Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

Skateman, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
Guide for New A1222 Users
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
With the official announcement today from A-EON that the A1222+ production run is now underway, potential owners might be interested in how well it works, what performance is like, what quirks to know, and so forth. I've put together a QuickStart Guide to answer all of those questions as well as provide a full reference point on compatibility issues. If you're interested in the A1222, please check out my new guide!

http://eliyahu.org/tabor/

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Re: Guide for New A1222 Users
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@eliyahu

Very cool guide, very informative.

Thank you.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Eliyahu! Thumbs up for the guide! I'm sure many will find it useful. Well done!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmigaOldskooler

Thanks, guys! If people are looking for what the A1222 feels like in real usage, I did a demo back at AmiWest 2021 that gives a walk-through of games and video and all the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XunrHERNWV0

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@eliyahu
I don't know what the problem with diskcache.library is on the A1222 and never got any bug report about it, probably it's using some FPU code with may not work, but in any case it should be easy to fix.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg

That's terrific to hear, Joerg. The reason I didn't file a report was, at the time, the understanding was SFS was not going to receive any updates going forward. If you're interested in doing bug fixes, I'd love to help you debug this.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@eliyahu
There wont be feature updates for SFS like using the new AmigaOS 4.1 file system API, which would require reimplementing very large parts of the file system, or support for hard links (impossible without making it incompatible to older versions) any more, but of course I'll still do bug fixes.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@eliyahu
Quote:
"None of the WarpOS emulation layers work currently on the A1222, such as powerpc.library or ReWarp"
Adding A1222 support in my ancient powerpc.library should be no problem either, but it would require docs for the CPU used in the A1222.
Are the CPU docs available somewhere, without having to sign a NDA?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Yes, just register on the NXP site and you'll get access to all docs

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@eliyahu
Is Odyssey works issues free now ? I mean same fast start, no issues with opening pages/images/etc as on all other platforms ?

I remember we chat somedays ago that Odyssey didn't fits in some 64mb region or so, so can't be use by LTE emulator, and so, slow ? It's still the same ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
Is Odyssey works issues free now ? I mean same fast start, no issues with opening pages/images/etc as on all other platforms ?

I remember we chat somedays ago that Odyssey didn't fits in some 64mb region or so, so can't be use by LTE emulator, and so, slow ? It's still the same ?

Works very well for me. In fact there doesn't seem to be any problem with running it with LTE emulation. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for sites with heavy JavaScript, but then again, that's the case for the SAMs, too.

With the various OS updates over the years, it is as stable as on my Pegasos 2, for example. Your work is hugely appreciated!

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@eliyahu
Quote:

Works very well for me. In fact there doesn't seem to be any problem with running it with LTE emulation

And this issue with "binary not fits in bounds by size so can't be LTEed" also gone ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

That I cannot confirm one way or another. I only know that Odyssey is not in my LTE blacklist, so if it's not running with LTE, there's not really anyway I would know. It works fine either way.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@eliyahu

Thanks for the guide.

---
redfox

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thanks for the interesting guide.

I noticed you mentioned an SDBackup tool comes with the A1222. Is this an Aeon app? Exclusive to the A1222? I don't have such a tool on my X5000 and as I'm currently getting my head around a uboot upgrade, its quite interesting to me.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@daveyw

Thank you for your kind words. The SDBackup utility is actually provided by the AOS4 team, specifically Tony Wyatt. I'm not sure when I picked it up -- if it's not in the current AOS4 release, then it should be in the next. It's been very convenient.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thread

Per a reader's request I've added a new Tips and Tricks section to my A1222 Guide. I hope folks find it useful. The Guide now includes the following sections:

1. Introduction
2. System Build
3. Disk Options
4. Recommended Software
5. Comprehensive Applications Compatibility List
6. Comprehensive Games Compatibility List
7. Tips and Tricks
8. Benchmarks and Performance
9. Online Resources

Enjoy, and thanks for the feedback!

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@eliyahu
My god, your guide is so good that A-Eon should print it and give it along with every A1222 motherboard to the buyers. Well done man.

LiteXL is missing from your software list. When I was developing it I always tested it to work on A1222. Did you have issues with it?

Oh wait, it is in your software list but not in recommendations. That's fine, don't worry.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@eliyahu
I am reading at your tips and tricks and the section that is about AmiSSL

Quote:
The bad news is that anytime the AmiSSL developers create a new library, you'll have to remember to add it to your blacklist.

I think I read somewhere that is possible to use asterisk as a wild card. I haven't tried it yet, but that would help a lot on this, right?

Also, you might want to provide a blacklist file for the users who don't like to make things themselves.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@walkero

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that is possible to use asterisk as a wild card. I haven't tried it yet, but that would help a lot on this, right?

Also, you might want to provide a blacklist file for the users who don't like to make things themselves.

I'll give that wildcard thing a try later today. In the interim you'll find a ready-made blacklist linked on the applications compatibility page. It is also linked on the Tips and Tricks section, too. The latest version can always be found here:

http://eliyahu.org/tabor/data/load-time-blacklist

-- eliyahu

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »