Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

kas1e, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Barcode Generator Written in Postscript Level 2
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have found a barcode generator, written in Postscript Level 2, that is intended to be added to the prologue.ps file that your software uses to generate postscript files. Since it is written in postscript, it should work with any platform, including Amiga. As the software?s website shows, there are already some front ends for it on some platforms. Creating such a front end for the Amiga OS (3.x, 4.x) might be a useful endeavor.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Re: Barcode Generator Written in Postscript Level 2
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

Too right!

The bar code readers are the problem. If we could find a good one that was cheap and robust and supported that with drivers. Amiga would be putting in some of the infrastructure for the future.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@GregS

Quote:

GregS wrote:
@Billsey

Too right!

The bar code readers are the problem. If we could find a good one that was cheap and robust and supported that with drivers. Amiga would be putting in some of the infrastructure for the future.

I have one and that is not a problem. It has a simple ps/2 keyboard output that generates keyboard sequences. So it is working on anything with a PS/2 port.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@lazi

what was the cost?

A cheap Bar code reader, printer support would be very useful for many things, not the least keeping track of printed documents.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@GregS

Quote:

GregS wrote:
@lazi

what was the cost?

Approx.: 75 USD

Resized Image

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Billsey

some (if not all) barcode are only a matter of a font,
all you print with a specified font became a barcode.

Regards,
Paolo

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@pvanni

barcodewriter does not require a font, but actually draws the code itself, and, since it is written in pure postscript level 2, you can download it to your postscript printer and have its functionality added to your postscript printer's capabilites until the next reset of the printer. I'm not sure how that works in particular, but I know that it should work, and that the claim is made by the author.

You should visit the website and see what this thing can do.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@lazi

I bought one of those on ebay from a bloke in hong kong ?5 + ?14 delivery, sometimes he puts them up as ?14 and ?5 delivery...

It took 3 or 4 days for delivery and works fine on my ?A1. No software is required, it's a 'wedge' device which means it pretends to be a keyboard.

All configuration (if needed) can be done by scanning bar codes in the manual.

just to prove it works:

etc..

Now all we need is some software like dvdpedia / bookpedia / delicious library on the mac, with those you just scan the barcode and they trundle off to amazon etc. to find all the product details, excellent for cataloging your media collection...

Edit: typos

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Billsey

Many years ago I looked at barcoding assets for work (handed it over to another chap about 10 years ago). from memory there are a myriad of protocols of barcoding. I can't remember the science behind them but it was an important issue at the time. It would be nice for AOS4 to have a capability in this area though.

ace

Go to top

Register To Post