Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
2 questions about OS4 (classic) SW compatibility
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello.
I was recently informed that OS4 doesn't support WarpOS/PUP emulation, hence all WOS/PUP apps and games developed for AOS 3.x will fail to work on OS4. Is this true?? I haven't bought OS4 yet, so i can't confirm this, but it sounds so awful to me that i have difficulties to believe it.

Also, is it true that PFS doesn't work?

Go to top
Re: 2 questions about OS4 (classic) SW compatibility
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigamancer

Quote:

Amigamancer wrote:
Hello.
I was recently informed that OS4 doesn't support WarpOS/PUP emulation, hence all WOS/PUP apps and games developed for AOS 3.x will fail to work on OS4. Is this true??
Yes.

Quote:
No idea, if the "direct-scsi" version of it doesn't work (the "normal" one doesn't support HDs > 4GB) it's because of a bug in PFS. Other AmigaOS 3.x/m68k file systems work without problems on AmigaOS4.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

or aren't the OS4 drivers that doesn't supports TD64 nor HD_SCSICMD?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:
@Amigamancer

Quote:

Amigamancer wrote:
Hello.
I was recently informed that OS4 doesn't support WarpOS/PUP emulation, hence all WOS/PUP apps and games developed for AOS 3.x will fail to work on OS4. Is this true??
Yes.

Oh...
That means no Heretic 2, no Wipeout, Shogo, Payback, etc.. I own some of these games and i was hoping that i would get some extra FPS's from them under OS4.
Now i realise that i will have to switch to AOS 3.0 or MOS whenever i want to play them.
EDIT: Is this something that was introduced in the last OS update? I could almost swear that i've seen old posts of some A1/OS4 users who were able to run Wipeout and Heretic2..

Quote:
No idea, if the "direct-scsi" version of it doesn't work (the "normal" one doesn't support HDs > 4GB) it's because of a bug in PFS. Other AmigaOS 3.x/m68k file systems work without problems on AmigaOS4.[/quote]

I see. I asked this because PFS is unbeatable speed-wise. I guess that the OS4 native version of SFS should be faster than the 68k-only PFS?
Well, i can't blame OS4 for a PFS bug anyway.

Edited by Amigamancer on 2007/12/21 22:18:08
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Amigamancer

SFS is extremely fast, and FFS is always extremely slow.

I think on OS3.9 SFS about as fast as PFS, on OS4 it will be allot faster me thinks.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Amigamancer

WarpOS emulation was introduced in OS4 Update 2 or 3 for AmigaOne. It was "un-introduced" in OS4 Final.

I copied the OS4 Update 4 version of the emulation across, and have had no problems with it in OS4 July Update (which should be more-or-less the same as the Classic release version)

Certainly Wipeout works, and Earth 2140 does too, perfectly. Payback has a few problems with the sound giving up, although I've just tested it and it seems fine (with NallePUH).

Joerg will tell you it doesn't work, but this is my experience. The problem is you can't legally get hold of the WarpOS emulator. It might be worth registering your O4 on the Hyperion website (if you haven't already) and seeing if you get access to the AmigaOne OS4 updates. If so, you can download Update4 then and get it from there.

Chris

Edited by Chris on 2007/12/21 23:44:54
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Framiga

Quote:

Framiga wrote:
@joerg

The AmigaOS4 drivers of course support the AmigaOS NSD 64 bit commands as well as HD_SCSICMD, but PFS doesn't (except for the "direct-scsi" version which uses HD_SCSICMD).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigamancer

Quote:
Oh...
That means no Heretic 2,
In Heretic 2 hardware 3D doesn't work anyway with the release versions of the OS4 Voodoo Warp3D drivers, only with some older beta versions. IIRC it didn't work on Radeon cards either. Classic Amigas are probably too slow for using software 3D.

Quote:
no Wipeout,
Has a bug (writes to memory it didn't allocate) which can be easily worked around on the AmigaOne, but not on classic Amigas. It has some other bugs as well and for example always crashes on exit.

Quote:
Shogo,
Hardware 3D doesn't work with any version of the OS4 Warp3D drivers without errors, and Classic Amigas are probably too slow for using software 3D.

Quote:
Payback, etc..
The demo version includes a m68k binary. Isn't that the case for the full version?

All of them use Warp3D, which currently is limited to Voodoo cards on classic Amigas, other graphic cards, except for Radeon cards which don't work with Prometheus and Mediator, aren't supported by the AmigaOS4 version of Warp3D. No idea if the Voodoo Warp3D drivers only work with the AmigaOS4 3dfxVoodoo.chip, or if they work when using the Elbox Picasso96 drivers as well.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:

Quote:
Payback, etc..
The demo version includes a m68k binary. Isn't that the case for the full version?

