Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
X500 PLUS prototype stage
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi everyone,

Resized Image

This is prototype 4 (or 5...don't remember anymore!)...

Anyway, it's a fully working prototype.

I have tried to keep it a simple, original design, with clean, modern lines.

Please register your interest by emailing me:

amigarulez@hotmail.com

I need to finish off a few things, get it anodised in either black or white and then it should be ready within...TWO WEEKS!

These are hand built so only a few will be made, again first come first served.

Price: I haven't got a clue yet, I have worked on this on and off for years, and a lot of time, money, prototypes and effort has gone into it, will let you know as soon as possible. The first few will probably be made at a loss.

It's entirely made out of brushed aluminium, will be anodised in black or white.

It's very, very light!

I am thinking of including a slim DVD-RW (Bluray on request) SATA maybe a picoPSU 160W with it but it all depends if I can get them in numbers...

Tested with x86 miniITX and flex boards (not all of them!) and with SAM 440ep, 440Flex and 460ex.

The keyboard is a full size, low profile one and will have empty (black) "Windows keys" (basically no Windows logo) so you can put whatever you like.

Possibility of localised keyboard.

For AmigaOS users I am planning to get the two A silk screened on them, this will depend on cost and I'll keep you informed.

The lettering on the case (X500 PLUS, NUM LOCK, CAPS LOCK and SCROLL LOCK should also be silk screened, i.e. no stickers.)

Well...enjoy the photos and thank you for your support.

http://loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/w ... the_x500_plus_project.htm

Edited by TheDaddy on 2011/5/2 20:59:19
Edited by TheDaddy on 2011/5/2 21:17:36
Edited by TheDaddy on 2011/5/2 21:19:03
Edited by TheDaddy on 2011/5/3 7:24:25
Go to top
Re: X500 PLUS prototype stage
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Looking Nice, I personally would keep the USB ports, if people want a card reader they are cheap enough to buy, so even having one plugged in all the time would still leave a USB port free.

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thanks AJS,

One of the most helpful comments/emails I have received today!
You are perfectly right, thank you!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TheDaddy
You really should include a picture in the main post, to grab people's attention:
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

P.S. Where are the ventilation slots?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi Chris,

Ventilation slots are on the right hand side, I am not sure if you can see them.

The "X500 PLUS" name on the right hand side are the cut outs, laser cut through the aluminium

I am thinking of adding more, at the moment there are some slots underneath where the graphics card sits.

Tested the 440ep, 440Flex and 460ex and the heat inside was minimal, I suppose it might also be down to the body being completely made out of aluminium.

There are no slots on the top like on the Amiga 500/1200 to stop coffee/coke spillages.

Thanks

PS: Added photo, thanks

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
There are no slots on the top like on the Amiga 500/1200 to stop coffee/coke spillages.

That was an annoying "feature" of the A500 & A1200! So good job there.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Just a quick update:

Changed the round nose (towards the end of the keyboard) for a corner one, because of production costs but, to me, it looks even better, following the clean lines of the rest, it also makes the case slightly shorter.

On top of this Amiganews.it member Alblino has already started modifying the X500 PLUS and give a representation of possible colours, have a look at the white version:

[img align=left width=300]http://amiga.ikirsector.it/forum/download/file.php?id=112&mode=view/X500Plus_bianca.jpg[/img]

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Just so that it's clear:

Over at amiga.org I replied to someone who kept saying to put the UNIVAC logo on the case by saying: "No, but I can put an Amiga logo on it..."

I have just been contacted by Barry of CommodoreUSA who is reminding me that the Amiga name and logo are licensed to CommodoreUSA.

So I want it to make it clear that if something requires permission, permission will be asked.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
A black rendition:

X500 PLUS in black

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TheDaddy

Those mockup pics looks cool !

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TheDaddy Quote:
I have just been contacted by Barry of CommodoreUSA who is reminding me that the Amiga name and logo are licensed to CommodoreUSA.

Don't forget that Hyperion have an "exclusive, perpetual, worldwide and royalty-free, transferable right and license" to the Boing Ball logo mark "for the purposes of ... making available ... any hardware ... desired to operate with AmigaOS 4", and that "for the avoidance of doubt with respect to the exclusive nature of the license granted ... Amiga ... shall ... not have any right to use, commercialize or license [them] ... in any way anywhere in the world".

I read that as saying that Hyperion effectively owns the Boing Ball logo mark, and that Amiga cannot use it themselves nor license it to anyone else. Therefore CommodoreUSA cannot have rights to the BoingBall (but the "Amiga" logo is a different matter, of course.)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Chris,

I really don't know what to make of it.
CUSA contacted me regarding a possible collaboration and interest in my design a few months back.

Now an email regarding Amiga and its logos and the fact that they will have to defend their rights.

The thing is I have not used the Amiga name nor the multicolourd thick...so I find it a strange behaviour.

I have emailed them as they wanted to see the design.

The weird world of Amiga...

Chris would you be so kind to put the black on up as a pic I can only manage a link...d'oh! Thanks!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Oh I do like the black one.

Mike

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TheDaddy
I would stay as far away from CUSA as possible: I guess they want to use your design, if they can get it cheap, or otherwise copy your design if they can't (surely someone in China can do a cheap knock-off copy...).

What-ever you do, don't send them any CAD schematics (not without a contract first being signed). If you unwisely do consider signing a contract with them to manufacture it or to use the Amiga logo/name, get a lawyer to check the contract as I can imagine they might pull some nasty tricks.

IMHO you'd be better talking to ACube or Hyperion or AEon or even Individual Computers, as they MIGHT have some interest in using your design, and I'd at least trust them to have honest intentions.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
ohh the black is really great..

Alien Air Attack

SAM440@733 mhz as main amiga.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I agree completely with Chris. My opinion is to stay completely away from both Amiga Inc., and Commodore USA.

From my personal observance, I've seen similar behaviors from both of them. They seem to care most about attracting investor and licensing funds, and can get paid when everyone else in their deals lose money. So I hope you don't become a victim or become someone they can use during an ill intentioned agenda.

Also, I found it very odd when I uploaded Amiga videos to Youtube. Some people started spamming CommodoreUSA advertisements in the comments section, and some of those same spam accounts also posted hate messages against other Amiga products.

In contrast, the companies that Chris mentioned have a reputation of successful focus on their products and services. So I would definitely pursue an agreement with one of them instead.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Loriano
As ChrisH said, DON'T send them NOR show them cad design's.

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@yssing and EvilDrMike

>>ohh the black is really great..

Yes it looks like it will indeed be black, at least the first batch, unless the finish betrays me!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@logicalheart, ChrisH and DAX

I am confused by the approach.

>>Also, I found it very odd when I uploaded Amiga videos to Youtube. Some people started spamming CommodoreUSA advertisements in the comments section, and some of those same spam accounts also posted hate messages against other Amiga products.

This is something I have been discussing on another forum regarding another product.

Apparently there are people named "seeders".

I read an article about one of these self-confessed "seeders" who decided to come clean. Basically she explained how some people are employed to work from home and all they have to do is disseminate, even in a not so transparent manner, advertising and spam, called infiltration marketing on any kind of forum.

Now I don't know if this is what happened to you or if it's just a case of fanboysm...

Edited by TheDaddy on 2011/5/11 12:30:37
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Yeah no wonder who wouldn't? (be confused I mean)

But these guys are shady at best, IMHO they are just interested in stealing an idea or two, and stop something that could steal their thunder in case it ends up being produced together with a commercial partner of sorts.

If you ask me the last time I checked a keyboard (all in one) Amiga it was using AmigaOS, so that's where these cases belong

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »