Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
174 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Office suite for OS4
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
OS4 has 2 modern web browsers and if it could get Office suite WITH support of MS/Open office documents, it would in theory be ready for basic use in mainstream.

If you haven't noticed KOffice apps looks quite nice, ofcourse as apps ;) but anyway

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Joeled

At the moment, I'm not overly eager to take up another bounty. Completing a bounty like this is a LOT of work, and at the moment I am more in the mood of playing around with different things than to produce some grand product. But then again, I might just try and look at it. First, though, I want to fix some general problems with Qt and maybe implement the rest of the missing stuff on Chris' list.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Alfkil

Are these kind of projects allways hand of one man? If you try to compile it, could it happend that several people could get involved?

Usually IF there is any results and they are shared to others (community), others start solve problems. At least in real world, but maybe not in amiga community?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@utri007

The problem for the Amiga community is, that we are so small, and there are only that many developers, who are all deeply involved with their own projects. When I started the Qt bounty I was asking for help from others, but only got the reply, that everyone was busy as hell with their own stuff.

As much as I would love to give amigans a proper office suite, I need to take a few steps before embarging at something that complicated.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@alfkill
I understand that its a big task esp after you finishing qt-bounty. I just want you to take a look at it and tell us if its possible and how much work it wild take.

Thanks for all the hard work!!!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I don't want you to do anything that you don't want to do, but I would like to kindly ask your opinion about it. I would like to know how much work it would be? Is it worth of little promotion?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@utri007

Building the dependencies would be the best place to start. Anybody can try and do that, but I suspect the KDE libraries will cause problems that Alfkil might need to fix in Qt (or at the very least, will depend on functionality we don't yet have). Having a go and posting the errors on the forum is better than waiting for somebody else to build them.

My experience of Qt ports so far is that they generally fail due to things missing in our port of Qt, rather than anything odd. Sometimes you can comment out the offending code (I use #ifndef __amigaos4__) but it depends how deeply it is embedded.

Spot's Porting For Dummies is worth a read to get you started, although it doesn't mention Qt the basics still apply.

Start with the easy libraries first and work your way up to the KDE libs. Even if you give up after a couple, it saves others time later.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The development cycle would go something like this:

* Progress baseline QT as much as possible
* Finish/Wait for OpenGL
* Update QT to take full advantage of OpenGL when it arrives
* During the next 6 months (assuming 4.2 arrives early Spring 2012) work on porting as many dependencies as possible
* Rework dependencies to take advantage of whatever is new in 4.2 and updated QT
* Start porting KOffice in earnest

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki Quote:
* Finish/Wait for OpenGL
* Update QT to take full advantage of OpenGL when it arrives

Why stop development while waiting for Gallium3D+Mesa? With MiniGL things only run slower (due to lack of h/w accelerated rendering), and so development can still be done, even if the end-result won't be usable for everyday tasks until Gallium3D+Mesa.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
However, from enduser perspective it will be vital, that all Qt ports are usable on slow SAM440 Systems for serious work. The spreadsheet example inside Qt Package for example is unusable for longer tables/serious work. The scrollspeed and "handling" speed is to slow. Hope it will be a lot better with Gallium etc. If not, I donnot see much advantage* in using Qt based apps over e.g. Debian for SAM or AmiCygnix.

*besides native menus and filerequesters, which is really good, as it makes Qt faster and more "Amiga compliant".

So, I would suggest porting apps which donnot heavily rely on graphic/GUI speed.

However, still very very good that coders start developing for Qt and that we have it !!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)