Yes it is, and it works perfectly under OS4.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Amigamancer
Quote:
I asked this because PFS is unbeatable speed-wise.

It has been beat. Forget about it and use the native Amiga OS 4.0 version of SFS instead.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
Certainly Wipeout works,
That would be the only additional game you could run if I'd release a version of powerpc.library for the current kernels, and on classic Amigas only if you have a Prometheus or Medator and a Voodoo graphics card.

Quote:
and Earth 2140 does too, perfectly.
Includes a m68k binary as well (at least the demo version).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Payback isn't quite perfect here, the textures don't alway display properly on some of the cars and trees, nothing that spoils the game though.

Shogo also has some graphical glitches too and only runs in software render mode. I think

Wipeout 2097 and Heretic 2 work nicely with Radeon here on the latest update too.

There are OS4 native versions of Quake 2 and Freespace although they are software only.

I think the OS4 Voodoo drivers should work on the Classic hardware but drivers that require DMA won't. You can use Elbox's drivers if you want to run network, TV and Sound Blaster cards but you must not run the OS4 PCI drivers at the same time.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:
@Framiga

Quote:

Framiga wrote:
@joerg

The AmigaOS4 drivers of course support the AmigaOS NSD 64 bit commands as well as HD_SCSICMD, but PFS doesn't (except for the "direct-scsi" version which uses HD_SCSICMD).

mhhh ... if i patch AOS4 cybppc.device with the TD64 patch on OS4Depot, i have all my PFS3 partition back. (re-mounting them then)

Are you sure thats a PFS3 fault?

And even PFS3 direct-scsi doesn't works without the patch.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Amigamancer

Quote:

No, it is not true.

I think you cannot boot from a PFS partition but you can still use PFS once it has been installed in OS4.

All my ZIP disks are formatted with PFS filesystem and I can still use them with no problem. In fact it was only a few FFS formatted ZIPs I had trouble with and could not read.

I still have PFS partitions on an old hard driveD somewhere which were (and no doubt would still be) readable too.

You need to copy the file pfs3 to your l: folder from your OS3 install. I do not think I needed any other files

Bill.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BillE
every PFS3 partitions larger than 4GB, are not recognized by AOS4 cybppc.device

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Framiga

Quote:

@joerg

Quote:

mhhh ... if i patch AOS4 cybppc.device with the TD64 patch on OS4Depot, i have all my PFS3 partition back. (re-mounting them then)

Are you sure thats a PFS3 fault?
Yes, there never was a version of PFS which supported the AmigaOS NSD 64 bit commands for HDs > 4 GB. It only supports the inoffical Babel/Phase5/MorphOS TD64 commands instead, which are of course not supported by AmigaOS drivers.

Quote:
And even PFS3 direct-scsi doesn't works without the patch.
No idea why that version doesn't work, it should.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

"No idea why that version doesn't work, it should."

as i said, it doesn't

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Framiga

Quote:

Framiga wrote:
@joerg

"No idea why that version doesn't work, it should."

as i said, it doesn't
I don't have PFS to check what it's doing wrong.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

while i understand that english is not our native language, what exactly you don't understand?

Every PFS3 partition over 4GB (the plain and the direct-scsi) will not be recognized by AOS4 cybppc.device.

To get these partitions recognizabled under AmigaOS4, you have to apply the TD64Patch and re-mount the PFS3 partitions and AmigaOS4 will be able to see/use it correctly.

I'm not saying that SFS is worse or nothing (i'm using it under AmigaOS3.x and MOS since years for testing pourposes), i'm only saying that PFS3 partitions are not recognizable by AmigaOS4 because the cybppc.device is not TD64 compatible ... and btw, switching from a FS to another having a bunch of partitions over different disks is not that funny!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Framiga

Quote:

Framiga wrote:
@joerg

while i understand that english is not our native language, what exactly you don't understand?
You don't seem to understand that PFS doesn't work because of bugs in PFS, not because there is something wrong in AmigaOS4.
AFAIK all other AmigaOS 3.x/m68k file system work on AmigaOS4 (as long as they don't use some very ancient BCPL suff which isn't supported anymore), PFS is the only one which doesn't.

Quote:
Every PFS3 partition over 4GB (the plain and the direct-scsi) will not be recognized by AOS4 cybppc.device.

To get these partitions recognizabled under AmigaOS4, you have to apply the TD64Patch and re-mount the PFS3 partitions and AmigaOS4 will be able to see/use it correctly.
Yes, but that (using 3rd party TD64 commands instead of the offical AmigaOS NSD 64 bit commands) is a bug in PFS. Do you expect us to implement the broken TD64 system in the AmigaOS4 drivers to work around such bugs?

I have no idea why the direct-scsi version of PFS doesn't work with the AmigaOS4 cybppc.device, HD_SCSICMD is of course supported and working.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »