Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 143

skynet, jarokuczi, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

My SAM experience : just 3 days now.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
hello,

SAM here since 2 days now. my experience.

- DVI2SVGA give bad result on a CRT monitor. grey vertical line at the left of the screen or right of window opened.

- Use USB adaptator for ps2 mouse and ps2 keyboard. Recognized with aos4.1 but not for the Uboot screen or for the choose AOS4 or Linux (or I don't know use a keyboard and choose linux during the boot).

- USB: (all hardware use original filesystem)

1. PSP: OK
2. Card Reader HAMA 19 in 1:OK.
2. Card reader IT 9 in 1: OK.
3. 3 HD USB 2,5 lacie: NOT WORK.
4. cowon7, X5, A2: NOT WORK.
5. key 1go jumdrive elite: NOT WORK.

6. Fuji F30: NOT WORK. (usb ptp scanner done) and requester removed, but no Fuji Icons.

7. Sharkoon USB->PS2 converter: WORK with:

-sweex multimedia keyboard PS2.
-logitech 2buttons and wheel PS2 (from an old PC).

NOT WORK mean hardware recognized (I think all) but finally no icons on the WB screen.

Maybe mainly a problem with FAT filesystem. Maybe something missing on AOS4.1 install ???

All the mentionned hardware work great with my classic amiga with poseidon registered and spider2.

- REV C board without:

J7 - GPIO.
J8 - JTAG.
J4 - FPGA.
J27 - ???.
J10 - I2C.

the J4 port at lesat given some hope for additionnal hardware but no connector present.

The main fact is if you baught a SAM (1000 euros all included):

Impossible to use old CRT monitor, old USB key,... and have paid for a MB with connectors missing with rev C board and in the futur must buy also the I/O addons maybe one day released by Acube, thats killed me !!.

I'm very diseapointed....

One thing I'm sure is not to have a feedback from Acube here and send us a mail about problems without luck to have answer. The SAM used one hour first day, 15 minuts yesterday, I thing not used this day....

Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/2/8 13:19:58
Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/2/8 13:24:25
Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/2/8 19:40:22
A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Re: My SAM experience : just 3 days now.
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

You got problems dude???

HD Lacie worked fine on my os4.1, with sam, at the amiga meet I went to, a guy had a portable lacie, plugged it in, worked with no problems, even started to transfer information from his HD to my HD.

Funny, I am using a flexible rubber keyboard, works fine here, oh and, this same keyboard didnt work on XP

Mmmmm, Also, I use my usb camera, fujifilm, old technology one, works fine to transfer the photos across.

Let see, all my mice work fine, oh, they are al usb connections by the way.

Mmmmm, Another point get yourself a 4 port hub, then you can have all of it connected simultaneously.

Lets see, as for you not using your new gear, that is shameful. Iam a NEW USER and havebeen using my SAM440EP with OS4.1 every day now, since I got the system.

Have not at all touched windows since. Apart from needing a new psu the second day in, everything else I am relatively happy about.

Oh, another thing, use USB type keyboard and mouse to begin with, dude, we are in the modern AGE now.

what card reader works on your sam, that had gotton my interest?

Also, use USB inspector and try media toolbox. Its all there.

For some things you may need drivers.

Word of advice, honestly, ____ off the PS2 ____, and go modern hardare for your new expensive modern toy.

CRT, hahahahaha, Are you NUTZ. Have you considered seeking therapy.

MAN, even retro geeks are using LCD's on their A1200 or 4000miggys with vga connection.

Look, CRT, AFAIK, No freakin way man, this is modern hardware with like ancient technology ou want to place onto it. Put simply, most of it wont work, because of ur Niche market. HENCE, get more modern stuff, so that things DO work. Like me, I straight away got a 4 hub pot, already had sb keyboard flexible, and my system came with a logitech mouse, but I am still using an older usb mouse. Infact, I got so many USB mice here, they all seem to work.

IBM usb, Microsoft USB, nameles USB, and ofcourse the daily user mouse on my sam440ep, Logitech.

Cheers.

Let me know if you hit problems with USB keyboard and mouse, that would interest me. Also, here is a site for you that may help you decide on what to get.

http://os4welt.de/rc1/html/tt/HWListe/HWLmain.html

Here you will find a list of tested hardware items.
the word JA = YeS and NEIN = NO

Cheers, and hope that link helps you.

-Mod Edit-

Removed Swearing

Edited by Jurassicc on 2009/2/8 13:03:44
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

Actually, here is the flexible keyboard I use, so you get the picture.

I mean, just wont to show you, that the sam hardware and os4.1 is not as shet as your making it out to be. It is clearly useable as an everyday system

But i think you need to get a lot of stuff from here

www.os4depot.net

anyhow,here is my keyboard, i got a blue one of these a while back before I even got the sam.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/items/?_nkw=f ... 0.l1313&_odkw=d&_osacat=0

Also, Do not istall OwB 3.5 over your original, place it into your work directory instead.

Mmmm, Get yourself wookiechat and sabremsn. I can help you online if you wish. Just PM me if you would like that.

Cheers.

P.S. Soon you can also see a list of things I have tested. cheers again.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gebrochen

Have just the place for 1 keyboard and this PS2 keyboard used also with my classic amiga I use to answer you actually.

Thats funny to say: buy New TFT, New USB keyboard,.... to me because I'm sure if YOU will buy A PC and have your old hardware not working, you will not be verry happy, like me.

I'm sure I could buy the last PC and have all my old harware working ON but It's not my wish of course

NOTE:

Have added on my first post the card readers and also my fuji F30 NOT WORKING also with my SAM (who work great with spider2/poseidon on the classic).

No masstorage.usbfd on sys:devs/usb/fd/ (just hid and ptp), please check on your aos4.1 install please ???

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr
Quote:

- Use USB adaptator for ps2 mouse and ps2 keyboard. Recognized with aos4.1 but not for the Uboot screen or for the choose AOS4 or Linux (or I don't know use a keyboard and choose linux during the boot).

SAM440ep User Guide, point #6 Firmware:
[quote]
To use an USB keyboard under UBoot, it needs to be attached to the upper external USB port (J18).
[quote]

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:

No masstorage.usbfd on sys:devs/usb/fd/ (just hid and ptp), please check on your aos4.1 install please ???

massstorage.usbfd is now in sys:kickstart and is loaded at boot.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Gebrochen
Quote:

CRT, hahahahaha, Are you NUTZ. Have you considered seeking therapy.

MAN, even retro geeks are using LCD's on their A1200 or 4000miggys with vga connection.

Look, CRT, AFAIK, No freakin way man, this is modern hardware with like ancient technology ou want to place onto it. Put simply, most of it wont work, because of ur Niche market. HENCE, get more modern stuff, so that things DO work. Like me, I straight away got a 4 hub pot, already had sb keyboard flexible, and my system came with a logitech mouse, but I am still using an older usb mouse. Infact, I got so many USB mice here, they all seem to work.

Plenty of graphics & video professionals use CRT monitors because it's the only way to get accurate display of all screen resolutions. When you use anything other than the native resolution on an LCD monitor, you are getting a calculated approximation of the actual screen image. If you place a good multisync CRT beside a high resolution LCD monitor and display the same 640x480 or 800x600 resolution screen, you will be laughing at the crappy looking LCD screen. A CRT monitor is a good choice if you want to use the same monitor for a classic Amiga and a SAM.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Yes you have right the CRT gives a better quality video than the LCD, but as far as i know, the lcd are the only one that give 1x1 pixel precision..

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mrodfr
Quote:

DVI2SVGA give bad result on a CRT monitor. grey vertical line at the left of the screen or right of window opened.

Others have reported problems with monitor image quality when using the DVI2VGA adapter with SAM boards. Check out some of the other recent SAM topics here at Amigans.net.

Your problem sounds more like an adjustment/sync issue. I have never been able to switch a monitor from a classic Amiga to a PC (or my ?A1) with out making adjustments. If your monitor has settings on the front or on-screen settings, you may need to force it to re-synchronize to the output signal from the SAM. Some monitors will not automatically re-sync if the incoming video signal is close to one that it synchronized to previously.

Check the monitor settings in the DEVS:monitors driver for your system. Be sure those setting match your monitor specs.

As a last resort you may need to create a custom monitor mode with Picasso96Mode prefs. I haven't heard of many people needing to resort to that though.

It may require a little work on your part to get it working but may prove worthwhile in the end. Without knowing what settings are available on your monitor, nobody can probably tell you exactly what to do. I can tell you that the initial image quality on my ?A1 was crap, Text varied from clear to blurry accross the screen. I spent several hours fine tuning the display with the on-screen monitor settings and ended up with pretty good results.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Νο, the problem isn't the synchronisation of monitors. Mine that didn't work was the last and most expensive from the Samsung Synmaster LCD/TV series of 4:3 (not widescreen monitor). That monitor had an auto-synchronisation but the problem continued.

I told about it at ACube and they offered to send me a VGA cable that I was supposed to substitute with my previous one that came with the monitor. But still, they weren't sure that this cable would correct the problem. They are working on it. Anyway, I passed the offer because by the time they answered me I bough I new monitor with DVI input.

Go to top

Register To Post