Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SAM 440ep mini itx questions
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi,

I need to put my SAM440ep back on track and I need some answers please.

Can it be upgraded to 1GB?

I thought it was based on this:

https://myapm.apm.com/MyAMCC/jsp/publi ... il.jsp?productID=PPC440EP

which tells me up to 1GB...?

Which is the latest UBoot that needs to be used?

I have got OS4. Do I install it and then apply the 3 updates?

Which is the best file system configuration to use?

Which is the fastest and with most memory PCI graphics card to use or shall I stick with the onboard one?

I have got a SATA DVD-RW, can I use the remaining three ports for three HDs? I am thinking one SSD and two HDs.

Anything else?

Thank you!

Go to top
Re: SAM 440ep mini itx questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I don't think it can be upgraded, without directly soldering the RAM chips to the board? Maybe someone else knows better.

The latest UBoot can be downloaded from ACube:
http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=1
(scroll down to the bottom, and click on "UBoot 1.3.1d 15-Feb-2011 updater ISO")

I would advise NOT installing from the original OS4.1 CD, as Update 1 will entirely replace it. Instead download AmigaOS4.1 Update 1, burn that ISO to a CD (enable Verification aka Error Checking if possible), and then install from that. THEN install Update 2, followed by Update 3.

Not sure what "file system configuration is". But I suggest SFS with 512 byte block size. JXFS should also be OK, except for the boot partition(s). Stay away from FFS, but make sure you do backups, as only FFS has repair tools (the others only have file recovery tools).

Stick with the on-board graphics chip, as a Radeon 9250 won't be noticably faster (it might actually be slower), and supposedly 3D won't work with such a PCI card.

YEah, you should be able to use all SATA ports for HDs, although I've never tried. Why bother when HDs are so large these days?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have the rev-C SamEP667Mhz.

It features one bank of RAM and I have installed 512MB on it. The ram module is DIMM 100 pins. There aren't any 1GB AFAIK. So, unless you can solder another 512MB there isn't any other way.

Regarding OS4, I would suggest to go for a clean install: Download AmigaOS4.1 update 1, unpack/burn the iso on a cd, format the HD, install Update 1, install update 2, install update 3, then run AmiUpdate so as to have any possible core components as much up to date.

As for GFX, 9250 comes with doubled the GFX amount (128MBvs64MB on board), however, it will be noticeably slower (e.g on 3D games) since the on-board run on 66Mhz, while the PCI on 33MHz.

You can have your SATA ports fully populated, as you mentioned.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I don't think it can be upgraded, without directly soldering the RAM chips to the board? Maybe someone else knows better.

I was wondering what happens if you replace the 512MB memory stick with a 1GB one...

The latest UBoot can be downloaded from ACube:
http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=1
(scroll down to the bottom, and click on "UBoot 1.3.1d 15-Feb-2011 updater ISO")

Thanks!

I would advise NOT installing from the original OS4.1 CD, as Update 1 will entirely replace it. Instead download AmigaOS4.1 Update 1, burn that ISO to a CD (enable Verification aka Error Checking if possible), and then install from that. THEN install Update 2, followed by Update 3.

Cool, I didn't know that, so don't bother with the OS4.1 CD and just download update 1 burn to ISO, then 2 and 3.

Not sure what "file system configuration is". But I suggest SFS with 512 byte block size. JXFS should also be OK, except for the boot partition(s). Stay away from FFS, but make sure you do backups, as only FFS has repair tools (the others only have file recovery tools).

I meant file system, which is the one to use? So it looks like SFS with 512 byte block size for Workbench (bootable) and JXFS for the rest like Work etc...over on amigaworld.net someone said SF2?

Does this apply to OS4.1 on all the OS4.1 compatible machines? SAM440 800MHz, 460ex etc...? Why haven't SFS and JXFS got repair tools?

Stick with the on-board graphics chip, as a Radeon 9250 won't be noticably faster (it might actually be slower), and supposedly 3D won't work with such a PCI card.

That is a shame...so is it better to have a 440 800MHz or SAM 460ex then?

YEah, you should be able to use all SATA ports for HDs, although I've never tried. Why bother when HDs are so large these days?

I was thinking of having a SSD/HD for Workbench and then other HDs for other stuff like back ups, photos, docs, games etc...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thanks for the info.

So if you put 1GB the SAM will only recognise 512MB?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN Quote:
As for GFX, 9250 comes with doubled the GFX amount (128MBvs64MB on board), however, it will be noticeably slower (e.g on 3D games) since the on-board run on 66Mhz, while the PCI on 33MHz.

So 3D does actually work with a Radeon 9250 installed in a Sam440 that already has a built-in graphics chip? Someone claimed that ACube told them this wouldn't work...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I am now confused!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
Thanks for the info.

So if you put 1GB the SAM will only recognise 512MB?

Have you found a compatible SamEp440 1GB Ram module?

It isn't a module that you can find in every store, it has a special interface (DDR DIMM 100 slot aka laptop like).

Anyway, found out that SamEp440 has a 512 max limit (see right side "Technical Specs" http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=1 ), though it may be doable to solder more on it.

EDIT: Here, check this page : http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=6 the maximum offered is 512MB (just like the Flex edition, same RAM type).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Quote:
Cool, I didn't know that, so don't bother with the OS4.1 CD and just download update 1 burn to ISO, then 2 and 3.
But keep the original 4.1 CD close, you will need to insert it during installation of update 1 for verification, AFAIR.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'm pretty sure I've always used SFS2 not the little brother SFS. So SFS2 for the boot partition (which incidently was always around 10gigs but was the first partition at the start of the harddrive) JFX4 for all other partitions and this included extra harddrives that were just one partition the entire harddrive, 500g and 1TB. Your SWAP partition (if you choose to have one, I never did) is of course another kettle of finish, follow the instructions in the OS4 manual.

SFS2 also provides the added benefit of Large File Support, software is scrambling to catch up but at least it IS catching up

SFS2 is also Rock Solid.

Search this forum or http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/ for other posts on how to activate DMA and associated tweaks for your attached SATA drives.

I've always had all my SATA slots filled so no problems there,

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
You cannot use SFS2 for your boot partition (AFAIR).

I would also suggest only using SFS2 for very large partitions that SFS1 cannot handle (probably something like 500GB or larger), since SFS2 cannot be Checked for errors nor Defragmented. It CAN still have it's files Salvaged to a different partition though.

(Actually, I have a 68k shell command which does defrag SFS2, but I'm not sure if it is supposed to work, even though it *appears* to be fine. Can't see why else defragging would be disabled in the official OS4 tools.)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
You cannot use SFS2 for your boot partition (AFAIR).
Yes you can, it was added in slb_v2 back in 2008 and should also be in the latest one present on the Sam440ep installation CD.

But I agree in your other points for not actually doing it.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TheDaddy

Can you take out the ram module? Cos i think it's soldered onboard and can not be replaced. I'm not sure but i think the first boards had a ram slot, but that it was replaced with the soldered ram module.

And the pci slot is slow for gfx card. Maybe it can be as fast or maybe a bit faster with a radeonhd card when hans has finished the drivers and galium is finished. I don't know really.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
The memory module on my SAM440ep is a memory stick, which means I can remove it.

On it there is a sticker and it says:
TS512MHP2628
Transcend

It has two notches.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I believe the SAM44-ep uses memory for printers...I might be wrong.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The Daddy : it's indeed the case and the max I could find is 512MB.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top

Register To Post