Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 52

bigmac, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

[SOLVED] AmigaOS 4.1/Sam440ep Network help needed
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

I'm a complete noob with Amiga networking. I still use dial-up for my Internet connection and I've never had an Ethernet connection on an Amiga.

I am currently using AmigaOS 4.1 Update 2 on a Sam440ep.

I tried to make me first Ethernet connection tonight, with an old router that a friend gave me. I connected the network cable to the Ethernet port that is closest to the edge of the Sam (port 1 on the diagram in the Sam User Guide), and the other end of the cable to the router.

The router is an AOpen AOR-401M 4-Port 10/100Mbps Ethernet Broadband Router.

Anyway, I tried to do the connection wizard thing, with automatic configuration. I chose device 0. I get error messages (I have put '?' over the MAC address):

Fri Jun 18 22:39:32 2010 [error]: Interface "PPC440EP_ETH" configuration failed with station address = 00:50:C2:??:??:?? (5,10193, Bad address, Unknown SANA-II wire error 10193).

and

AddNetInterface: Could not add interface "PPC440EP_ETH" (Input/output error).

Any idea what is going on?

(When I plugged it into my Windows PC it recognized a network and I was able to login to the administration page of the router, so the cable and router seem to be good.)

Edited by robo-ant on 2010/6/19 21:27:28
Go to top
Re: AmigaOS 4.1/Sam440ep Network help needed
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@robo-ant

Use "Internet" (in the Prefs drawer) to create a new interface, if you are using the usual DHCP, then there is very little configuration to do. It's remarkably simple.

I had the same experience with the internet wizard thingy and went round in circles with it for some time. It is a bit missleading and unhelpful when it comes to ethernet and didn't work for me either.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@robo-ant

When setting the NAME be sure each Unit/Port is different.

PPC440EP_ETH1 and PPC440EP_ETH0 (Be sure to hit enter after changing NAME)

Also supply a simple Hostname, samiga or mybox or whatever.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks for the help, guys!

After screwing around last night with it, I found out that there were two files in Devs:NetInterfaces that pointed to the same port. Anyway, I deleted all but on file in there, then shut off the computer for the night.

When I turned on the computer this afternoon it took a long time to boot (zzzz...) and I checked using ShowNetStatus and it looked like it had tried to work. My router wasn't plugged in.

I plugged in the router and rebooted the Sam and the connection worked immediately. I am currently posting in here via dial-up and I am also playing with the router's setup pages.

Cool!

Now I want to see if I can get a connection to my new netbook going.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@robo-ant

Can anyone instruct what the heck means -> 5,10193, Bad address, Unknown SANA-II wire error 10193. I am getting the same error. I had successfully created my Lan/Internet Connection via Internet Wizard in my 4.1 (SamEp440 btw) but on the latest update I can't.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@thread

Does anybody know the answer to the above question? I tried creating the Interface via Prefs/Internet. i did it successfully. However when I tried creating new Lan Connection via the Internet Wizard, I go the same error.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Anyone build a dual network system with SAM yet?

I might try building dedicated CPU cluster (and or "Sidecar" resembling x86 emulator) on the free ethernet port of SAM. Someone done that kind of thing already?

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@KimmoK
I couldn't even get the internet to work when both ethernet ports were configured (identically). Seemed that the disconnected port took priority over the connected port, or something wierd like that!

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Since no one knows what the fuck the error message means, can anybody instruct where the fuck I am gonna get a proper documentation to read about it? Or should I call the spirit of a past Commodore Net technician to explain me for a protocol of 1992?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN
If anyone on the OS4 team can help it would be Olaf Barthel. Perhaps someone could put you in contact with him? (Just beware he may be busy.)

