Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 94

VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Converting catalog in UTF-8 code
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have finished the localization (in greek) for the newest version of OWB, but in the catalog description file there is a part which strongly mentions to convert the below strings in UTF-8 (for the context menus).

How you can do that, when you create a new catalog? Although everything is working fine, the context menus appear empty (no characters).

Will I need a UTF-8 supported text editor for that, or I can fix that via FlexCat (I'm not completely sure about that)?

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Re: Converting catalog in UTF-8 code
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Phantom

Never had such problem when translating in my language, but for what i've understand it appear empty when a string is not availible or cannot be see by the program.. aniway did you got this UTF8 alert during compiling with Flexcat right ?

If yes, can you post the message/error here ?

Aniway for any UTF8 project you might try to work "side by side" with NoWinED

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ samo79

Well the string is available and translated of course, but bear in mind that italian uses latin characters, but greeks no. About FlexCat, no, it didn't give me an alert, it compiles the catalog without any problem.

I will try NoWinED to see.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
i think you can simply enter escape sequences for unicode. this should be much better readable and maintainable.
for example the german "ü" should result "\xc3\xbc"

on the os4 version unfortunately the utf8 "ü" in the catalog string results in the string not to be rendered...
roman needs to check this. no answer yet, though.

regards...
michael

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Phantom

Quote:
I have finished the localization (in greek) for the newest version of OWB, but in the catalog description file there is a part which strongly mentions to convert the below strings in UTF-8 (for the context menus).

That sounds horribly non-standard. Catalog files are supposed to be in whichever 8-bit character set is specified in the header of the file. I'd be surprised if using UTF-8 for certain strings works at all, as locale.library may do some conversion of the strings when the catalog is loaded.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I guess Roman might have an answer to this. As far as I remember this problem was also exactly the same with the first MUI-OWB port for AmigaOS 4.1 as well.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is there any form of existing "UTF8" header for catalogs?

When I begin expanding beyond code into having Japanese strings I will be needing to deal with escape sequencing *everything*.

There will also be some mixed strings due to that Japanese requires English remain a "side by side"...with the option of any "extended roman" characters are also to be available.

as for right now I am trying to work out some form of comrpessed phonetic format database to match off with the Japanese symbols so that I can properly list the relevant Kanji for any given translation options.

I will also need to reconsider how to use the Jim Breen dictionary database for translation purposes as well.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
NoWinED seems to do the job just fine for the UTF8 part though (it works), but all the others are completely broken unfortunately.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Phantom

It looks like OWB is using mixed charsets inside the catalog file. Only MSG_LOCALIZED_XXX should be in UTF-8 and the codeset of the catalog should not be set to UTF-8.

You could try your original translation and replace only the MSG_LOCALIZED_XXX strings with the UTF-8 ones. But I don't know what the locale.library will do.

This should be fixed for the OS4 port.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have sent an email to Fab, hope that will get an answer soon.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Phantom

I have done it with the german catalog because some of the popup menus where missing in my config (german_ISO-8859-15).

My Steps:

• renamed the file "deutsch.ct" to "owb_german_l9.ct" (l9 = latin9 = ISO-8859-15)

• edited all strings to iso-8859-15 in "owb_german_l9.ct"

• converted the file "owb_german_l9.ct" to a new utf-8 file "owb_german_utf8.ct"
    > CharsetConvert owb_german_l9.ct ISO-8859-15 owb_german_utf8.ct UTF-8

• copied "owb_german_l9.ct" to "owb_german_mixed.ct"

• replaced all MSG_LOCALIZED_XXX from "owb_german_mixed.ct" with the ones from "owb_german_utf8.ct"

• set "## codeset 111" in "owb_german_mixed.ct" (thats the MIBenum for ISO-8859-15, see L:CharSets/character-sets for your number)

• set "## language german" in "owb_german_mixed.ct"

• compiled the catalog
    > CatComp owb.cd owb_german_mixed.ct CATALOG OWB.catalog

• installed the catalog in Catalogs/german

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks, will try your tutorial and let you know.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Phantom
If you done with, send me plz latest version for 1.23 as well

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Belxjander

Quote:
Is there any form of existing "UTF8" header for catalogs?
Codeset 106 is UTF-8.

It doesn't matter which charset was used for creating a catalog, locale.library converts the strings into the encoding you select with OC_WantedCodeset (default: locale prefs selected ILocale->OpenLocale(NULL)->loc_CodeSet).

For example if Odyssey needs UTF-8 strings it has to use ILocale->OpenCatalog("Odyssey.catalog", OC_WantedCodeSet, 106, ...) to open it's catalogs. The translators must not change anything, they can still use for example ISO-8859-15 (Codeset 111) when creating their translations.

Quote:
When I begin expanding beyond code into having Japanese strings I will be needing to deal with escape sequencing *everything*.
AmigaOS 4.x only supports 8 bit charsets (the ones in LOCALE:Charsets and ISO-8859-1) and UTF-8 (Codeset 106) in locale.library, keymap.library, etc., but no multi byte charsets like Japanese ones, therefore you have to use UTF-8.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Phantom
you can use 'iconv' tool (http://www.os4depot.net/share/develop ... library/misc/libiconv.lha [libiconv-1.11/src/iconv]) it translates from/to varios codesets (iso_8859-15 to utf-8)

ex.: iconv -f iso_8859-15 -t utf-8 file_to_translate >RAM:translated.txt

Maybe it can do "on the fly" translation ex.: iconv -f iso_8859-15 -t utf-8 <óöÜñÑ
and will show/output translated to UTF-8

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jabirulo

There's also C:CharSetConvert, so no need to go to OS4Depot for this task.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

Oops, you're right, didn't notice such nice native tool

THX

Go to top

Register To Post