Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: What do you expect from update 3?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I really don't see many bugs, but I think bug fixing is most important. Then perhaps USB 2.0 support so I can buy a USB2 card for my AmigaOne, instead of using the motherboard ports which don't work well. I am willing to pay for that.

However, I'm happy with all my OS4 systems, so whatever the next update contains is fine with me.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
I really don't see many bugs, but I think bug fixing is most important. Then perhaps USB 2.0 support so I can buy a USB2 card for my AmigaOne, instead of using the motherboard ports which don't work well. I am willing to pay for that.

I totally agree with you, to be able to use a usb2.0 card would be fantastic.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
What do you expect from update 3?

Garbage collection for c++ objects!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil

:) And updated intuition/boopsi/reaction stuff to support more than 1sublevel of menus ! :) (just to make things perfect)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:

And updated intuition/boopsi/reaction stuff to support more than 1sublevel of menus ! :)

The fact that Amiga menus are limited to just two levels is, actually, a good thing: it prevents the menu strip from becoming too complex and the user from getting lost in it. Easier menu structure = easier navigation = easier application control. Plus, if you read some more recent books about user interface design, you'll notice that menus are becoming less important than in the past.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie
For me 1level are fine enough already, its just to make port of QT menus to native easer.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

+1

So we can hope to see normal menus also on Timberwolf

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@trixie

Quote:
Plus, if you read some more recent books about user interface design, you'll notice that menus are becoming less important than in the past.

...and if you try anything Microsoft have written in the last five years or so, you'll see that they have taken it to the extreme. Tabbed toolbars are the in thing, apparently. Personally I can't stand them. They take up a lot of space, it is not at all obvious what you need to click on (I prefer words over icons, I find myself hovering over pictorial buttons waiting for the helphints except for the obvious common designs). The tabbed toolbar design necessitates a reduction in the number of tabs (menus), so things are grouped or moved to other - less logical - tabs for space reasons. I've been using Office 2007 for three years and I still have absolutely no idea where any of the functions are, even having to hunt through all the tabs for things I use relatively often.

Any user interface book writer recommending this travesty of design needs to be strung up. I don't think I've met a single person who would choose the tabbed toolbar design over proper menus.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Chris wrote:
@trixie

Quote:
Plus, if you read some more recent books about user interface design, you'll notice that menus are becoming less important than in the past.

...and if you try anything Microsoft have written in the last five years or so, you'll see that they have taken it to the extreme. Tabbed toolbars are the in thing, apparently. Personally I can't stand them. They take up a lot of space, it is not at all obvious what you need to click on (I prefer words over icons, I find myself hovering over pictorial buttons waiting for the helphints except for the obvious common designs). The tabbed toolbar design necessitates a reduction in the number of tabs (menus), so things are grouped or moved to other - less logical - tabs for space reasons. I've been using Office 2007 for three years and I still have absolutely no idea where any of the functions are, even having to hunt through all the tabs for things I use relatively often.

Any user interface book writer recommending this travesty of design needs to be strung up. I don't think I've met a single person who would choose the tabbed toolbar design over proper menus.

What's even more funny and puzzling, is the fact that some tabs are not always on the same place. You use that tab or function a lot, and it moves in order for you to have it more at hand! It's so fun! It really recalls me of my childhood when playing hide and seek! (unfortunately I did not like it that much even back then).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
And updated intuition/boopsi/reaction stuff to support more than 1sublevel of menus ! :)

I don't think possible without a completely new Intuition menu system (I did post why I thought this elsewhere, but I can't find the post now).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@chris

Quote:

Tabbed toolbars are the in thing, apparently. Personally I can't stand them.

I absolutely agree, but replacing menus with tabbed toolbars wasn't the point of my post, was it?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Amigo1

Quote:

What's even more funny and puzzling, is the fact that some tabs are not always on the same place. You use that tab or function a lot, and it moves in order for you to have it more at hand! It's so fun!

Microsoft has never been too good at GUIs. If you read Jeff Johnson's "GUI Bloopers 2.0" you'll see that quite a few examples of bad GUI design comes from MS apps. The one you are referring to - the use of dynamic GUI elements that appear or disappear depending on situation - is something MS became quite infamous for.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I hope to see shell and usb 2.0 as these modules are there from a loooong time..

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)