Or you can just try debug this yourself:
1. Make a backup of your OS4 partition, in case you make things worse!
2. Check the contents of the Sys:Devs/NetInterfaces/ folder.
3. If you see more than one file there, please report what they are called.
4. We will then suggest removing one from there, and rebooting, to see if that fixes it. Or you can just try this yourself, and if no help then put it back (and try the other one).
5. If still no luck then probably best to remove all files from NetInterfaces, and try starting again from scratch using Sys:Prefs/Internet (or possibly Sys:Internet/New Connection, but I've never use that).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

I have already tried the steps you suggested. On a clean folder of Sys:Devs/NetInterfaces/ I called the new connection wizard and created a LAN connection and all I got was the above mentioned error through dialer output and the same error message immediately after rebooting. After the failed attempts, I did tried to edit the connection only to saw that the connection was stored a a DSL with Authentication again and again and again (even though I was selecting other options) requiring from me to enter login/password.

Again, from a clean folder of Sys:Devs/NetInterfaces/ I went to Sys:Prefs/Internet and created a connection. It successfully assigned IP and DNS (checked both through shownetstauts afterwards) but I got an error of "192.168.1.xxx (object exists)". That ip was my router. However, through OWB, I could play/communicate with the router settings but I couldn't browse the Internet.

After countless attempts, I decided to give up. Formatted the partition, installed OS4.1U1 then OS4.1U2 and created a new connection through Sys:Prefs/Internet. All went smooth! New connection created and I was browsing the Internet as well!

Then I rebooted, waited ... and on the splash screen, an old problem arose, all four leds of the ethernet went on, even though the cable was connected to devise 0. The old pal, the same error I was getting has returned, "Could not Open Devise 0" immediately after rebooting. No network at all after that.

I unplugged the cable and rebooted. It took twice the time to reboot (around 60 secs) but all leds were off. When into WB, I connected the cable, the leds of devise 0 went on but the network was not responding.

Again I rebooted (usual time, around 30 secs) with the cable plugged and at the splash screen all leds are on and the error "Could not Open Devise 0" again appeared.

*The cable has been successfully checked to be working on 2 other machines (pc).

To sum up, when the network was misconfigured I could communicate with the ethernet device (0 and 1) but could not set up the options correctly. After formatting, on a clean OS4.1U2 installation, the connection did worked but after the first reboot I am getting "Could not open devise 0".

Anyway, before starting a really hostile thread regarding OS4.1 I will go and check with Debian ppc whether devises 0 and 1 are in working condition, because right now, I believe that the OS is causing all these problem and not the hardware. But still, I am not 100% sure and have my doubts.

-> For the time being I would like an official respond from anyone who can speak in the name of Hyperion to the following:
1) How a user can perform a diagnosis to the ethernet devises, on a absolutely clean 4.1U2, in order to check whether they have any problem at all.
2) How can you identify the exact problem on the devise, if you managed to pass step 1.
3) Please justify whether you believe that the solution you will be providing matches the knowledge of an intermediate user or not.
4) Aside from the problem that have been reviewed on this post (since the hardware might be the actual problem), in all of your honesty, do you believe that OS4.1.U2 is in stable condition or still beta?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

Quote:

I have already tried the steps you suggested. On a clean folder of Sys:Devs/NetInterfaces/ I called the new connection wizard and created a LAN connection and all I got was the above mentioned error through dialer output...

If you are being prompted by "Dialer" to do anything, the interface is not correctly configured for use as a LAN connection.

Quote:

and the same error message immediately after rebooting. After the failed attempts, I did tried to edit the connection only to saw that the connection was stored a a DSL with Authentication again and again and again (even though I was selecting other options) requiring from me to enter login/password.

When you create the interface initially from the "New Connection" wizard, you need to specify the type of the connection as "Local Area Network" which is the bottom option of the three offered in the very first page.

Quote:

Then I rebooted, waited ... and on the splash screen, an old problem arose, all four leds of the ethernet went on, even though the cable was connected to devise 0. The old pal, the same error I was getting has returned, "Could not Open Devise 0" immediately after rebooting. No network at all after that.

It sounds silly I know, but you have specified the correct ethernet device for the connection you are setting up? On the Sam boards, if you are using the onboard ethernet, the device to select is "ppc440ep_eth.device". The unit numbers are a little misleading, with unit 0 being the socket nearest to the outer edge of the board, and unit 1 being the one nearest the monitor port.

