Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Removing A1G3SE CPU Fan
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
After 9(? Is it realy 9) years, the fan on my A1G3SE CPU is finaly on it's last legs. I want to remove it, and possibly find a replacement, but I'm not sure how it's attached and don't want to remove it and my CPU at the same time!

Does anyone have experience removing these?

Regards
Darren

Go to top
Re: Removing A1G3SE CPU Fan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
What sort of fan is it? There were several types used over the years.

A photo would help.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

tonyw wrote:
What sort of fan is it? There were several types used over the years.

A photo would help.

It's the little one Eyetech fitted when it was made, I don't have a photo handy, by Dirk-B (here on Amigans) has a picture of the same fan on his machine as his Avatar. Hope that helps.

Regards
Darren

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Just the small fan with some metal and screws in each corner? If so then i assume you can just unscrew and lift it off. Never tried myself so just guessing.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Daz:

Yes, I see the picture. Sorry, I've never seen one of those in the flesh, so I can't offer any help.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I think it uses spring loaded push pins to secure the fan. Pushing them in will release pretty easily if I remember correctly.

Search for northbridge coolers when looking for a replacement. Get something a bit before with a separate fan rather then the integrated type you have, that way if the fan fails you don't have to replace the whole thing.

I assume it's a lot less hassle with an SE since you don't have to remove the CPU module if your cooler bolts to the board.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Rob wrote:
I think it uses spring loaded push pins to secure the fan. Pushing them in will release pretty easily if I remember correctly.

Not on mine, hence asking for assistance. It appears to be stuck to the top of the CPU, and is slightly bigger as well, making it difficult to get between cpu/heatsink.

Intuitionbase has a couple of pics in its A1G3SE section, one with fan, one without.

Quote:

Search for northbridge coolers when looking for a replacement. Get something a bit before with a separate fan rather then the integrated type you have, that way if the fan fails you don't have to replace the whole thing.

Already found an excellent replacement:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xilence-Chipset ... 5d2d843d07#ht_1619wt_1094

Even has the right type of connector to fit the motherboard!

Quote:

I assume it's a lot less hassle with an SE since you don't have to remove the CPU module if your cooler bolts to the board.

At the moment The Fan is so well attached I can see the CPU comming with it leaving me with a dead board. Will be better when I can get the new one fitted, but it is looking more and more like this will be job for a professional.
Regards
Darren

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Maybe it is attached with some double sided tape?

We could ask AmigaKit, he could get this info maybe
from someone that was working at Eyetech.

Click on the image for a view of 800 pix width.

Resized Image

Edited by Dirk-B on 2011/5/7 7:00:44
Edited by Dirk-B on 2011/5/7 7:03:19
Edited by Dirk-B on 2011/5/7 7:04:20
Edited by Dirk-B on 2011/5/7 7:22:09
Edited by Dirk-B on 2011/5/7 7:28:03
Edited by Dirk-B on 2011/5/7 7:28:35
Edited by Dirk-B on 2011/5/7 7:29:51
A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Daz

I don't have an SE, but looking at the picture, I'd guess you would need to pull the mother bd to replace the fan, as it might be bolted to the bd.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top

Register To Post