Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
new RunInUAE beta - with CD32 emulation
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'm releasing a beta of the next version of RunInUAE. The most notable changes are:

* Added CD32 emulation! Use "Boot CD32" from the "Control E-UAE" menu.
* E-UAE's Workbench now uses a High-Res screen mode when a 640x480 screen is used. Much nicer, especially for 68k programs!

* Stopped an occasional RunInUAE start-up crash, which could happen when patching Workbench.
* Removed the "640x480 (for programs)" menu option, as it was unnecessary.
* Strips the path from WHDLoad & IconX default tooltypes, so now more likely to work inside E-UAE.

* Removed need for the C:RunInUAE_dummy executable. It will be deleted by the installer if it exists.
* Rewrote the menu code, which makes it far easier to modify, and also looks a bit better.

You can download it from here:
http://cshandley.co.uk/RunInUAE/RunInUAE_r4_beta101002.lha
EDIT: Updated on 02-Oct-2010 to fix a stupid installer bug.

P.S. I don't know why I didn't add CD32 support before, since I like CD32 emulation so much! Although the CD32 emulation possible with E-UAE isn't actually that good, it's a lot better than nothing.

Edited by ChrisH on 2010/10/2 13:05:52
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: new RunInUAE beta - with CD32 emulation
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

glad to see you back working on RuninUAE!
one request I've also made in the past (if possible):
Could you add a menu entry to assign a joystick to the mouse port? Some games seem to get input from there and they change options like crazy. On a real amiga you need to plug a joy to port0 to get the job done. What do you think?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Vulture
I've so-far avoided adding that option, because I felt the menus were getting too large already, and I didn't want to add an option that would only be useful for a tiny minority of games...

If AmigaOS menus weren't limited in depth, then I could just have added an "advanced" sub-menu for less useful stuff.

As it is, you can do it manually by first dropping the game onto RunInUAE's window, and answering yes to creating/editing the per-game config file. Then add this line to the config file:
joyport0=kbd2

I've now added this to the manual.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Menu too large?! IMO prefs options should be in a real prefs
GUI rather than in a menu. Only the control, about,
preferences (which opens a GUI window), quit and such
things should be in a menu.

But as I have no Amiga at this time I'm not completely sure
how this program is set up. Maybe you could link a
screenshot of it in action? So I get the whole picture..

Best Regards,

Harry

[SOLD] ?A1-C, 512MB, Antec Aria
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samwel Quote:
prefs options should be in a real prefs GUI rather than in a menu

I would agree with you, and now that I can do MUI stuff I could in theory add it... The problem is that RunInUAE is able to easily CHANGE the settings of E-UAE, but it is a lot harder to reliably READ the current settings of E-UAE. (And menus allow me to offer changing stuff, without having to show what the current state is.)

But thinking about it again, it may still be possible to do it - and it would certainly be rather nice if I could. So I will look at the problem again, and see what I can do

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Thanks for the update, I will soon test it with some games I have which I used in OS3.9 with AsimCDFS emulation option.

I will be glad if it will work. Never checked earlier but does it work with CDTV CD? or need an implementation ?

Nic

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@unimon
CD32 supports many CDTV games, so you may be lucky!

Oh, and please read the manual about the CD32 emulation, because there are a LOT of limitations. One I forgot to mention is that there is no CD music support, so (for example) Liberation CD32 plays without background music (so use the A1200 version if you want music).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Thanks, this tools is now nearly complete, an excellent job !

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH
Can't wait to try it out, hardly have any time these days (and considering week-ends are still passed at a nearby sea-side town instead of home I truly had little Amiga quality time as of late),
Still think it should come as a commodity in the next OS release...

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

thx for the tip Chris!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
So anyone actually tried out the CD32 emu yet? I know it has quite a few limitations, but is it still useful? And did anyone have any installation problems?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Haven't tried the emu yet but i can give a little feedback on the installation.

The new CD32 roms are named kick3.1-CD32.rom.rom and kick3.1-ext-CD32.rom.rom (one .rom too much)

Other than that everything runs awesome
Don't have to fiddle with ini files to get my games running, great work

Two things i wanted to ask, though

1) Is there a way to get a real fullscreen display? I assume i need a 320x240 screenmode which is unfortunately not supportef by my LCD (i think)

2) I have two games from the same developer that has an ugly flickering on all the sprites, makes it really hurting the eye (Les Manley and Altered Destiny). Could you adapt the .uaecfg file to make them go away? (just curious)

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel Quote:
The new CD32 roms are named kick3.1-CD32.rom.rom and kick3.1-ext-CD32.rom.rom (one .rom too much)

Damn :( don't know how that slipped through. I have now updated it with a fixed version (download link still in the first post).

Quote:
1) Is there a way to get a real fullscreen display? I assume i need a 320x240 screenmode which is unfortunately not supportef by my LCD (i think)

Yes, just set the default screen size to 640x480 using the menu "Settings > Set default screen size to > 640x480".

How were you able to use RunInUAE without doing this?

Quote:
2) I have two games from the same developer that has an ugly flickering on all the sprites, makes it really hurting the eye (Les Manley and Altered Destiny). Could you adapt the .uaecfg file to make them go away? (just curious)

That is *probably* due to you using a Frame Skip of 1 (or 3), which is the default when using 640x480. Try setting Frame Skip to 0 (or 2) for those games, and if it fixes the problem then saving the frame skip.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, just set the default screen size to 640x480 using the menu "Settings > Set default screen size to > 640x480".

How were you able to use RunInUAE without doing this?

I didn't change anything, i just happen to find the pulldown menu and tried to reduce the screen size of RunInUAE to 320x240 which gives me an error message in the UAE game screen about missing PAL/DBLPAL etc monitor

What i meant was how can i get rid of the massive grey borders around the game screen?

