Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

walkero, imagodespira, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Fractal planet generator (fracplanet)
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Resized Image
Resized Image

I've added keyboard-controls to simulate the mouse, on ADWS. I will upload shortly.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There are no plans with this Voxel Engine whatsoever.

If someone is seriously interessted, I can provide the code, but better thant that, I can advice how to write this.
The code itself is not very helpful, without understanding what is going on.

It is not using any polygons or OpenGL. This is software rendered. I think it can be done on NG Amigas or WinUAE in acceptable speed at good quality.

The reflections are traced with the landscape upside-down, and are mixed with the blue-water-tinted ground of the water.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@chris
Nice work! Is it slow? Can you upload a video so we can see it? I dont have a amiga right now

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@wanderer

Have you any plan on some AmigaNG program?

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Joeled

It's quite slow at redrawing the planet. You can see the frame rate in the screenshots - the earlier ones are at "subdivisions=5" and run at about 5fps. The last screenshot I posted is subdivisions=7 and is showing 0.7fps. That's way too slow to try and fly around, but 5 subdivisions is acceptable (and I'm running a 600MHz SAM here, so results would be better for most people)

You can export to Blender too, but I haven't tried that.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
No plans explicitly for PPC.

--
Thilo K?hler, author of
HD-Rec, Sweeper, Samplemanager, ArTKanoid, Monkeyscript, Toadies, AsteroidsTR, TuiTED, PosTED, TKPlayer, AudioConverter, ScreenCam, PerlinFX, MapEdit, AB3 Includes and many more...
Homepage: http://www.hd-rec.de
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Blender support is interesting.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@wanderer

do you need OS4.x hardware or motivation?
If need hw I will support a bounty for taht!

If lack of motivation I'm sad... :(

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Tuxedo

Guess Thilo "wanderer" Köhler is far to bussy with different projects (HD-Rec, Amiblitz, NTUI (gui libraries/includes, A/A++,....). So I guess it is not motivation or lack of hardware. It is more a lack of time. But... to my knowledge Thilo (Wanderer) does work on PPC related stuff... His A/A++ progamming language + IDE can generate code for different platforms.
However I think Thilo is a very talented coder/engineer and it is a pitty that he does not focus on OS4.x related stuff. But as he does it all in his spare time, he is free to do so and to decide what to build/code.

I would, however lend him my SAM440, as a new machine will approach soon...

regard Gero

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I forgot to say, you can grab fracplanet from http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk now (but be aware of the bugs mentioned in the readme)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Tryed on my Peg2@1131,
really slow...I think because of the minigl implementation?
However nice to see.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@thread

For those that like me don't know A/A++ (Wanderer language), click here

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Wow, I had totally overlooked this thread, great stuff! I will try and look into the Qt problems you encounter!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

The "crash" at exit is because of bad coding. I get this a lot. The reason is, that the main_widget is not deleted before exit. You need to change it, either:

int ret app.exec();
delete main_widget;
return 
ret;

...or:

FracplanetMain main_widget(0,&app,opts,verbose);

main_widget.show()

(
etc...)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

I am trying to build fracplanet here on my Sam, but I'm confused about the boost dependancy: Did you just use the clib2 static version from os4depot, or do you have your own version lying about??

I think the problem with the mouse is, that QCursor::setPos() is not implemented (yet).

EDIT: Actually now we are at it: How does one set the Mouse position in a system compliant way?? Just modifying the screen->MouseX and MouseY doesn't seem to do the trick...

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

alfkil wrote:
I am trying to build fracplanet here on my Sam, but I'm confused about the boost dependancy: Did you just use the clib2 static version from os4depot, or do you have your own version lying about??

I have a minimal version containing only the bare minimum for fracplanet to compile. I'll send you a copy when I get home.

Quote:

I think the problem with the mouse is, that QCursor::setPos() is not implemented (yet).

EDIT: Actually now we are at it: How does one set the Mouse position in a system compliant way?? Just modifying the screen->MouseX and MouseY doesn't seem to do the trick...

The only way I know, is you can "lock" the mouse to a particular area. If that area is only 1x1 pixels in size the mouse will move there (I'm not sure if the mouse has to move once before it gets repositioned). The tag is specified in the OpenWindow document, you need to assert it every n IntuiTicks if you want the mouse to stay trapped. For moving you can probably specify the area and tell it to stay for the minimum (1 IntuiTick). If it repositions immediately that should effectively just perform a move.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
The "crash" at exit is because of bad coding. I get this a lot. The reason is, that the main_widget is not deleted before exit. You need to change it, either:

I thought it would be something like that, but I couldn't find the exit routine anywhere! I suppose that might account for it not deleting its widget though.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The thing is this: Top level widgets (those shown on screen) needs to be deleted by the app. This usually takes place, when the QWidget goes out of scope like this:

int main(bla)
{
QApplication app(bla);
SomeWidget widget;
widget.show();
return app.exec(); // widget gets automatically deleted when function returns
}

All child widgets will get deleted with the parent, which is why the children needs to be allocated with code of type:

SomeChild *child = new SomeChild(parent);

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Hmm, that's pretty much what it is doing:

int main(int argc,charargv[])
{

QApplication app(argc,argv);

FracplanetMain*const main_widget=new FracplanetMain(0,&app,opts,verbose);

main_widget->show();

main_widget->regenerate();

return 
app.exec();
}

Is the fact it is using new to create the widget a problem, perhaps? So it needs a manual delete main_widget? (I think delete is right, my C++ knowledge is appalling)

Looks like it is relying on garbage collection to destroy this...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Is the fact it is using new to create the widget a problem, perhaps? So it needs a manual delete main_widget? (I think delete is right, my C++ knowledge is appalling)

Yes exactly! When creating a new object with "new", the object will not get deleted when the variable goes out of scope. This type of code is stupidly relying on the system to automatically clean up the resources, which works fine on Windows and other systems with automatic resources tracking, but not on Amiga. Amiga needs clean code!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)