Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

WB boot hangups - a solution
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My X5000 has shown random WB hangups while booting, resulting in half-loaded, grey WB screen with just a couple of icons. The culprit was obviously X-Dock, if loaded via WBstartup.

The solution was to disable X-Dock in WBstartup prefs, and run it directly from startup-sequence, after WB has been loaded. The end of my startup-sequence looks now this:

Wait 1 sec
Run >NIL: *>NIL: Sys:Utilities/X-Dock/X-Dock
EndCLI >NIL:

The 1 sec delay is there to secure that WB is surely loaded to the very end, so that loading of X-Dock cannot anymore disturb the process. This works in X5040, but a slightly longer delay might be needed for slower machines.

Go to top
Re: WB boot hangups - a solution
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Gregor

In the WBStartup, in the Tooltypes Icon "X-Dock" have you tried to set the Priority value -126 ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I used to have a slightly different WB boot problem. More often than not, my X5000 would boot into an empty grey screen with an empty screenbar.

I removed X-Dock from WBstartup but the problem persisted. In the end it turned out that, over time, I had installed a few AHI drivers for cards I don't use, and one of these seems to have been causing the hang-up. Since I removed all unnecessary drivers from DEVS:AHI and DEVS:AudioModes, I've never had such a problem.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AMIGASYSTEM
Quote:
In the WBStartup, in the Tooltypes Icon "X-Dock" have you tried to set the Priority value -126 ?

No, that possibility did not occur to my mind as I very rarely play with the priorities... Thanks for the tip!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie
Quote:
I used to have a slightly different WB boot problem. More often than not, my X5000 would boot into an empty grey screen with an empty screenbar.

I removed X-Dock from WBstartup but the problem persisted. In the end it turned out that, over time, I had installed a few AHI drivers for cards I don't use, and one of these seems to have been causing the hang-up. Since I removed all unnecessary drivers from DEVS:AHI and DEVS:AudioModes, I've never had such a problem.

Yes, I remember having some years ago problems with unnecessary AudioModes, too! Since then I have kept installed only those which I really need.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Gregor

Even if you run from WBStartup just an "empty" X-Dock (no tools, dockapps, whatever...)?

It could be one tool/dockapp/.. that tries to use some unloaded resource and it hangs your system.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm afraid I made a conclusion too hastily... The boot hangup problem reappeared after few days! So, either there are several sources for that issue in my machine, or just something totally independent of X-Dock.

Now I'm testing with a delay at the beginning of Network-startup... So far zero hangups, but I have now to follow the situation during a longer period.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I am sorry, but it's just the way it is.

https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?t=4542.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have come to live with it like even @walkero.

I still suspect some race condition or something with the USB stack. But that's just my guess.

A problem which for me happens about 1 in 10 times.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Have this hangups before but goes away when change to internal ethernet onboard card on my X5000..
I take out my pci ethernet card from.pci slot too... So only use internal ethnet..

AaaamiiigaOne X5000
(AmigaOS 4.1 FE)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@PlexusQuote:
Have this hangups before but goes away when change to internal ethernet onboard card on my X5000..
I take out my pci ethernet card from.pci slot too... So only use internal ethnet.

I tested that some times earlier, too, but it did not solve the problem in my machine. And I anyway need a nic as Linux has initiation problems with the X5000 onboard ethernet - no one has been able to fix that issue though it has been present several years!

But delaying the execution of 'AddNetInterface' command with 3 secs in Network-Startup has so far worked for me. No hangups during a week...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gregor

Ohh,,, just you wait.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
I still suspect some race condition or something with the USB stack. But that's just my guess.

Something is always wrong with the USB stack. I have to keep my keyboard on an extension so I can easily pull the plug out and in again. Since Update 2 my keyboard is dead on boot 99% of the time.

Go to top

Register To Post