Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

orgin, walkero, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »
Do we have fast, accelerated, bug-free, supporting scaling SNES emulator ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I just tried to find an SNES emulator for os4, and so far tried firstly Huno's SNES emulator : http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... ion/gamesystem/snes9x.zip

But it's very buggy (gui just freezes on iconification, random freezes, etc), and by some reasson 180mb of size (because of .png images probably). But at least i can use pure binary from shell, but have more or less half-playable results with frameskip 3 (!)

Is there any tasty normal small fast SNES emulator which we can use the same good as EUAE, DosBOX and ScummVM ? Where i can setup normal 1920x1080 screen like with mentioned EUAE/DosBox/ScummVM and have it all scaled well and be playable ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: Do we have fast, accelerated, bug-free, supporting scaling SNES emulator ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I'm currently using WarpSnes under AmigaOs4.1, this sweet little Super Nintendo emulator is easy to configure, but also has a few weak points. In the fullscreen 2x output, the screen output is not stretched. Otherwise, this emulator can be played well with the ROMs.

I have already tried SNES9x, but as you have already written, this emulator is very vulnerable and has many errors.

The version on Os4Depot is a little older than the version that you can download directly from HunoPPC. Maybe there were a few improvements here.

http://hunoppc.amiga-projects.net/con ... r-famicom-emulator-snes9x

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

Yeah, will try both

I also tried mednafen : but this one can't cope with the sound on the same rom (too slow sound and a bit distored). Also, it didn't dealt with the Unix paths by default, so or i had to run it from "sh", or, i had manually create empty .unix file , so clib2's code will thread linux paths well. But that no problem, if not those issues with sound..

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I used warpsnes and found it was the best one.

For mednafen, there are instructions that you need to set the period configuration to 100000 to correct the sound issue. Should be in the readme.
===
The configuration file:
===
The default configuration file can be usedbut do the following:
Change "cd.image_memcache" to value "1" (Optionalbut advised)
Change "sound.period_time" to value "100000" (Definitely)
Change "video.glvsync" to value "0" (Optionalbut may help)
Change "video.blit_timesync" to value "0" (Optionalbut may help)

If that helps at all.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Another alternative is FinalBurn Neo, it has a built-in SuperNes emulator based on SNES9x

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro
I tried latest Huno's snes from his page, and while it have new "snesCOMP" binary , meaning to play with compositing, then it still have bugs again (on exit says unfreed signals), and it still too slow. "Chaos engine" just unplayable, only with frameskip like 3 or so.

@rjd324
Thanks, checked , indeed it fix the sound, but whole gameplay (at least in Chaos Engine which i test) a bit bad : every few seconds you have some microstops..

But, what i found also is that base directory of mednafen is "SYS:/.mednafen", not, "PROGDIR:", so i can't run it from the amiga shell. And even creating ".unix" in the mednafen's directory didn't fix it. So the only way to start it, it's from "sh". It need to be changed just to "PROGDIR:" in all the places, so this ".mednafen" directory will be created in the root of the mednafen directory.

But at least i tried shaders options in the snes module and some others : they works. Just don't know how to make game be played without those micro-pauses .. And it just feels slow anyway (especially in the fade in/out effects, in the menu, etc). But that the same and with Huno's emulator too.

@All
Tried also WarpSNES, indeed very fast ! All fine, works fast, as need it , but , one big problem is the screen size: i can't make the size to be big enough not in window mode, not in fullscreen mode. The maximum i had is in window mode "2x size" (which is too small still, needs at least something like 4x size). And, in fullscreen, does not matter what i choose, i always have white borders around. The best size i got, is "Fullscreen 2x" and 640x480 mode, but still, with white borders..

Maybe older version where swith to native amiga video output wasn't done, and SDL were used, it was ok for fullscreen ?

Or maybe some screenpromoting utilities can be used to deal with so to stretch it a bit to not have white borders visibly ?

Alternatively i may try to debug the binary, to find out where screenmodes created, and add some backfill flags, so it will not have white borders (if that the case..)

Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/12 3:18:03
Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/12 3:20:45
Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/12 3:29:23
Edited by kas1e on 2023/11/12 3:35:46
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1eQuote:
kas1e wrote:@Maijestro
I tried latest Huno's snes from his page, and while it have new "snesCOMP" binary , meaning to play with compositing, then it still have bugs again (on exit says unfreed signals), and it still too slow. "Chaos engine" just unplayable, only with frameskip like 3 or so.

I don't want to criticize HunoPPC's work, but I think 170 MB for a "simple" Super Nintendo emulator is a bit bloated. Maybe there was no other way, I have no idea about these things.

Quote:

@All
Maybe older version where swith to native amiga video output wasn't done, and SDL were used, it was ok for fullscreen ?

Or maybe some screenpromoting utilities can be used to deal with so to stretch it a bit to not have white borders visibly ?

Alternatively i may try to debug the binary, to find out where screenmodes created, and add some backfill flags, so it will not have white borders (if that the case..)

In my opinion, you get the best result with WarpSnes. WarpSnes has a nice GUI, is easy to configure and the ROMs run at a very good speed. I also really like the preview of the Romes.

This work was created in 2006 and is very old, perhaps it just couldn't be done better back then. I would also be very happy if we could fix the full screen mode so that you can no longer see the edges and maybe keep them black, that should be possible, or some kind of stretch function.

Since we don't have a source for the whole thing, I think it will be difficult to fix anything.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:

Since we don't have a source for the whole thing, I think it will be difficult to fix anything.

Binary patching is definitely can be done, especially in terms of this "white borders" thing, which is a matter of setting one flag in the OpenScreenTags()'s structure : just need to debug a bit to find out offset to call this function, and fix in binary 0 on 1 in some place or something

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

I've tried many times to contact the author about the white borders problem in WaspSnes, but he doesn't seem to be reachable anymore... a hack to fix the issue would be more than welcome... maybe even improve the AmigaInput support, which I seem to remember had some problems too

About performance, obviously the Huno's Snes9x is based on version 1.51, therefore a more recent version than Warpsnes that was based on 1.42, which however runs much faster, a Sam440 is sufficient to play with it

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

170mb is due to the inclusion of Romsets and game images

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

AmigaInput is buggy by design, if unplug a gamepad, it wont notify the game about it, instead it will free gamepad, from the OS, and game will crash.

Instead you need to busy loop to check if the gamepad is connected, and hope you notice before trying to read from the gamepad.

All games and emulators that use AmigaInput has at least a 20% chance of crashing, from my experience.

Things you can do, is use powered hub, incase of drop out due to power issues, try to replace the USB cables, if that does not help, you might be out of luck.

You can also try disabled sblive and other drivers in AmigaInput, some of this seams to be buggy, or cause problems.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2023/11/14 11:10:39
Edited by LiveForIt on 2023/11/14 11:11:58
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

I don't remember the exact problem but I seem to remember that after an AmigaOS update the pad stopped to being recognized by Warpsnes...
About AmigaInput, yeah it's a bit of a shameful situation, it's been in this state for 10/15 years without any updates whatsoever... maybe a small bounty could be made to incentivize a developer to fix it?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hyperion has had a new beta version for a year. This version is quite stable and has some new features, e.g. it works with some classic Amiga joystick adapters that do not work on public AmigaInput. I even appealed on the beta list to release AmigaInput via Amiupdate along with the release of Heretic II, because it's very nice to play Heretic and be able to use the crosshair and the left and right sticks independently. I remember that the developer working on the corrections in AmigaInput gave permission for this. Well, let's see what Hyperion will do.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

You might want to check out LakeSnes - very cool little emulator and simple.
I use it sometimes on pc/86 or mac/arm. It scales the image nicely.
It's a bit resource intensive - on a qemu it's not usable. Maybe on some X5000 it will work fine

https://streamable.com/oasuaq

Here's a link to the fork

https://github.com/dinkc64/LakeSnes

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79

>I've tried many times to contact the author about the white >borders problem in WaspSnes, but he doesn't seem to be reachable
>anymore... a hack to fix the issue would be more than welcome...

I could provide the source code of WarpSNES. I am the original author of WarpSNES, and once Per finished his changed, he sent the source-code back to me.

With the whole project overload right now (Project for main job, then Sin for OS 4 and 68k, H2 for 68k) I do not really have the time to look after WarpSNES, but if someone wants to fix issues with it, I would be willing to send him the source code I got.

And I am pretty sure it could be adapted to more recent snes9x source code (I did that several times, when I was still actively working on WarpSNES, using diff).

Or I could look after this once I am finished with the games...

Best regards,
Steffen

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TheMagicSN

Ah I really had no idea that you were involved..
Of course we are certainly interested...
Btw by any chance do you also have the latest sources of all the other related emulators with you?

Nowadays only Warpsnes more or less works under latest AmigaOS4, but all the others from you/him (AmiNes, GenesisPlus, TgEmu and SMSPlus) are broken or just crashed on AOS4.1 :-/
Getting them to work probably shouldn't be a lot of work ...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Steffen
Send you a mail, check this out plz :)

Quote:

And I am pretty sure it could be adapted to more recent snes9x source code (I did that several times, when I was still actively working on WarpSNES, using diff).

Maybe the latest source code of snes9x is the reasson why it starts to be that slow (i am about this code inside Mednafen and Huno's emulators).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Samo79

Involved ? I am the original author )) Per mainly fixed a few Bugs as I said (though one bug were I was looking ages for it and had not find a solution, and he found it in a matter of days only).

I mainly have the source of WarpSNES were I was the original author (that's why I got the source code - and Per of course sent me his changes back once he was finished with fixing). I probably also still have WarpMAME somewhere, maybe even a OS4 version (not sure), but updating that to more recent is a HUUUUUGE issue. They changed to a new build system which seems to not work on cross compilers but also requires commands not available on native AmigaOS.

I remember I have a half-finished port of tgemu (Per's port was based on mine which again was based on the MOS version of tgemu). I only got my own code of tgemu though which was lacking sound, I could provide it but somebody would need to add back in the sound (unless Per can be reached).

Don't think I had to do anything with the other Emulator ports. But I might still have some source code for some other emulator ports on my backup drive, likely all still WarpOS source code.

I am not sure if I can reach the tgemu code still, gmail blocks me downloading the file I sent myselves because it is "an evil zip". I probably still have it on my backup drive, just not 100% sure.

Best regards,
Steffen

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Yeah, latest Snes9x code is way slower compared to old 1.4x branch used for our Warpsnes
This are the changes introduced in 1.5:
https://www.snes9x.com/news.asp

A new 1.6.x exists too, but probably will be even slower

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TheMagicSN

Quote:
Involved ? I am the original author )) Per mainly fixed a few Bugs as I said (though one bug were I was looking ages for it and had not find a solution, and he found it in a matter of days only).

Yes, you're right, the term "involved" was maybe a bit sweetened )

Quote:
I remember I have a half-finished port of tgemu (Per's port was based on mine which again was based on the MOS version of tgemu). I only got my own code of tgemu though which was lacking sound, I could provide it but somebody would need to add back in the sound (unless Per can be reached).

I looked for him practically everywhere but I couldn't find him even on Facebook... if you have the sources maybe you could upload them on os4depot?

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »