Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Amigakits's wlan card
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/c ... ?cPath=32&products_id=158

There is a review wich says that it woun't work with WPA

Is it true? I've two A1200s wich does WPA just fine with latest prism.device.

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... driver/network/prism2.lha

This says it does WPA, can I use this with it?

Go to top
Re: Amigakits's wlan card
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I believe you need to buy the latest driver update directly from the author for WPA etc. to be supported. It used to only support WEP previously, but the driver was updated recently (a year or so ago?). This must be the driver version you have.

Edit: I may be remembering wrong about the "buy" part - from the description on OS4Depot it does look like it is freely available.

Edit 2: BTW, the review on AmigaKit is over four years old; back then, it did only support WEP.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I would assume AmigaKIT will have flashed the cards they sell to do WPA.

However, if you want to do it yourself with a netgear MA401, which can be picked for for a few Euros used, then see my guide here. (Post 54).

Once you have a Prism2 based card which is flahed to do WPA it can be used with the free prism2 device on aminet.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I would need a PCI card for my Sam. MA401 is PCMCIA

I haven't found any prism card on sale here in Finland

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Download the prism2 driver look at the supported card list, goto ebay and search.
What I did for my A1200.

Another driver free option for wireless that often gets over looked is to buy an ethernet to wireless bridge and stick it side your BigBox Amiga case, if you have room, that way you don't use a pci slot up or processor resources on the encryption.
I use a Belkin one in my PEG2 with the aerial poking out the back.

OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
That review from ChrisH is old, before the prism2 v2 device driver came out. I just submitted an updated review.

I have that card from AmiKit. You can update the firmware (1.7.4 works best) on a PC, then the latest prism2 driver will work with WPA, including WPA2-AES.

The v2 prism2.device is also free now.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Is there any change to have driver for a card wich I could buy from a shop? I mean not just a Amigakit? I remember that Neil Cafferkey has working other/newer chipsets also??

Currently I have my sam connected to D-Link access point. Problem is that I have two of them turned ON all the time and they don't like each others. If I want to print, I need to turn off and on D-link connected to my HP Laserjet. About a hour and they are shooted each others down, Sam or printer doesn't work until I reboot access points, until it happens again...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes

I purchased 2 of these cards before I moved up here to Christchurch because I knew I wouldn't be able to have cables lying all over the ground. I don't have a PC or similair to flash them so I ended up buying a range extender box with 4 ports in the back which is pretty good when it's not resetting itself

So now I'm left with too relatively expensive cards that I can't use, I did think of sending them to someone to flash, but who? LOL

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
They are labelled

NETPCI001
AmigaONE Wireless Card
Amigakit.com

one was for the X1000 and the other for the Flex

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Anyone know if the PCI card version for the AmigaOne has already got the firmwear on it to use the WPA/WPA2 capability of Prism v2.4. I have raised a support ticket with Amigakit and as yet have not had a reply.

FYI

Had answer from Mathew at Amigakit, stated that it will need flashing with the latest firmware.

Edited by clint on 2013/5/25 21:41:21
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
ummm

we already knew that, I have 2 of them remember =)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Slayer

Quote-
So now I'm left with too relatively expensive cards that I can't use, I did think of sending them to someone to flash, but who? LOL

After further contact with Mathew, he stated he will look at what he needs to do and will probably be able to offer a re-flashing service.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Documentation on how to do the flashing on a *Windows* PC is remarkably poor (or at least was when I looked into it a year or so ago), as mostly it is aimed at Linux users. However, it is possible, although IIRC I needed a hint or two from Chris Young.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I can't update card bios :( I don't have PC wich would have PCI slot.

So it would be useless to me :(

We really need WLAN driver for newer chipset, than prisim2

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
ChrisH wrote:
Documentation on how to do the flashing on a *Windows* PC is remarkably poor (or at least was when I looked into it a year or so ago), as mostly it is aimed at Linux users.
I don't suppose it would be possible to do under Linux PPC on e.g. an A1, Sam or X1000, would it?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

nbache wrote:
I don't suppose it would be possible to do under Linux PPC on e.g. an A1, Sam or X1000, would it?

Best regards,

Niels

I did think about that too

I thought about using the latest X1000 Linux live distribution but I think it would need to be modified with the necessary bits and pieces otherwise installation would probably be required since I doubt it could be done from ram?

Maybe if we had the Amiga software we could even use the Prometheus?

Edited by Slayer on 2013/5/27 4:16:07
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@clint

I can have a go at flashing them for you. PM if your interested. I've had success with PCMCIA Cards and the principle is the same. If it can't be done I'll post them back with the current firmware.

OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Jurassicc

Quote:-
I can have a go at flashing them for you. PM if your interested. I've had success with PCMCIA Cards and the principle is the same. If it can't be done I'll post them back with the current firmware.

You mention you have done PCMCIA cards, my card is the PCI one for my A1XE, have had any experience with flashing a PCI card on these?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@nbache

I considered that but decided it wouldn't work or would at least be more hassle than using Windows.

The thing that tripped me up with reflashing was finding the Windows driver for a ten-year-old PCI wireless card. Beyond that it worked perfectly and was quite straightforward if you follow the instructions to the letter (the reflashing program is, to put it kindly, not exactly intuitive). Note you need to use XP because of the requirement to have the drivers installed and working.

I use v1.8.2 which works absolutely flawlessly. Others insist on using v1.7.4 but have never provided any hard evidence as to why it is better. Definitely avoid v1.8.4 though. Always flash primary and secondary firmware at the same time.

The site with all the details is here: http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@clint

No but the the process is the same:

Stick in Windows XP PC
Install Windows XP Driver for the PCI Card
Run Winflash
If it detects the card, read current firmware revision