Quote:

I unplugged the cable and rebooted. It took twice the time to reboot (around 60 secs) but all leds were off. When into WB, I connected the cable, the leds of devise 0 went on but the network was not responding.

The "AddNetInterface" command does not run asynchronously, so it will halt the boot process while it tries to add the configured network interfaces. If, for some reason, this takes longer than it should (cable not plugged in or incorrectly configured) then the boot times will increase. A lot of users edit their startup-sequences to "run" the AddNetInterfaces command which doesn't halt the boot, but may cause problems when running programs from startup that require a network.

There have been no reports from Sam uers having the kind of problems you describe without it being a simple configuration problem. My advice is to double check you have the correct network driver, and are using the appropriate unti number. After that, try setting the interface up so that the configuration is automatic (DHCP).

Failing that, let us know what happens, and perhaps we can give you a netinterface file that will work with your configuration.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

Creating an Internet connection in OS4.1. looks amazingly easy and someone must be *cough* dumb to choose DSL with authentication instead of LAN or not knowing how to choose DHCP (the option I have enabled), or even implement by hand the DNS, or not understanding where devise 0 and 1 is.

Right now, on an absolutely clean OS4.1U2 I have the cable connected to devise 0 (far corner port), then through Prefs/Internet I have created a connection which worked (selecting devise 0, DHCP enabled, provided a hostname etc), I have been auto-assigned the IP, DNS (double checked everything through router's page and through cli/shownetstatus), the network worked properly since I could browse the internet but afterwards, when I hard rebooted all 4 leds of the Ethernet Port on the SamEp are constantly ON upon SplashScreen and I get the error "Could not Open Devise 0".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I quote my self to anyone who can officially answer to me:

-> For the time being I would like an official respond from anyone who can speak in the name of Hyperion to the following:
1) How a user can perform a diagnosis to the ethernet devises, on a absolutely clean 4.1U2, in order to check whether they have any problem at all.
2) How can you identify the exact problem on the devise, if you managed to pass step 1.
3) Please justify whether you believe that the solution you will be providing matches the knowledge of an intermediate user or not.
4) Aside from the problem that have been reviewed on this post (since the hardware might be the actual problem), in all of your honesty, do you believe that OS4.1.U2 is in stable condition or still beta?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

Quote:

Creating an Internet connection in OS4.1. looks amazingly easy and someone must be *cough* dumb to choose DSL with authentication instead of LAN or not knowing how to choose DHCP (the option I have enabled), or even implement by hand the DNS, or not understanding where devise 0 and 1 is.

The easier something looks, the more likely it is that mistakes can creep in. Confidence can do strange things sometimes :)

Quote:

I get the error "Could not Open Devise 0".

OK, can you post the interface configuration files that get saved after you create the interface, that might tell us something about what is going wrong...

Quote:

The release of Update 1 created a common baseline for all supported platforms. This also had the effect of bringing the Sam440 version out of beta. Update 2 was released as a "quick-fix" for some small problems that were fixed since the Update 1 release, and applied equally to all platforms. There were no specific Sam problems addressed by that.

If you read some of the forum postings here from Sam users that have Update 2 installed and running for a while, you'll see that they report stability and speed was increased. Looking back even further, and you'll see similar reports when Update 1 was released.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo
# Sample configuration for my ppp-ethernet.device (PPPoE)
device=ppp-ethernet.device
unit=0
iprequests=48
writerequests=48

