Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

skynet, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Creating an AmigaOS4 library
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Can anyone recommend some example source code that shows how to create an AmigaOS4 library?

And is there any documentation about doing it?

(currently searching myself)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Creating an AmigaOS4 library
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Check the Libraries & Devices PDF in the SDK

sdk:Documentation/Developer Info/General/

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues
Doh. Thanks!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

What I'm dreaming of is a tool being able to load a set of .h files, let select some functions out of them and then would generate a corresponding xml file for idltool. This would greatly ease the conversion of unix libraries to Amiga shared librairies.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues
The PDF says "The file exec_sg/src/exec/testlib.c implements an example OS 4 library which exports several interfaces." HOWEVER, I can't find the "testlib.c" file. Can you help?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Unless you have access to the sources of ExecSG I don't think you will find this file.
What are you looking for exactly maybe I can help you ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@abalaban
A (skeleton) example of an OS4 library.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

You can generate a skeleton projects using files from SDK:includes/interfaces/*.xml and passing them to idltool (with -a option IIRC, but can't check right now) it will give you a set of files ready to be compiled to generate the library (even the makefile is here IIRC).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

Thanks for that tip.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

Can anyone recommend some example source code that shows how to create an AmigaOS4 library?

Some well-commented examples and tutorials on making dockies and datatypes would be most helpful as well.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Of course this will only generate the skeleton not the real library.
The advantage of IDLTool is that you only have to implement bodies of the library functions everything else is already done.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

On Windows I think they have such a program for creating DLLs.

Going one step further, if AmigaOS follows the

document/view architecture, porting can be easier using similar stategy.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-mfc/

I never did understand why creating libraries was so lacking documentation / beginners guide / tutorials.

Just look at Amiblitz 3 it has hundreds od addon modules ! to assist programming.

Problem with Amiblitz3 is that its written in assembler, so porting to PPC would be very difficult.

We need a UNIVERSAL AMIGA Assembly language that uses XML to port to different CPUS.

This way we can use C -> UAA -> ppc/68k/??

PPC/68k asm -> UAA -> C conversion

tools to exist on windows :
http://www.mpsinc.com/asm68k2c.html

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@angelheart

Quote:

angelheart wrote:

We need a UNIVERSAL AMIGA Assembly language that uses XML to port to different CPUS.

This way we can use C -> UAA -> ppc/68k/??

PPC/68k asm -> UAA -> C conversion

tools to exist on windows :
http://www.mpsinc.com/asm68k2c.html

See also http://www.libcpu.org/ for translating assembly to LLVM Bitcode. The AROS team has already got a bounty going for an LLVM backend to produce machine language for AROS x86 and other backends are sure to follow. Perhaps somebody would be willing to produce an LLVM backend for OS 4 on the PPC based on the PPC Linux backend on the LLVM archives.

As far as being universal, we'll need some universal runtime libraries as well. This brings us back to the subject.

Would it, by the way, be possible for IDLTool to generate extern directives for each function so that an automated build script could link code to the library skeleton instead of creating an empty one?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Samurai_Crow

Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
See also http://www.libcpu.org/ for translating assembly to LLVM Bitcode. The AROS team has already got a bounty going for an LLVM backend to produce machine language for AROS x86 and other backends are sure to follow. Perhaps somebody would be willing to produce an LLVM backend for OS 4 on the PPC based on the PPC Linux backend on the LLVM archives.

It would definitely be useful to have an LLVM backend for AmigaOS 4.x.

Quote:
Would it, by the way, be possible for IDLTool to generate extern directives for each function so that an automated build script could link code to the library skeleton instead of creating an empty one?

IIRC, this is already possible. You can ask it to not create the empty function stubs. This is kind of essential since you don't want it to wipe your existing functions if you use IDLTool to add extra functions, or another interface.

I have hardly ever used IDLTool myself (not in the habit of creating new libraries), so you'll have to look up the details in the documentation provided in the SDK.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@angelheart Quote:
We need a UNIVERSAL AMIGA Assembly language ... to port to different CPUS.

We have: It's called "C"

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@angelheart Quote:
We need a UNIVERSAL AMIGA Assembly language ... to port to different CPUS.

We have: It's called "C"

Excellent answer!

Why try to mess with LLVM and other detours unless possibly if something is already written in LLVM.

It just doesn't get any easier than C, with the possible exception of PortablE then

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil
The main reasons I can see for using LLVM:

1. To use it's C compiler to replace GCC, if it produces a better executable. (In general this is not the case yet, but maybe soon.)

2. If you want to write a compiled language that will easily work on more than one CPU, without using C as an intermediate. (Quite a bit of work, but some people enjoy that kind of thing.)

3. If you want to write a JIT that is not limited to one CPU.

4. If you want to have a "compile once run anywhere" platform. This requires having a (functionally identical) run-time for every OS that you want to support, which is not small feat.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

5. If you don't like GPL 3 code dependencies, you can switch to LLVM's UIUC Public License. (Not a big deal for most of us but maybe a big deal to Hyperion.)

6. If you're developing on a Classic Amiga and nobody will apply your patches to the mainline to make the 68k backend of GCC better, you can switch to LLVM where patches are welcome.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@abalaban

Hmm, I've just been playing around with creating a .library from a .a using Joerg's old example code.

It took me about an hour for a small library (including the odd schoolboy error and locating changes which weren't explicitly mentioned in the docs). Actually I haven't tested it so I don't know for sure that it worked.

A lot of the process ought to be able to be automated. Something like idltool could generate most of the files (most of the files are modified versions of ones created by idltool anyway). You can skip generating the cruddy xml file and instead rip function definitions straight out of the C headers which can then directly be used in the library and libauto-style stub code.

Well, OK, ripping the function defs out is the key part, and the one bit I'm not entirely sure how to do.

Whilst working on that problem, a manual function table in a sane format (ie. not XML, I'm thinking more along the lines of .FD) could easily be used to create all the files. A bunch of template code with the functions injected is something that could be written in ARexx.

A manual function table I suppose has the benefit of ensuring new functions are actually added to the end, rather than somewhere in the middle, although I'm not sure whether order matter for OS4-style interfaces (it obviously does for 68k libraries)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

As you said doing this on a simple library is not a big deal, but try to do it with a bigger library and you'll be gone for an annoying job. Converting a C definition to the XML format is real a pain an error prone. Being able to automate the writing of the XML file would be really a great advance.
I don't understand why you want to invent yet another format we already have this IDL why change again, all it needs is a a tool above it for porters to help them.
And about your critics about XML not being "sane format", come on it's not 1990 anymore it's 2010 and despite not being an all-XML fanatic I really think that here it's rightly used. It's just that the format used forbid a straigth copy/paste from C include but if you want to be language independant you don't have the choice.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »