Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 110

flash, walkero, Magic, more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

(1) 2 3 »
AmigaOS support forum.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I do not like moaning or ranting, but sometimes I do get a little irked.

Before I start, I know that this is irrational and I may get shot down, but in Free for All we should be able to go a little off track, no?

Here goes, I find it depressing to visit the Hyperion AmigaOS support forum and click on new posts only to be faced with a page of Linux discussion threads that have no relevance to AmigaOS.
Of course the Linux distros run on X1000 and Sam Amigas, but these machines are A-Eon and acube projects so strictly speaking, not relevant to Hyperion.... I have been told many times that Hyperion will not comment on A-Eon projects and vice versa, but the AmigaOS support forum seems to be an exception.

Do I want direct action taken?
Am I going to mount a class action law suit?
Do I REALLY care?

No!

Am I in awe of the skills and hard work of the Linux guys that maintain the kernals and distros? Hell yes they do awesome work!

But as a fan of AmigaOS, the AmigaOS support forum being Linux heavy does irk me a little.

Go to top
Re: AmigaOS support forum.
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Don't worry, you're not alone in your thinking. It gets on my nerves too. So much so, I don't bother with it any more.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I agree with you even if Spectre660 work is great and important in using our hardware.
Now I would like him to code for OS4

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ddni

I'm not sure about the forum software but i believe it is possible to "Unsubscribe" from certain fora, so the posts doesn't show up when you choose to "Show Unread Posts" or "Show New Posts" under "Board Index".

Just click on a forum, scroll all the way down and uncheck "Subscribe forum"

I haven't checked it myself as i'm simply ignoring everything Linux

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ddni
You not alone. I even feel annoyed by those linux threads lately on amigans there. Like any of us so worry about linuxes and we here for linuxes :)

@Simon
It is possible on hyperion's support forum to just make linux forum be off from main page and from "active" topics, some subforum is ok, but it really start to be annoing and make me think "why we need it all here, if we all here for amigaos" :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Unsubscribing from the Linux sub fora would be a way of not seeing the threads. However, I would know that they are still there and that is not good for any casual AmigaOS forum visitors (who may infer that AmigaOS=Linux) or my OCD

I want to be crystal clear that the hard work of xeno and spectre etal is very impressive, but as an Amigan the Linux threads leave me cold.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi All,

I'm sorry about your worry with the Linux threads. Spectre and I work hard day for day for you to give you a good Linux support. But if you don't like Linux, then we can stop our work for you.

All the best,

Christian

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
We love AmigaOS 4.1 but we need Linux for our professional work on NG Amigas. The Linux team have also contributed for the Odyssey bounty.

Is it really bad to get information about Linux on NG Amigas?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Xeno
One thread about linux is enough where you can post all the info for not so many ppls who in interest in linux there. Now its all just start to be floody by different topics in which no one reply (as not many in interest).

Seriously, if any of us want linux, we for sure will be not here, there is much more professional forums about all sort of unixes.

Its of course ok that some worry about it, and do what he want, just you can't expect that ppls who buy overpriced hw specially to run amigaos on it, will have much interest in linux (for what then buy that hw, there is million other choices).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xeno74

No please do not stop developing Linux, who knows, one day it may be the only option for our niche HW!
My comment is not about your very good work, but rather about how the AmigaOS support forum is busier with Linux information and development than AmigaOS development.
This thread is possibly driven by envy on my part of the rapid progress you and spectre make! (Ever think of jumping in to OS4 work?)

It may also be a sign that AmigaOS4 devs need to shout more about their great work!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

That's only your opinion. I use my A1-X1000 for both worlds. For my Amiga hobby I use OS4.1. And with a fast reboot (SSD yeah!) Linux for my professional work. I need only one computer.

Anyway, I will continue to look into this thread. And if no one wants more information about Linux, then I'll stop the postings. Is it OK for you?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ddni

There are some nice things being developed behind the scenes at A-EON for X1000 users. More will be revealed in three months time

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xeno74

I know that this thread is only about "forum posts" and not about your good work on LinuxPPC but I just want to say to you :

Keep your good work on Linux (and on SuperTuxKart !)
Thank you

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ddni

Don't worry. I work for A-EON. And I know that the OS4 development team work much harder and faster then the Linux team. But most of their work is secret (NDA). Our work is open and we can give more information to the community. But we also have a small NDA. ;)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@thread

THis is as silly thread there are 11550 posts in the OS support section of which only 1342 are linux related that's about 11%

Ofcourse if you read all the amigaos posts and ignore the linux ones eventutally the linux ones will overflow the unread section.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

The solution is simple BTW when you feel your linux xenophobia becoming overwhelming simply nip into the two linux forums and mark the posts as read using the handy link. (top and bottom of forum table).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

Seriously, if any of us want linux, we for sure will be not here, there is much more professional forums about all sort of unixes.

There maybe but they are not specific to our platforms, and likely will not have even heard of them.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Yes it is silly AND irrational!
Good tip about marking the linux forums as read. It isnt xenophobia though, rather a desire for more AmigaOS commentary on the AmigaOS forum.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@broadblues

You're right.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xeno
Quote:

Is it OK for you?

For me everything ok in any way :) I not against linuxes as it (i use them everyday for work, and for building all sort of ports for os4 or/and mos/aros/os3). And i (and onthers) no need x1000 or x10000000 for fast compiling, because there is much faster x86 with the same linuxes.

Just sometime when i go to some amiga forum and want to read amigaos topics, there is bunch of the same threads like "Kernel 3.13 out!" and so on and so on. Expectually with all that relation to x1000. Like such a big beast for 3-4k$ , is only done for unixes (and yep, for any outsider it looks like this when he go on hyperion's forum and there is all topics in active state about linux).

Dunno, but maybe just making it in some one thread or so, not many ? Like one thread in the sam500 forum, one thread in x1000 forums, and put all newses here, without making a new thread for every single kernel ported ? Even for os4 stuff we not making new threads all the time, but continue in some old ones.

Or maybe there should be just one new site, called "unixamigang.org" or something, and there and forums, and newses and all the stuff. Also make a link on hyperion's support forum with words "if you want unixes on amigang platforms, go on special site about". So amigans.net and hyperion's support forum (which is for aos4 by itself and for their games, right? ) will just have same os4 only stuff.

@Andy
Quote:

There maybe but they are not specific to our platforms, and likely will not have even heard of them.

I do not know anymore to be honest. I just know that if HW positioned as hw for amigaos, all should be about amigaos, and not about linuxes. And all the works spend on linuxes better spend on amigaos. As well as all that old story with old A1 when there was linux out before aos4, and ppls live on it.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked
(1) 2 3 »