Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SMBMounter Update
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I recently released an update to SMBMounter, however it had a bug in it that prevented the saving of the mounts and the snapshotting of the window. A bugfix release (1.3) is now available on my webside, and is in the upload queue on Aminet and OS4Depot.

http://www.robthenerd.com/projects/smbmounter/download

Again, sorry to everyone who downloaded SMBMounter over the past few days!

Go to top
Re: SMBMounter Update
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am very happy about updating SMBmounter. Since I bought my NAS Server last year I use the version 1.1. I have registered a few bugs in this version when the server is in sleeping mode. With the updated version 1.3 these bugs are fixed. You have really done a great job. Thanks. I will donate for this really good piece of software.

Edited by Younghippie on 2015/2/28 8:57:15
SAM 460 @ 1150 Mhz , 2GB RAM, 1TB HD +250 GB HD, 4x SATA Controller,Club 3D R7 250 + Warp3D Driver,PCIe 7.1 Soundcard,Fractal Design Define R3 artic white,AmigaOS 4.1FE, Ultra Accounts ,Mace, Dir me up, Gimp ,YAM. Turboprint 7.6
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Fully agree. SMBMounter mounts my NAS on all my Amigas on startup. It's just one of those tools you start using and almost forget about because it just does its job, all day, every day.

Thanks for reminding me to hit that yellow button .

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

I was disappointed with the usage of a NAS (with FTPMount, that i love for uploading files) because of the loss of the original datestamp (& probably also the protection bits)

How is this with SAMBA ?

anybody happen to have downloaded this file? (URL LINK does not work)

http://www15.brinkster. com/liloboot/linux/using_samba_tar.gz.

Edited by JosDuchIt on 2015/3/1 10:01:22
Edited by JosDuchIt on 2015/3/1 10:05:00
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Younghippie, @nbache

Aww, thanks very much guys! :)

@JosDuchIt

FTP datestamp handling depends on the server, but the standard does not include any method for setting the datestamp so normally datestamps are set to the date modified, similar to a standard copy command in DOS or Workbench. Protection bits are supported, however only Unix-style protection bits are supported so Amiga protection bits get lost since they don't translate 1:1 with the Unix versions. One solution is to archive any files being transferred, that will preserve all timestamps and protection bits. Another is to use custom FTP handlers but this reduces compatibility.

SAMBA on the NAS should support timestamps and protection bits, but it depends on the host OS and filesystem. FAT32 for example only supports timestamps with an even number of seconds, so it will round timestamps by 1 second for lots of your files. NTFS or ext filesystems don't have this problem and timestamps are preserved just as they are locally (Copy command gives a new timestamp, Copy Clone command keeps the old timestamp). Protection bits are probably lost because the host OS is most likely Linux, and the filesystem won't support them either...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Quote:
I was disappointed with the usage of a NAS (with FTPMount, that i love for uploading files) because of the loss of the original datestamp (& probably also the protection bits)

How is this with SAMBA ?
That's exactly why I use SMB and not FTP. SMB actually mounts the remote drive as a share, just like under Windows, and just like an NFS (e.g. AmigaNFS on AmigaOS). So dates and - to the extent of compatibility - protection bits are preserved.

BTW, SAMBA is the server software which can make a share available on a Linux or AmigaOS machine, looking to the world like it would if made on a Windows machine.

SMB is the protocol used (by Samba and Windows) to create such a share and make it available to connect to, and SMBFS iis the filesystem/handler on AmigaOS (and Linux too) which can be used to mount and gain access to such a share, i.e. the client side.

And SMBMounter is a tool which makes it easy to define and maintain such mounting, once you have installed SMBFS.

Just in case anybody was confused about what is what

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I installed this and samba for my three networked Amigas, works like a charm. :) Big thanks

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Installed and woks great. Only one remark; it overwrote all my previous settings, then I had to reconfigure it completely.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thanks guys :)

@ilbarbax
The preferences are stored in the SMBMounter drawer so if you copy everything in it will overwrite the previous settings. Sorry about that! It is mentioned in the guide under "Upgrading" by the way, but I'll make an installer script for the next version that checks for existing preference files and keeps them safe.

Thanks for the feedback!

Go to top

Register To Post