Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: What happened to Qt??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
alfkil wrote:
@nbache

Do you compose yourself?? How odd, I didn't know!
No, not really. But I regularly need to typeset and print scores, e.g. for our family acapella quartet (my brother and sister and niece plus yours truly). This is usually transpositions of existing music, or sometimes slight rearrangements, but not really original compositions.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
Update: I have been diverted to try and port CMake

Wow! That would be a massive help for everyone. I tried to port it myself but it needs some filesystem-specific code ripped out and replaced - looked like it needed rather more time than setting up a cross-compilation environment, so I didn't bother.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
Update: I have been diverted to try and port CMake

Good luck !
This is the unique native dep we miss to handle port such OWB without any Cross compiler help

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans Quote:
A common misconception is that Gallium3D is OpenGL; it's not. Gallium3D is a 3D graphics driver system, and MESA (the OpenGL API) sits on top of that.

I'm not sure if most people (non-programmers) will understand/care though. So I'm afraid I shall still keep saying Gallium3D as if it is the whole of story, just like I say "virtual memory" instead than "paging"...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Hans Quote:
A common misconception is that Gallium3D is OpenGL; it's not. Gallium3D is a 3D graphics driver system, and MESA (the OpenGL API) sits on top of that.

I'm not sure if most people (non-programmers) will understand/care though. So I'm afraid I shall still keep saying Gallium3D as if it is the whole of story, just like I say "virtual memory" instead than "paging"...

If you're going to compare it to "virtual memory" and paging, then Gallium3D would be the "paging," and OpenGL would be the "virtual memory." Actually, what you're doing is more like calling a "car" a "motor," because it uses a motor internally.

Gallium can also be used for DirectX, or OpenCL. It really has nothing to do with OpenGL, and treating it as such is causing confusion. MESA will not be replaced by Gallium3D, and application developers will not be "using Gallium3D" (and yes, I've been asked about this).

Do whatever you like though.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@CrhisH
Quote:

I'm not sure if most people (non-programmers) will understand/care though.

Common CrhisH, its not about programmers and non-programmers. Its just about knowing basics. No one saying "DirectX" when they want to say "OpenGL", and no one say "OpenGL" when then saying DirectX. And its even not so different as gallium3d with mesa, and even in that case no one mess it. As well as no one say GDI if mean OpenGL, or System Drivers if want to say something else.

Gallium3d is pure driver, OpenGL its absolutly different beast, which just sit at top. It's just some luck that we will have gallium3d + opengl combo at one time, but of course, its pretty possible to have gallium3d without opengl, and opengl without gallium3d.

Quote:

So I'm afraid I shall still keep saying Gallium3D as if it is the whole of story, just like I say "virtual memory" instead than "paging"...

But its not whole store. Its 2 different beasts, and we just have luck that we will have 2 at once. Its only some time ago original authors merge gallium3d code into mesa, till that moment, just for easy integration.

You can be sure, every user who care about graphical stuff, dig in into topic deeply, and trying to make amiga users more foolish with simplicifing things which can't be so simplicified are wrong. If you do not want to know topic deeply, not need to think that other ones (even plain users) want to be "classic amiga users who know nothing" :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Don't know if there was some misunderstanding but:

I'm afraid I see no problem with saying that Gallium3D will be the new OpenGL/MESA implementation. To be honest, this seems pretty accurate (technically speaking) despite being a slight simplification.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
I'm afraid I see no problem with saying that Gallium3D will be the new OpenGL/MESA implementation.

I think that Mesa is to Gallium as MiniGL is to Warp3d. One is an apps side API, the other is a hardware driver. They can mate in the middle, or they can each mate to other things with the same middle API. MESA could be ported on top of Warp3d instead of Gallium, and use it instead of MiniGL (which is not part of Warp3d) , and then you'd be using Mesa without even porting Gallium at all.

This is the difference between ISA and HASA, and it's not correct to shrug it away and ignore it.

I could take the EJ257 engine out of my Impreza and put it in my wife's Forester, but neither of us would say we drive an EZ257. I drive an Impreza and she drives a Forster. My car HASA EJ257 engine, but my car NOT ISA EJ257 engine.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Does this have any relevance to our Qt port?
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/05/31/lighthouse-has-grown-up-now/

This was part of the news from Qt 4.8.0:
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/12/15/qt-4-8-0-released/

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

I'm not sure if most people (non-programmers) will understand/care though.

We try.

Quote:

Gallium3d is pure driver, OpenGL its absolutly different beast, which just sit at top.

Quote:

So I'm afraid I shall still keep saying Gallium3D as if it is the whole of story, just like I say "virtual memory" instead than "paging"...

Ah! Clear as mud.

Does this sound familiar?

C--'What's the name of the guy on first?'
A--'What is on second. Who is on first.'
C--'That's what I'm asking you'

Could you please produce a printable Flowchart?
One showing how all the elements combine to produce visible
graphics. Including of course Hardware/OS/Software.

This is like planning a road trip over telephone with everybody
looking at different maps.

Please, and Thank You.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mechanic
Can we please NOT revive that very old discussion? Thanks.

P.S. I didn't understand your point either... but please do NOT clarify it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
10-4

A1-X1000
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)