Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
What happen to UtilityBase ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
It's down since don't remember when, what happen to this portal ??

Utilitybase.com is a very important site for developers so atleast some words that saying why it's off-line and when it will be availible again would be welcome !

Go to top
Re: What happen to UtilityBase ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Good question. The ongoing infection was really annoying, but it was a huge and comprehensive well of knowlegde incl. all those talented and knowing programmers who shared their wisdom with newbie people like me.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yep but having no words about it's a bit annoying, I'm looking for a question about SDK but old threads are not accessible, hope they have a backup atleast

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Utility base appears to be archived here (untested) but the searching facility obviously won't work.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Ok thanks for the link, not the main solution but atleast i can found what i search for now

Did you know who are the maintainers ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I think using ancient forum engines being able to support ancient web browsers like IBrowse is really showing now. Ancient engines are full of ancient vulnerabilities.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Maybe but to be compatible with IBrowse disabling CSS can be enough i think, altrough i can't find one single reason to support such museum browser ...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I disgree totally. I much prefer using IB to that dreadful OWB, CSS capable or not.

In fact I find it disgusting when AMIGA sites now use so much CSS that they look strange in IB

Incidentally OWB fails to log into a couple of the bank sites I use but IB2.5 beta has no problems - even if the resulting layout looks a bit strange, at least IB works whereas OWB doesn't !

Ideally IB should be CSS capable by now but sadly it isn't. It is however functional, and no way obsolete. I often use it purely because sites load a lot quicker (important if BT restricts your access to 512kbps) than OWB or other CSS enabled browsers.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79
Quote:
Maybe but to be compatible with IBrowse disabling CSS can be enough i think, altrough i can't find one single reason to support such museum browser ...

The old browsers can be useful for some things. I've been able to capture/download files that I couldn't get with OWB. For example, I tried to D/L some pictures from a camera review page and all I got with OWB was a "Forbidden" message. IBrowse downloaded the images from the links. I was able to access some otherwise inaccessible files with AWeb because they were in the disk cache. I can also save some Flash files (that I can't save with OWB) by setting up a MIME in AWeb with a "download" setting.

I hope Timberwolf will have an option for disk-caching. Disk caches aren't really that useful anymore, unless you want to access files that can't normally be saved directly from the Internet. Sorry for the OT post but maybe someone will speak up with some UtilityBase info if the topic stays on the recent page for a day or 2.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
IB is of no use here. I have it installed but never use it... really. i dont fint it fun to switch between browsers just because IB cant cope most of non amiga pages. Someday i will change my homepage to CSS. Cant be limitied just because some people still uses IB.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE
Quote:
Ideally IB should be CSS capable by now but sadly it isn't. It is however functional, and no way obsolete. I often use it purely because sites load a lot quicker (important if BT restricts your access to 512kbps) than OWB or other CSS enabled browsers.

Even though I was thrilled by the speed increase when I recently switched from dialup to a fast cable connection, I still get impatient with long pages full of useless jpeg images. Sometimes operating IB with image loading disabled (and sometimes even javascript disabled) can get to the information I want much faster than with newer browsers.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Kicko
Quote:
IB is of no use here. I have it installed but never use it... really. i dont fint it fun to switch between browsers just because IB cant cope most of non amiga pages.

I have both AWeb and IBrowse installed but rarely use them. However, until we get get a modern browser with the configurability (image loading, disk chching, MIME settings, D/L manager etc.) of the old browsers I'm keeping them installed and available.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
BillE @ xenic

Well for downloading files and do all the other things (not possible on Reaction OWB yet) you can switch to NetSurf 2.7 and when needed using it side by side with OWB.

About homebanking and other Javascript issues i think that problem are quite delimited to the WebKit version used in that specific OWB release rathen then real limitation of the browser, for example did you try to switch to version 3.30 or 3.31 and retry your homebanking ?

I know this isn't so good but various OWB release have this kind of "little bug", but mostly it can work only better than IBrowse in all areas.

OWB support all modern web standard, modern Javascript, modern HTML 4 and 5, CSS 3 while IBrowse is limited to an incomplete Javascript 1.5 support, an incomplete HTML 4.01 standard and no CSS at all

Aniway to turn on topic IMHO there is no reason to use IBrowse on UtilityBase,as there are no file to download, Flash to use (also very limited too) and so on and even that there not worth to use it ...

At the end don't forget that MUI OWB is on the way, they just need the update 3

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE
I guess you're the only lucky one in the whole world who has IB 2.5 beta.

@thread
Could anybody force the current owner and top executive behind IBrowse to come to public. No excuses of being busy or anything.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Could anybody force the current owner and top executive behind IBrowse to come to public. No excuses of being busy or anything.

I already tried that and failed
It's becoming more ridiculous than the AInc voucher!

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I find myself using OWB more and more but as long as it won't let me access my office's remote site, I will continue to use IB.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
To turn in topic, anyone know what ppls contact for asking why UtilityBase is down ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
Nicomen are admin of UB. As far as i remember he on the amigaworld irc , on #amigadev channel.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
you may find interesting to use os4coding.net for programming articles and talking.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Ok, maybe tomorrow i'll try to contact him

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »