Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 136

walkero, Elwood, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

PageStream on AOS4
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
The one bit of software I've always wanted to run on my X5000 or A1222 is PageStream -- especially after watching its abilities on Paul Sadlik's SAM at AmiWest shows in the past. But I didn't want to purchase it since I knew it to be rather finicky. To my delight, though, I won a copy this year! Yay!

I downloaded both version 4.1.8.3 and 5.0.3.3, and... they both freeze as soon as I launch them. I've tried all sorts of things, but they just freeze.

Is there a guide somewhere to getting PageStream to actually work on AmigaOS 4.1? Do I need to use the 68K 4.1.5.6 version, and if so, any tricks there? Any and all useful advice is appreciated!

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Re: PageStream on AOS4
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@eliyahu

Following this discussion. I've also tried various versions with OS4 in the past, only to achieve too frequent freezes. I see there is a new release for MorphOS, and that knowledge as rekindled my interest in this application.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@eliyahu

I got Pagestream 3 with plugins working before the last OS4 update,
If I remember it correctly I used NewMode to promote the screen,
trial and error at that time till I got it working.

I used Pagestream 3 professionally in the 90's so it was a blast to use it again!

Try Sys:Prefs/Screens or NewMode
http://aminet.net/util/cdity/NewMode_V39.lha

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thread

So I still can't get the PPC builds to work at all, but the old 68K build (4.1.5.6) seems to work just fine out of the box. I need to figure out, however, how to create new text boxes since when I do nothing appears when I type but if I use the 'Insert Text' feature, that works OK.

I guess I have some documentation to read.

I really would like to have either version 4.x or 5.x work natively, though. If anyone has gotten either to work, please let us know.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
i was in contact with deron some months ago about the possibilities of the latest pagestream to be also updated for amiga os4.
and the answer was positive. he plans to do so. so let's see if this will happen and how long it may take. i guess he is not up to date with the latest hard and software (os and compiler).

maybe other can also try to ask politely?

regards...
michael

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

I never have the great oportunity to use or try Pagestream on OS4,but if I do it I am sure it will definetely rock.

Ultimately I use more AmigaOS 4.1 on my AmigaOne X5000 than Morphos but I prefer to run emulators such MAME than games like Doom 3,that at least on Morphos definetely crashes and trashes out my other work,for example with Iris.That is a must to not.

AmigaOS 4.1 on AmigaOne X5000 it crashes except when it appears the Grim Reaper callings.

Hope you all can happily run Pagestream desktop publishing on your AmigaOS 4.1.

And Amiga rules forever!!!

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@eliyahu

Where did you get those things going' Whre did you get that prize? Maybe I can win one copy for me? Tell me please.

Pagestream rules!!!

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MamePPCA1

I won my copy this year at AmiWest. There was a raffle with quite a few prizes and just got lucky.

http://amiwest.net/raffle2023/

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This thread made me curious, so opened up PgS 5.0.3.3 and am playing around with it. . . quite successfully. I might add! I've NEVER gotten this far in the past. Some OS changes must have improved compatibility between OS 4.1 and PgS. All I've had so far is 2 DSI's and it's still running while I write this.

I really hope Deron is serious about what he replied to Michael Merkel about polishing up a current version for OS4. Pagestream is still one of my favorite programs, regardless of platform. (I own the Windoze version, too.) Between that and the upcominmg airprint, my X5000 could become much more regularly used.

Paul Zager

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
wow I had no idea you can still purchase the latest PageStream! It’s been quite a while the last time I used it on my Amiga but it was always a blast using it

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Paul

I wonder what is different from my systems and yours. On both my X5000 and A1222 PageStream 5.0.3.3 simply freezes immediately after launching. No Grim Reaper, just a freeze.

Maybe there's a beta component that broke it? The old 68K 4.1.5.6 works just fine on both systems....

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@eliyahu,

Yeah, the old 4.1.5.6 68k version is what I have been using for a long time on my Amiga X5000. 5.0.3.3 never did do much on my A1-XE or on my X5000. . . until now.

I have a completely stock public version of 4.1 Final along with the enhancer 2.2 add-ons and the RX video driver. So if you are a beta tester, that might be the issue.

When I open it I get a Guru with unkown error type. I can click "Continue Program" and work for hours with it and not crash.

Issues? . . . won't remember Window locations when closing the program. Color palettes dont' seem to be working right. But basic stuff like page inserting and column linking are working. It finds all my fonts. Can do text wrapping around and inside of objects, drop caps, text line and fill, . . . and seemingly most of what I tried to throw at it. oh, and I can save a file in PgS format and send it over to Pagestream 5.1 on my Windoze machine and it opens up just fine.

I wish I could share this directly with Deron as an encouragement to finish up the Amiga version, but I cant find an email address for him.

Paul

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I wish an update to be released too.
The native PPC version of PageStream 4 never worked properly here and v5 was far too unstable to use.

I’m still using the 68k version very often.

Thank you Deron 🙂

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
One tip for PageStream users... If the 'Pagestream4.prefs' file gets corrupted (that happens usually once-a-year for me), Pagestream will freeze or guru when launched. That may happen even if you have not yourself edited and saved the prefs lately.

The cure is to delete that file, or replace it with a copy from a backup disk.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gregor

The latest Windoze version of PgS also does this with its .ini file from time to time. I have an external (to the program files) copy of the .ini file to replace the junked file with when the original goes bad.

The biggest problem is trying to remember where Windoze hides that file.

Paul

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post