# Sample configuration for my ppp-serial.device
device=ppp-serial.device
iprequests=48
writerequests=48

[2010-07-21 19:39:46] Dialer 53.2 (3.10.2009)
[2010-07-21 19:39:48] Entering ethernet configuration mode.
[2010-07-21 19:39:49] Probing device eth3com.device, card 0.
[2010-07-21 19:39:49] Could not open eth3com.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:39:49] Could not open Networks/eth3com.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:39:49] Couldn't get hardware type (error=-1).
[2010-07-21 19:39:49] Probing device ppc440ep_eth.device, card 0.
[2010-07-21 19:39:49] Could not open ppc440ep_eth.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:39:51] Opened ppc440ep_eth.device, unit 0.
[2010-07-21 19:39:51] S2_DEVICEQUERY returned 1 (Ethernet).
[2010-07-21 19:39:51] Device is of supported type.
[2010-07-21 19:39:51] Probing device ppc440ep_eth.device, card 1.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Opened ppc440ep_eth.device, unit 1.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] S2_DEVICEQUERY returned 1 (Ethernet).
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Device is of supported type.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Probing device rtl8029.device, card 0.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Could not open rtl8029.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Could not open Networks/rtl8029.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Couldn't get hardware type (error=-1).
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Probing device rtl8139.device, card 0.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Could not open rtl8139.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Could not open Networks/rtl8139.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Probing device rtl8169.device, card 0.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Could not open rtl8169.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Could not open Networks/rtl8169.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Probing device usbdam8511.device, card 0.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Could not open usbdam8511.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:40:08] Could not open Networks/usbdam8511.device, unit 0. Error -1.
[2010-07-21 19:40:10] Modem on ppc440ep_eth.device, unit 0 was selected.

Network status summary
Local host address = 192.168.1.xx (on interface 'PPC440EP_ETH')
Default gateway address = 192.168.1.xxx
Domain name system servers = 192.168.1.xxx, 192.168.1.xxx

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Cool_amigaN

Well, I think that explains why it's not working.

Unless I'm reading things wrongly, you've used the ppp device to configure the ethernet connection.

For LAN connections on the Sam440, you need to use the ppc440ep_eth.device. The ppp device is designed to allow PPPoE transfers via a modem, which is why Dialer is giving you errors, there is no modem.

A typical LAN connection would generate a file like below in DEVS:NetInterfaces

#DEVS:NetInterfacesPPC440EP_ETH
# File generated by Dialer 53.2 (3.10.2009)
# on Friday, 21-May-10 at 18:58:36
device=ppc440ep_eth.device
unti=0
configure=dhcp

The "New Connection" wizard will confirm after it adds the interface that Dialer is not required for this interface.

Simon

----
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

The above files were generated through Prefs/Internet. I didn't call the Wizard. I just went to Prefs / Internet and the Internet Prefs show the following: Name: PPC440EP_ETH, Driver: ppc440ep_eth.device, Unit/Port: 0, Type: Uknown, Configuration: DHCP.

However, I went to Devs/NetInterfaces, deleted both files which I quoted above. I called the New Connection Wizard chosen LAN, Automatic configuration etc. It did assign again IP, DNS etc successfully like always.

The new NetInterface is the following:

# DEVS:NetInterfaces/PPC440EP_ETH
# File generated by Dialer 53.2 (3.10.2009)
# On Friday, 23-Jul-10 at 01:05:33
device=ppc440ep_eth.device
unit=0
configure=dhcp

So, I will wait and reboot the machine a couple of times to test it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN Quote:
in all of your honesty, do you believe that OS4.1.U2 is in stable condition or still beta?

I can't speak for Hyperion, but AmigaOS4.1 runs good on my Sam440 since Update 1, and great since Update 2. But some stupid bugs in Update 1 meant that some people would have had problems until they did a clean install of Update 2.

Officially the Sam version was no-longer beta since Update 1.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

After 3 days of extensive engagement the problem has been significantly reduced. I got the same error only once. It hasn't been permanently fixed but now I have most of the time the network up and running.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
OK, the problem has returned for good. I have taken a screenshoot http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4589/stefk.jpg . If anyone has any suggestion what to do next I would be delighted to hear.

Also, I can confirm that AmiUpdate looks affiliated with all this frustration (although I cannot understand why and I am not absolutely sure about it!). When I first installed it (the latest version), I scanned and updated some of the components. When I rebooted I got the error in the Network log output as seen in the screenshoot. After a hard reset the problem has been removed. Two days after I scanned and updated again, in the next reboot the problem has returned and remains even since.

Go to top

Register To Post