Edit: Nevermind, i just found it by accident

Quote:

Quote:

That is *probably* due to you using a Frame Skip of 1 (or 3), which is the default when using 640x480. Try setting Frame Skip to 0 (or 2) for those games, and if it fixes the problem then saving the frame skip.

But they are WHDLoad games and use the default uaecfg file.
If i change that by Notepad i get an error message about the UAE config BAK file is missing and i have to reinstall the whole package

A BIG REALLY BIG feature request!!!1!

There is NO way one can determine which option is chosen in the pull down menu, could you PLEASE add a checkmark to it?

edit2: I have a game that writes data and autosave to the disk where the game is started from. This partition is obviously write protected. Any way around it?

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel Quote:
What i meant was how can i get rid of the massive grey borders around the game screen?

That sounds like an OS4/monitor issue, rather than something RunInUAE specific...

EDIT: This could MAYBE be caused by choosing 320x240 (or 320x256) screen mode for RunInUAE, when you chose not to install those screenmodes when you installed RunInUAE. Is this the case?

Quote:
i just happen to find the pulldown menu and tried to reduce the screen size of RunInUAE to 320x240 which gives me an error message in the UAE game screen about missing PAL/DBLPAL etc monitor

That sounds like a possible installer bug :( . Will look into it.

EDIT: I am unable to reproduce this problem. Are you using your own Workbench 3.1 installation or one created by RunInUAE? And which version of Amiga Forever CD did you use?

Quote:
But they are WHDLoad games and use the default uaecfg file.

That doesn't make any difference - you can still change the Frame Skip using RunInUAE's "Control E-UAE" menu.

Although I just noticed a bug - dropping the game on RunInUAE's window *should* open config file for the WHDLoad game, but it doesn't.

Quote:
If i change that by Notepad i get an error message about the UAE config BAK file is missing and i have to reinstall the whole package

I need more info to reproduce this, since it is not clear to me exactly what you are doing. As details steps as possible please!

Quote:
There is NO way one can determine which option is chosen in the pull down menu, could you PLEASE add a checkmark to it?

I plan to look into that as part of replacing the settings menus with a proper GUI, although I can't promise that it's possible yet.

Quote:
I have a game that writes data and autosave to the disk where the game is started from. This partition is obviously write protected. Any way around it?

Please see the manual, specifically the sub-chapter "My HD installed games cannot save. Help!". Although I have thought about making this easier to change...

Edited by ChrisH on 2010/10/2 15:04:26
Edited by ChrisH on 2010/10/2 15:05:16
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

Quote:

@Raziel Quote:

That sounds like an OS4/monitor issue, rather than something RunInUAE specific...

EDIT: This could MAYBE be caused by choosing 320x240 (or 320x256) screen mode for RunInUAE, when you chose not to install those screenmodes when you installed RunInUAE. Is this the case?

Yes "user fault", ignore

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
i just happen to find the pulldown menu and tried to reduce the screen size of RunInUAE to 320x240 which gives me an error message in the UAE game screen about missing PAL/DBLPAL etc monitor

That sounds like a possible installer bug :( . Will look into it.

EDIT: I am unable to reproduce this problem. Are you using your own Workbench 3.1 installation or one created by RunInUAE? And which version of Amiga Forever CD did you use?

Part of the user fault above, Ignore aswell

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I need more info to reproduce this, since it is not clear to me exactly what you are doing. As details steps as possible please!

1) go to the eUAE installation dir
2) Open Notepad
3) Load in .uaerc_RuninUAE
4) Change something
5) Save
6) Load a game with RuninUAE
7) The error message mentioned above pops up
8) Refrain from failling to the floor crying and kicking
9) Take a deep breath
10) Tell the bug reporter to P*** off

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Found another glitch

In ENVARC:RuninUAE/apps

all the saved app pathes are in the form of

Partition:/path/to/the/app

mind the extra slash after the : !!!

It still works, so...

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

I'm currently playing a HD installed version of Beneath a Steel Sky CD32 from a XADFS mounted .zip archive on my SAM440 (using only normal A1200 KS3.1 ROM though as I don't have access my Amiga Forever CD ATM).

In a future RunInUAE version could you add IPF support? E-UAE supports this disk image format with capsimage.device installed, but RunInUAE refuses to work with them.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel Quote:
Yes "user fault", ignore

Are you SURE? How is it your fault? (Maybe I can reduce the chance of this "user fault" happening for others?)

Quote:
Part of the user fault above, Ignore aswell

Are you SURE? How is it your fault? (etc)

Also, I can't see how it could be related to the previous problem.

Quote:
1) go to the eUAE installation dir
2) Open Notepad
3) Load in .uaerc_RuninUAE
4) Change something
5) Save
6) Load a game with RuninUAE
7) The error message mentioned above pops up

Nope, still can't reproduce this :( . This might help me:

Before the start of these steps, can you please check whether ".uaerc_RunInUAE.bak" exists (it does not have an icon) & what file size both it & ".uaerc_RunInUAE" have?

And after doing those steps, can you please repeat these checks? And if it *does* still exist, then perhaps you could LHA/ZIP it (that's important!) and then email it to me?

Oh, which version of OS4 are you using? And what filingsystem is used by the partition that RunInUAE is installed on?

Quote:
all the saved app pathes are in the form of

Partition:/path/to/the/app

mind the extra slash after the : !!!

This is perfectly normal, and is due to how paths are internally represented (it's an OS-independant format used by my portable file/dir classes).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

CAPS support won't happen unless SPS release the sourcecode or make a library I can link E-UAE with. Unless someone else knows of another way to use the OS3 library somehow.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »