 ? I mean something showing why it better to have PCIe line connections like on x1000.

As for X1000 better suits for two card connection, probabaly it not very offten to have 2 cards in, but, i have another shortcoming found for x1000:

While with x1000 you do have needs for additinal network card (so minus 1 slot), you also have adapter for rs232 then minus one hole too. With x5000 you have them free, if you need it. But then again, that not really issue, because probably no one fill the whole slots ever be it x1000 or x5000.

I of course didn't say that x1000 much worse than x5000, but if i need to do a choose like a new user, then it should be x5000 , that for sure. At least for now with current situation.

Quote:

In past I have two lockups:

Are you saying that you never-ever have this "[HELO][DRAM]" stop booting after reset of x1000 ? I just have this issue, and Raziel too, and it sounds like everyone have it ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1eQuote:
kas1e wrote:
Are you saying that you never-ever have this "[HELO][DRAM]" stop booting after reset of x1000 ? I just have this issue, and Raziel too, and it sounds like everyone have it ?

Never. I am lucky girl
But yes, there is exception - when I tested different memory sticks configs, there were similar things.

AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e
And to have two graphics cards is very appropriate when you use linux.

AmigaOS have best drivers for Polaris and Southern Island cards, linux PPC ends with HW support on Northern Island cards.
So HD7970 + HD6670 is perfect combo.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »