Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
What's the latest PUBLIC newlib.library version?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

What's the latest publicly released newlib.library?

I need to know because I don't want to write software that depends on as yet unreleased features.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Re: What's the latest PUBLIC newlib.library version?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

It's version 53.30 AFAIK.

If you use a newlib function that requires a newer version than this you should get a warning at the link stage.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@salass00

Indeed

13.Workbench:> version newlib.library full
newlib.library 53.30 (12/02/2014)

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

Wow! That's really old. It also means that features I wanted to use aren't available.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

Quote:
Wow! That's really old. It also means that features I wanted to use aren't available.

To add insult to injury, let's also mention this particular newlib gotcha that kas1e has recently discovered. It appears that our newlib is in need of some love.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Well what's holding up the release of newer versions? It seems as if devs and beta testers don't just have access to new stuff that's still in development, but also have access to stuff that was finished years and years ago but hasn't found it's way into a release.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NinjaCyborg
Quote:

Well what's holding up the release of newer versions?

A bit of necromancy, but to answer: nothing, but company/management/motivation factors. Now there some moves in management terms, so things for some time will be better. How long and how better no one knows. But I am sure you can't hope for something like a new version out, and on next days hit users.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
With 4.1 FE update 2 + hotfix the latest public newlib.library should now be version 53.62.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

What nice features & opportunities will this give us including Hans?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Can someone explain how the newlib works. I know that it is an implementation of the C library. I know the difference of linker libs (static/SO) and shared library (.library).

The new version that was just released provides a shared library, but there is no updated to the libc linker library.

A lot of ports, surely, would use the linker library. There will be no code that explicitly opens "newlib.library". If the libc is just forwarding calls to newlib.library, why is the libc in newlib so large? I would have expected a new libc.a too.

Regs,

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
A newer version of the static library will be available in the next SDK when this is released. Then you will be able to use the latest methods of newlib in your apps or ports.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero

Okay, this makes sense. Thanks.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Once updated newlib via amiupdate I'm no more able to compile projects due "-lamiga" switch no more recognized by "ld" command.
Native builds of course, ..maybe I'm the last one to not using cross compiling?

Memento audere semper!
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@flash

I also had some problem as a .h file tried to include utility but that’s a directory, so I got error, I comment it out and stuff compiled again.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Re: What
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
...but there is no updated to the libc linker library.

Isn't there? The libc.a in the SDK is 553,018 bytes and is dated 01-Jan-21, while the one in the latest newlib update is 684,962 bytes and is dated 10-Mar-22. Besides the later date, being significantly larger is consistent with having more functions.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
If the libc is just forwarding calls to newlib.library, why is the libc in newlib so large?

I think that's a result of inefficiency in the object module format. In order to allow only those functions that are used to be linked into a program, every single function in the library has to be in its own object module.

While the actual glue code to turn a newlib call into a newlib.library call is likely not very big, there is a good deal of other overhead in the object module. Multiply that by the rather large number of functions in the library, and all that overhead adds up. (Also, I'm guessing that since libm.a is empty, the math functions are actually in libc.a as well, making it even bigger.)

Look at libauto.a. It's quite large too, and all it does is open and close libraries. But it handles a lot of different libraries, each of which requires its own object module. So again, all the overhead adds up.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@msteed
Quote:

Isn't there? The libc.a in the SDK is 553,018 bytes and is dated 01-Jan-21, while the one in the latest newlib update is 684,962 bytes and is dated 10-Mar-22. Besides the later date, being significantly larger is consistent with having more functions.

I got my update using the AmiSphere... thing. Only the shared library was updated. There was also zero release notes, which would have been nice. Walkero says that we will wait for the next SDK to get a marching updated linker library.

As for your description about the size of the linker library despite forwarding calls... thanks for the explanation.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Not sure what you means.. you refer to .h include file issue, instead "ld" is linker, so it's final stage of compiling chain.

Seems that ld version 2.23.3 doesn't accept more "-lamiga" switch. Omitting it all amigalib functions like ArgArrayInit, ArgArrayDone, ArgInt, ArgString, etc.. are no more recognized.

Before newlib update all worked as usual.

Memento audere semper!
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@flash
The libamiga library (-lamiga) is not necessary for newlib. If you check a new installation of the SDK, the library is a soft link to the clib2 libamiga library. You just need either to recreate that link or copy that library to newlib.

The SDK installer does the following
MakeLink FROM newlib/lib/libamiga.a TO //clib2/lib/libamiga.a SOFT FORCE
MakeLink FROM newlib/lib/baserel/libamiga.a TO ///clib2/lib/baserel/libamiga.a SOFT FORCE
MakeLink FROM newlib/lib/small-data/libamiga.a TO ///clib2/lib/small-data/libamiga.a SOFT FORCE
MakeLink FROM newlib/lib/libdebug.a TO //clib2/lib/libdebug.a SOFT FORCE
MakeLink FROM newlib/lib/baserel/libdebug.a TO ///clib2/lib/baserel/libdebug.a SOFT FORCE
MakeLink FROM newlib/lib/small-data/libdebug.a TO ///clib2/lib/small-data/libdebug.a SOFT FORCE

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
I got my update using the AmiSphere... thing.

Same here, using AmiUpdate.

Quote:
There was also zero release notes, which would have been nice.

There actually are release notes. Try looking in SYS:Documentation/ReleaseNotes, which is where the installer puts them. If you don't have a directory by that name then the release notes are not installed. I think the standard location for release notes is SYS:Documentation/ReleaseInfo, so maybe that's the problem.

Quote:
Only the shared library was updated.

In addition to the new linker libraries (which yes, are there), there are a bunch of updated newlib include files in the update as well (you should see some includes with 2021 dates). I'm wondering if something went wrong with your install (assuming you used the auto-install option), and your SDK didn't get updated properly or at all.

The SDK won't be updated if you don't have an SDK: assign, but I assume you do have that. I'm not sure what else could have gone wrong. This is the relevant portion of the AutoInstall script:

C:Assign >NILSDKEXISTS
IF NOT WARN
   C
:Delete SDK:newlib ALL QUIET
   C
:Copy BUFFER 0 CLONE SDK/#? SDK: ALL QUIET

SDK:C/sh makelinks
ENDIF

(makelinks is a shell script that re-establishes the softlinks that were deleted by Delete ALL.)

I always install everything manually, because I never trust install scripts to do the proper thing across all the different system setups out there. If you've still got the update archive try looking at it with LHA or UnArc and see if some of the things you're missing aren't in there.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »