Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

Georg, VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
help with amigaone g3-se
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
hello, I have been always late with Amiga! The first A500 I bought it on 1988, and all the expansions, upgrades etc. I always bought them after years they where out.
One year ago I had the occasion to buy a AmigaOne G3-SE board from Amiga center in France. 150 euros shipping included.
I had a bit of problems having it to work properly, but in the end, now, I have it working with Radeon 9200 256MB, SB Live!, Nec USB PCI board, SiI 3112 SATA PCI, and RTL8139 lan board, os4.1.1.
I have recently added the 3112 because I had not enough PCI slots to put all on, so I wanted to use the on-board Lan card.
It has never worked, since I used the on-board IDE interface, so I plugged in the rtl8139 and it was OK, but now, with the SATA 3112, I hoped I could use the onboard lan.
No way, still, after I have set a lan interface with static ip address (dhcp is ghosted), it says it cannot find the device (eth3com.device). Am I to think the on-board lan interface is faulty?
thanx in advance for any advice.
regards
merry xmas

Go to top
Re: help with amigaone g3-se
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Well the SE, is worst of Eyetech models, it has number of issues, if you find a configuration that works for you you should keep it that way.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@satiropan

I've been using Sii0680 card and onboard network on my SE all the time. Check you have eth3com.device in sys:Devs/Networks (= DEVS:Networks) directory !? If you don't have it then copy it from the installation CD. If you have it there then we have to try something else.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
yes, the eth3com.device is in the appropriate drawer, in fact I load it in the internet prefs.
when I load it, I see that the dhcp check box is ghosted, so I have to put a static address.
up to now I have been using the rtl8139 and it has dhcp available (notghosted) and it works flawlessly. but I wanted to install the SiI 3112 to free the ide bus, since I know that onboard ide bus and onboard lan don't work together. (I have to keep a PCI slot free for the USB Nec card, since the onboard USB doesn't work) But, as I said, even with the on-board ide disabled and empty, the SiI3112 inserted and perfectly working, the on-board lan always says it can't find the device.
Apart from this, in the internet prefs program, there is a route tab, where it asks the target and the gateway. OK for the gateway, I know what it means, but which IP address should I put in target? the gateway or the amiga IP? and should it be setted as automatic or host?
thanx

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
satiropan wrote:

Apart from this, in the internet prefs program, there is a route tab, where it asks the target and the gateway. OK for the gateway, I know what it means, but which IP address should I put in target? the gateway or the amiga IP? and should it be setted as automatic or host?
Unless you have a very special network setup, you probably shouldn't add any routes on the route tab, but merely fill in the Standard Gateway field at the bottom with your router's IP address. The router should then take care of the route further out.

The routes at the top are meant as additional routes with separate gateways, something you most likely don't have.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
it seem the only place to put the gateway address is in the routing tab, but if I set the gateway address, then it asks me also the target address. anyway today I will do more tests
thanx

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
For a basic check to see if eth3com.device can be opened, download SanaUtil from Aminet, and run it in a shell as follows:

SANAUtil DEVICE eth3com.device STATUS

BTW, I thought that the A1-SE couldn't use USB cards, or is that only the XE?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
it's the g3-se, the NEC USB card works OK, while the onboard usb has problems. it's a pity it has only 3 pci slots :(
narrow minded developers!
of course the xe users have audio on board, while I have not, so I need the on board eth to work!
I'll do the check you say
thanx

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@satiropan

Hi, you could always start again from scratch.
Goto SYS:prefs/internet delete your existing ETH3COM interface (and the rtl8139 if it's still there), then goto SYS:Internet/New Connection and use the "Wizard" to create a new ETH3COM interface, I usually select "Manual Configuration" on the next page.
Regards Draby

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
no way, the sanautil says it can't find the device :( I am afraid it's the mother board that's faulty.
actually,when the amigaone starts, in the first lines on the screen, where it says it has found usb controller etc, it says 'no ethernet card found'

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
satiropan wrote:
it seem the only place to put the gateway address is in the routing tab, but if I set the gateway address, then it asks me also the target address.
Do not press the "New" button. Just enter your default gateway address (your router's IP address) into the Default gateway address field at the very bottom of the page, nothing else.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
thanx, no problem with the rtl3189, I do automatic setting and it works OK, it's the onboard that doesn't work, it keeps saying it can't find the device. I will try with a different version of the eth3com.device just in case...the one I'm using now is from os4.1.1. in few days I should receive an original os4.1 with registration number, so I will be able to download all the updates, but still I'm afraid it's the motherboard lan chip which is faulty
I have seen there is even a eth thru usb driver, I will try whether I can use a USB lan adapter, all just to have the PCI slots used with the important boards (SB Live!, SiI3112, Nec USB)

Edited by satiropan on 2012/12/29 18:14:04
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@liveforit

Hey hey. The SE ain't that bad as all says. Remember i've had one. Worked nicely if you're aware of the certain issues. Else its a nice machine.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
of course the xe users have audio on board, while I have not,

Yes but not every one have all the chips to get audio out of it, one of chips where removed because they head some problems getting it to work.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

Basically the SE had similar problems to XE, but much more serious problems.

* Horribly picky on RAM (more so on SE then XE).
* USB (None working on SE, Missing pull down resistors on XE problems detecting if you plugged devices in or out.).
* DMA not working on internal PATA connectors (Fixable on XE not on SE.).
* Battery issue.
* I belive there are issues whit some of PCI ports.

The SE should never have made it to market, XE should have been tested more before it was sold, even the MicroAmigaONE (last model from eyetech (Mai Logic) ) has issues, none of Eyetech products are great products.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Liveforit

Hold on cowboy. With a sata card,usb and eoundcard the machine works nicely. had no more problems with the battery on the SE than with the XE. But yes, the a1's could have been tested and fixed more. But this is all history now.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique +1
@LiveForIt

G3SE OS4.1-U6
1Gb ram: Original Kingston ram + Crucial ram.
2 Hard drives + 2 Optical drives connected to internal ide (DMA4),
ide driver courtesy of Stephane Guillard.
USB using generic pci card.
All pci slots functional.
Your impression of the SE in 2012 seems to be a few steps behind reality.

Regards Draby

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Draby

Well you can enable DMA but you are likely get every thing from disk corruption to bad audio, I do not advice you to enable it on internal PATA connectors, if only use it for CDROM's then it less likely to be issue.

Well I helped some one at Amigaworld not long ago that, and what solved issue was move card from one PCI slot to another.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Draby and all the others (hello Draby, how are you? nice to meet you here too!)

AmigaOne G3-SE, 4.1.1 (waiting to update), u-boot 1.1.4
1GB Samsung M390S2858CT1-C7AQ0 HP 127008-041 PC133 168-P ECC Registered Memory, fully recognized
AGP Radeon 9200, 256MB DDR, working OK
SB Live!, OK
SiI3112, with new 160GB 2.5" HD, nicely fast
RTL3189, fully automaticly working
or
Nec USB 2.0 PCI card, fully working (with uhci driver disabled in kicklayout)
at the moment 80GB 3.5" IDE HD, master, and IDE DVD writer, slave, on primary IDE bus
whether or not I disable and disconnect all IDE bus, the on-board lan doesn't work, the wizard or the manual setting says it cannot find the device.
but
at cold boot, one of the first lines of text that appear on screen says: ethernet....not found
so this may be the root of the problem.....mumble ...mumble

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@Antique

Basically the SE had similar problems to XE, but much more serious problems.

* Horribly picky on RAM (more so on SE then XE).
* USB (None working on SE, Missing pull down resistors on XE problems detecting if you plugged devices in or out.).

Yep, this is annoying

Quote:

* DMA not working on internal PATA connectors (Fixable on XE not on SE.).

Wrong. The internal IDE ports work noticably better when they are set to UDMA, even if it is only UDMA0. PIO does not work reliably.(Fails to boot & R/W errors)

Quote:

* Battery issue.

Not that I'd noticed.

Quote:

* I belive there are issues whit some of PCI ports.

One of them. The 66mhz slot, which has the wrong connector on, and no DMA card will work when in it. Can be used for a graphics card I believe.

Quote:

The SE should never have made it to market, XE should have been tested more before it was sold, even the MicroAmigaONE (last model from eyetech (Mai Logic) ) has issues, none of Eyetech products are great products.

I think thats a little harsh. I've used a SE for 10 years, and as people have said, find a config that works and stick with it.

Regards
Darren

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »