Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
198 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »
Re: Some OS4.1 bugs
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@MickJT

This bug has been officially filed now.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo

Maybe you also will be in interest to fill bug-report about "date" command. It give memguard hit of this kind when you just run it from shell:

Quote:

MEMGUARD HIT - [9] "date" (63cb0ba0)
rear wall damaged -- 5E1C2550 = AllocVec(24, 00001000)
0: 01a6d254 5d8fad70 deadbeef 020b2bc8 5e1c2550 019510ec 019510ec 00000000
8: 019510d0 7fb9c9c8 6ff514d0 01a6c2fc 39533e99 5e1ca550 00000000 68fe2710
16: 5e208380 7fca23bc 00000002 02280000 02280000 5e1c9880 02280000 00000000
24: 00000001 6ff92000 0000002c 5e208380 00000018 5e1c2550 5e1c1880 5e1c1854
----> 01a6d254 : "newlib.library.kmod" segment 0000 offset 2cb0
----> 020b2bc8 : "kernel" segment 0001 offset 42bc4
----> 019510ec : "dos.library.kmod" segment 0000 offset 231a8
----> 019510ec : "dos.library.kmod" segment 0000 offset 231a8
----> 019510d0 : "dos.library.kmod" segment 0000 offset 2318c
----> 7fb9c9c8 : "work:debug/memguard/MemGuard" segment 0005 offset 89c0
----> 01a6c2fc : "newlib.library.kmod" segment 0000 offset 1d58
----> 7fca23bc : "date" segment 0005 offset 03b4
----> 02280000 : "massstorage.usbfd" segment 0001 offset 077c
----> 5e1c1880 : "date" segment 0004 offset 0028
----> 5e1c1854 : "date" segment 0004 offset fffffffc
LRa 01a6d1b4 : "newlib.library.kmod" segment 0000 offset 2c10
CTRa 7fb9c950 : "work:debug/memguard/MemGuard" segment 0005 offset 8948
LR 01a6d270 : "newlib.library.kmod" segment 0000 offset 2ccc
CTR 7fb9c9c8 : "work:debug/memguard/MemGuard" segment 0005 offset 89c0

Stack backtrace:
----> 01a6d270 : "newlib.library.kmod" segment 0000 offset 2ccc
----> 01a6d2f4 : "newlib.library.kmod" segment 0000 offset 2d50
----> 7fca2104 : "date" segment 0005 offset 00fc
----> 01949464 : "dos.library.kmod" segment 0000 offset 1b520
----> 01863d50 : "kernel" segment 0000 offset 63d4c
----> 01863dd0 : "kernel" segment 0000 offset 63dcc

Disassembly:
01a6d26c: 4e800421 bctrl
01a6d270: 7eadab78 mr r13,r21
01a6d274: 4bfff8a8 b 0x1A6CB1C
01a6d278: 9421ffc0 stwu r1,-64(r1)
01a6d27c: 7c0802a6 mflr r0

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@m3x

I did just check ENVARC:ringhio.appsprefs.xml and it's big (~4MB). I opened it with MEmacs and one entry has a lot of garbage in it. I have to delete/rename it and check if everything works better. Maybe there was a system crash during file operation corrupting that file or something. Email sent.

Btw: Why is Ringhio prefs files not in sys dir like other system prefs files ?

(@thread PS. I've been busy and tired lately to remember/realize to check everything myself. And we have heat wave where I live currently. It's too hot indoors to spend any time for computing. Unfortunately there's no Amiga laptop. I have to check and re-check all mentioned problems when this heat wave is over/next autumn.)

Edit: SOLVED !

Edited by TSK on 2010/7/11 22:55:17
Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@kas1e

I'm sure that one has already been filed, I'll check.

I get the same problem here too.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I don't think these have come up earlier:

1) When a mutli-assign is made during startup (for instance by MUI in the user-startup), and if there are files with the same filename in both directories, then boot will hang on the splash screen. I've had this happen multiple times, and I've had to remove the MUI assigns from user-startup alltogether. This is NOT very userfriendly at all.

2) The discdoctor (or whatever it is called nowadays)! When a program (for instance Quake 3) crashes in the middle of something with files open, then the disc will be unvalidated at reboot and the discdoctor will initiate at boot time. This might _also_ hang up the machine at the splash screen. Even worse, it might not even validate at all unless you reboot without startup-sequence and wait (often for a long time) for the discdoctor to finish. This has been a problem since old classic days, and I think it is time for the discdoctor to a) become verbose and tell the user, what is happening and b) for system boot to wait until the discdoctor finishes before continuing the boot process. Anything less is going to break the user experience.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MickJT
Quote:

Confirmed it here, check amigaworld.net thread. It's hard to reproduce.

Yes, I thought the problem was totally reproducable but when I added a test program to my WBStartup the problem seemed to disappear. When I removed the test program, the problem returned. Somehow the number or type of files in WBStartup seems to affect the bug. Thanks for confirming.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@alfkil

Quote:
alfkil wrote:

2) The discdoctor (or whatever it is called nowadays)!

The disk validator - it's built in into FFS (and only used/useful there).

Quote:
When a program (for instance Quake 3) crashes in the middle of something with files open, then the disc will be unvalidated at reboot and the discdoctor will initiate at boot time. This might _also_ hang up the machine at the splash screen. Even worse, it might not even validate at all unless you reboot without startup-sequence and wait (often for a long time) for the discdoctor to finish.

I believe this happens when something tries to write to the disk while it is validating. For me, that something is often TurboPrefs (TurboPrint) trying to write its prefs to Work: (where my TP installation lives). I've been trying to catch some debug output from this situation for a while.

PS: By the way, you can add WAITFORVALIDATE to your SetPatch command in your Startup-Sequence, that should keep the startup from proceeding until the disk has finished validating.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

Ringhio problem: SOLVED ! Corrupted prefs file.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

Thank Niels, you always seem to know what to d? ;). Still, i Think the user should somehow be alerted to the actions of the disc validator.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@xenic

This WBStartup bug has been fixed in 53.20.

Simon

----
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Not really a bug, rather an inconsistency:

Some of the Prefs editors open their ASL requesters using the default requester position and size (as set in ASL prefs). Others use some custom values. I think all system components should respect the ASL prefs and use values from there.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo
On AW (here), Denial have found some bug (looks like) related to GR itself:
Quote:

I had my suspicions but now I confirmed it:
The Grim Reaper in OS4.1 update 2 is broken and cannot kill any programs without creating an endless recoverable 0100000F error needing a hard reset.

I had this issue with SabreMSN when it occasionally crashed. Now Timberwolf crash and I tried to kill it and got the same thing. And now last time with a freshly booted system I tried the following:

Created this extremely simply program:

main() {
int *x=0, y;
y=x[0];
}

Compiled and executed it and got the Reaper as expected.
Clicked Kill and got endless recoverable 0100000F alerts.

Conclusion: The Grim Reaper is broken!

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@kas1e

His conclusion is wrong. The state of the system after any crash is not guaranteed, and GrimReaper cannot affect that unfortunately. The endless stream of "insanity" errors in his test case is the cause of a corrupted memory list, not GrimReaper.

Killing a process which is in an undetermined state (and may have corrupted system lists) can have all sorts of undesirable effects.

Try calling RemTask() once the GrimReaper appears and you'll probably get the same stream of DSI's.

In short, if a program crashes, "Continue" and "Kill" are in no means guaranteed to work. This is the problem of a simgle address space, and the corruption to other tasks space that it can cause.

Simon

----
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo
Other user say on that: "How is that test program supposed to have corrupted the memory list? It does nothing but a *read* from address *zero*...."

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

I admit I have not programmed on the Amiga, but I understand your reply in general. And I agree that the purpose of GR is different than e.g. memguard, and that by the time it launches it is too late for any guarantees.

However, I don't understand how his specific simplistic program that only reads from 0x0 can cause such non-recoverable conditions, whether the read is allowed to happen or not. How is any program ever killable if this example is not? I guess I am also assuming that if he just ignored the GR window and did none of Kill/Reboot/Continue that the rest of the system and applications would keep running just fine. What am I missing here... is it some of the invisible auto-library stuff?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@kas1e

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't say that the test program actually had corrupted any memory list, but that the reccuring DSI's are "insanity" errors caused by a corrupted memory list.

Perhaps your "other user" should read what is written before sharing their knowledge and wisdom.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I tried the test on my Sam running the public Update 2 installation, and I cannot reproduce the described behaviour there either. I can only conclude that the author has some program or patch running that is causing the problem somehow. I get the GrimReaper appear, and both "Continue" and "Kill" work exactly as expected. So no, there is no problem, here at least.

Simon

Edited by Rigo on 2010/7/12 17:11:18
----
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@swoodall

Well, regardless of whether there is bug in GrimReaper or not, I cannot reproduce the effect described with this program here.

I can even continue and the program exits normally.

So perhaps whatever is causing the described problem has since been addressed directly, or indirectly.

EDIT: See above for further info.

Simon

Edited by Rigo on 2010/7/12 17:58:12
----
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

Thanks a lot for folowing this thread and answering if not reproducable or corrected

BTW, I think some posters should open new threads for better management

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo
Will be better if you just will read that thread on aw.

Maybe it will help to sorted out all the things. Because be a "re-poster" is bad job :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

Rigo wrote:
@swoodall

Well, regardless of whether there is bug in GrimReaper or not, I cannot reproduce the effect described with this program here.

I can even continue and the program exits normally.

So perhaps whatever is causing the described problem has since been addressed directly, or indirectly.

i also tested it.

1. on my normal system grim reaper crashes
2. on a clean system (us4.1upd2 installed - nothing else) grim reaper works fine!
3. on my normal system, bootet with no-startup, loadwb "manually xeceuted" and no wbstartup at all, grim reaper also crashes!

i don't wonder about 1+2. but 3 is strange, imho. maybe i'll investigate further what exactly causes the reaper to crash.

regards...

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »