Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

clint, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Installing OS4.1 on 500GB HD
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi there,
I'm trying actually to install my OS4.1 on a new disk.I went through all steps, create swap and system partition, but when it comes to format (either quick or normal) an error occurs (Disk full) so actually I'm not able to go furhter...
Or did i make a mistake somewhere and simply don't see it ?

Any idea (s)

thank you in advance

regards

cozypaul

Go to top
Re: Installing OS4.1 on 500GB HD
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
sorry guys I forgot to add, that I'm trying to install OS4.1 on sam440ep flex u-boot 1.3.1 ..

take care

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
update,
I spoke with Vesalia and a very nice guy told me, that I should create one partition with sfs smaller than 128GB and the rest for work + swap and atach sfs2.x and retry...
I guess actually it's good idea.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
And while you format, always do a quick format.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
SFS supports partitions upto 128Gb, use SFS2 or JXFS if you want bigger partitions but iirc you can't boot from JXFS

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
RE: SOLVED
yes, that was the rub actually, I created one sfs0 partition and another with sfs2 and everything went like on ice...

thank you for your answers..

take care

cozypaul

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I can't help you much, but tje most important you have a second hard disk as backup because the Sam 440 tryes the hard disk very bad.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

cozypaul wrote:
update,
I spoke with Vesalia and a very nice guy told me, that I should create one partition with sfs smaller than 128GB and the rest for work + swap and atach sfs2.x and retry...
I guess actually it's good idea.

You probably don't want to try this now that you have your system up and running but, I thought that it was possible to boot from SFS2 partitions.

Even if it is possible to boot from an SFS2 partition, I'd still recommend making at least two partitions; one for the OS and applications, and one for data (i.e., "Work:"). The OS+applications partition doesn't need to be that big; 128 GB is probably overkill. That way you can reinstall from scratch without losing your data if you want/need to. It's also a cleaner way to work.

Some people create a small partition for just the OS, install applications on a separate larger partition, and then have one or more extra partitions for data, and possibly even backup OS installs. This also has its advantages/disadvantages. Ultimately it depends on what works best for you, but I still see the value in having a separate system partition.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans:

Yes, you can boot from SFS\2 partitions.

Breaking up the disk into smaller partitions, each dedicated to a particular set of data, is good. Making duplicates of everything is essential (preferably on another disk drive).

Cramming everything onto the system partition is bad, no matter how big it is.

As an example of a minimal set of partitions:

2 GB: SWAP partition.
2 GB: System partition (OS only).
2 GB: System backup (OS only).
x GB: Programs (applications, games, etc) as big as you need.
x GB: Backup for Programs.
y GB: User data (email, correspondence, downloads, whatever). I use several partitions for this and another for photos.
y GB: Backup for user data.

Remainder: spare space (don't break it up into partitions until you need to).

etc...

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

tonyw wrote:

As an example of a minimal set of partitions:

2 GB: SWAP partition.
2 GB: System partition (OS only).
2 GB: System backup (OS only).
x GB: Programs (applications, games, etc) as big as you need.
x GB: Backup for Programs.
y GB: User data (email, correspondence, downloads, whatever). I use several partitions for this and another for photos.
y GB: Backup for user data.

Remainder: spare space (don't break it up into partitions until you need to).

etc...

Hi Tony,

is it just coincidence that SWAP is at the top (first partition on the HD?) or should it always be there?
(Just wondering, i have mine at the very last position (end of the HD).

And why should i leave out spare space and not configure it as (unused) partition? (Apart from the memory the OS is using up for buffers it shouldn't do anything bad, should it?)

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Raziel wrote:

is it just coincidence that SWAP is at the top (first partition on the HD?) or should it always be there?
(Just wondering, i have mine at the very last position (end of the HD).
It probably doesn't matter much these days, and especially not on AmigaOS, where the swap partition will probably only be actively used very rarely, but by putting the swap space as close as possible to the most busy partition on your drive, you minimize the movement of the reading arm and thus speed up the system (marginally).

But it will work fine to put it anywhere. Mine is somewhere just after the first (busiest) partitions.

Quote:
And why should i leave out spare space and not configure it as (unused) partition?
Because one day you are bound to be needing some space to quickly create a new partition for rescuing data off another one which has started to go bad. At that point you don't want to have to move around data on your existing partitions first to free up the space. And you don't necessarily know in advance how big you need that rescue partition to be.

BTW, that's another reason to limit the size on any one partition (and make more partitions instead): When you have to rescue the data on it by copying it elsewhere, you will appreciate it being smaller. 500 GB takes very long to copy, even on the fastest hardware and file system.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
The OS+applications partition doesn't need to be that big; 128 GB is probably overkill.

My OS partition is only 1GB!

IMHO it is a bad idea to install (3rd-party) programs into the OS's partition. At the very least it is a nightmare when you need to reformat & reinstall the OS (either due to a problem or a major OS update). I'd also not recommend it from the fact that:
2. It makes it much more likely the OS partition becomes corrupt (due to it getting more written changes).
3. It makes backing-up the OS partition (and getting a bootable system after disaster) much harder. In fact I could write my entire OS parition to a CD...
4. It could cause problems with my (not yet released) AmiSystemRestore.

If you only have an OS + a Work partition, then I'd expect both (3rd-party) programs & data to be stored on Work.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
4. It could cause problems with my (not yet released) AmiSystemRestore.

That's something that AmiSystemRestore needs to take into account. None of the other issues that you have outlined have ever been a problem for me, and I put my utilities/applications in their appropriate drawers on SYS. I prefer to do a clean install of OS plus applications instead of just the OS.

Quote:
If you only have an OS + a Work partition, then I'd expect both (3rd-party) programs & data to be stored on Work.

You should not make that assumption. Not everyone agrees with your partitioning philosophy. I don't like over-subdividing my hard-drive, and my work partition is for work (i.e., data) and not applications. You cannot demand/expect others to set up their computer the exact same way that you do. Let people set up their Workbench as they see fit.

While I personally think that 128 GB is unnecessarily large for a SYS partition, maybe it's appropriate for how someone else uses their machine.

EDIT: After writing this I noticed that the main SYS partition on my A1-X1000 is (gasp) 248 GB! The backup SYS partitions are a much more sane size. I guess that I was in a hurry when I originally set it up and just made it a quarter of the disk; a 1 TB disk. I could easily resize the partitions to a more sane size (there's plenty of space for temporary backups), but I can't be bothered right now.

Hans

Edited by Hans on 2012/5/14 22:33:44
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top

Register To Post