Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: Commodore USA acquires rights to Amiga name
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Helgis

Quote:
I see. If that is the case what you say, then explain to the community why Hyperion will bring this case to the court with their laywers in USA. There is clearly a reason for that, and Hyperion pointed it out quite clear it had something to do with violating the settlement...

Whatever the reason, it has nothing to do with AROS being based on the Helgis invented term "Open-Source AmigaOS 3.1 codes".

Quote:
Perhaps i might have been wrong about something

Not perhaps, you were.

Quote:
but still i made a very clear point

No you didn't. And obviously you still don't get that.

Quote:
Instead of accusing a person like me for being wrong

There's no accusation. You were being told that you were flat out wrong.

Quote:
Many of the members in this topic suspected much of the same as i did, so it seems that several were wrong too as well..

Nope, you are pretty much the only one. But you didn't even get that.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

You still didn't explain why Hyperion intend to bring this case to the court. It doesn't matter who was wrong or right about this, because the whole situation regarding the announcement of Commodore USA to use AROS is both
disturbing and confusing...

My impression is that you show off quite a form of arrogance just because you feel you are right.
You might be right, but there is no excuse to
be arrogant. Arrogance will lead to the dark side..

I will advice you to keep your arrogance under control,
and give a better, more neutral answer. At least i am trying to do that..

Soon to own a powerful AmigaOne X1000 with latest AmigaOS 4.1 incarnation ;) Dual Core PPC!

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

I can admit that i have been wrong, but i also see that you underestimate the modern technology of PowerPC-development the way it happens today...

While although an x86-version of AmigaOS surely would help a lot, we should probably ask if this actually is the best solution for the Amiga? Porting all PPC-applications that run under the PPC-version of AmigaOS4 will take a lot of time and strenght. Do the Amiga companies have time and money to invest in an x86-version? For Commodore USA to use AROS might be a good choice, but AROS is STILL the clone of AmigaOS. AmigaOS is the true, native Amiga-system to be run on true Amiga hardwares. In this case,
PPC...

IBM is still making new POWER-chips, and they even brought up a 4.7Ghz server-system based on POWER-7
architecture, making this the world's fastest and most powerful server system up-to-date? Saying that PPC
is dead and weak is like saying that Santa Claus is real!
In addition, there are several players on the scene developing different PPC-processors based on modern POWER-architecture. We got Freescale, we got IBM,
and we also have the previous P.A Semi. PPC is far from dead. It has jus been rebornt in new, modern ways!

Remember that x86 and PPC work in quite different ways to each others. Both have their strenght and weakness, but i would say that PPC has gotten a whole new beginning. Not only are several PPC chips going 64-bit, but several also include multi-core and great compatibility with 32-bit...

With this edvidence, we can agree that you as well have been wrong about something, too. I think it's quite fair and true to say. Don't take it personal. At least i don't, even that Amiga is very personal and important to me..

Soon to own a powerful AmigaOne X1000 with latest AmigaOS 4.1 incarnation ;) Dual Core PPC!

- Helgis
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Helgis

"You still didn't explain why Hyperion intend to bring this case to the court."

Here's an idea, go ask Hyperion. There's no reason for me to speculate on their exact reasoning. And no that doesn't give any validity to your incorrect assumptions.

"With this edvidence"

Oh please just stop.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

I guess none of us quite know the main reason for Hyperion to take action against this..

But i actually asked Trevor in a private mail.
Perhaps he knows something? We'll see..

Don't think it's anything more to say.
I feel insulted because Amiga is very
personal to me. It has been since 1985.
Amiga is my life. That's why it's very personal
to me..

It doesn't seem you care so much about the Amiga.
Why being a member of an Amiga site if you don't
care about the Amiga, and takes it personal?
Shouldn't we fight for a better future for the
Amiga if we are to care about the platform?
I'm giving my life to fight for the Amiga to
be where it belongs in the future. A-EON,
Hyperion and ACube have the best visions
for the future of the Amiga. There is no reason
to doubt that..

When you said the last word "Please, just stop",
it indicated i was right that you underestimate
the PPC-technology of today, but enough of that
really. We both have been wrong for some reasons,
in different circumstances..

I'm willing to admit my mistakes, if you are willing to admit yours. Together we can improve ourselves. It's true humanity to do mistakes, and becoming a better human by admiting them and improving on them..

That's all for now. You have a nice day, sir..

- Helgis
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Helgis

Helgis, the master of incorrect assumptions.

Anyway, if you feel the need to spout more nonsense about this, or any other topic, I suggest you use the PM facility.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hyperion, should have seen it coming upon settlement. Since they didn't acquired the AMIGA name, then anyone else could license it be it for computers, cars, hi-fi or toilets.

I can't understand the hostility in taking legal measures against an "Amiga PC". Although I fully understand the frustration to the customers which the above will lead into. Moreover, the Amiga PC will be as Amiga, as the Chinese Terron boards were.

Perhaps the X-1000 will be the last PPC machine built running AmigaOS. Perhaps not. But finally someone must understand that producing a 2.000 Euros custom machine (that lacks more than hapf of the power when placed in contrary with a x86 2.000 Euros computer) is not the way to speed up development nor to attract new blood.

As for AROS, well, whoever has used it, can understand that it is years behind AmigaOS (and MorphOS). Giving it for free with a PC64/AmigaPC won't attract thousands of regular customers / developers. Also, CUSA hasn't an scheme for improving development through hiring AROS devs/coders and a 3.000 euros gift (if that ever going to happen) each year won't change its functionality level either. On the contrary AmigaOS, in its present level, would be useful running in fast, cheap x 86 with a custom chassis AmigaPC.

Time will tell of course, but please, no more under GHz, no L2, Altivec, slow RAM, in extreme amounts of money.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@All

Just to correct you all, to my knowledge no Aros developers are being paid or have been approached. If they have then it is news to me and most key developers. I have been discussing helping them with drivers but so far it has not concluded either way.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
To add to the above, CUSA, is making more damage to AROS than good when mentions its name. Without proper support a la Red Hut, Suse etc it just looks AROS will get used as trojan horse among ex-amigans at the time AROS was gaining respect from the widest range of our community leaded by respectful people.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cool_amigaN
I think the Sam460 is a nice compromise between Sam440 & X1000 (in both price & performance). Not perfect by any means, but about as good as it's going to get. The X1000 is *supposed* to be expensive, rather like the A3000 & A4000 were (and to a certain extent like the A1000 was).

It's easy to state with hindsight that in 2001 OS4 should have gone x86 not PPC, but MorphOS made the same mistake. And changing from PPC to x86 now would simply be too huge a cost, without them having yet even recouped the cost of making OS4 for PPC - unless they ditched PPC compatibility (which would be a marketing disaster IMHO).

I really think people should enjoy what we have right now (it's actually pretty good), rather than chasing unrealistic phantoms.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Helgis

Quote:
Remember that x86 and PPC work in quite different ways to each others. Both have their strenght and weakness, but i would say that PPC has gotten a whole new beginning. Not only are several PPC chips going 64-bit, but several also include multi-core and great compatibility with 32-bit...

Not to mention that PPC (like ARM) was built from the ground up to be a RISC processor. x86 is some crazy hybrid these days - they could run faster (and probably cooler and cheaper) by ditching the legacy CISC "emulation" layer.

It's actually quite impressive that x86 goes as fast as it does - but if I was building a new computer platform, I'd pick a modern design CPU, not something from the 70s which is hampered by an instruction set and architecture designed - definitely by some very clever people - but from an era when the most efficient instruction set characteristics, registers etc weren't yet known.

@ChrisH
Quote:
I really think people should enjoy what we have right now (it's actually pretty good), rather than chasing unrealistic phantoms.

Well said - and the decision to go PPC was effectively made long before 2001.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

I like what you said, Chris, and it's so true. That's why PPC is the best choice for the Amiga. It's so easy to believe that x86 is the best solution for the Amiga. It clearly isn't, and for many reasons...

The future is interesting, indeed..

- Helgis
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Helgis

*sigh*

I wish you'd stop giving us the benefit of your "informed" wisdom.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helgis Quote:
Reading about AROS from Wikipedia, it reveals to be an Open Source-variant of AmigaOS 3.1, as open source codes of AmigaOS 3.1 have been used to develop AROS from scratch

Take anything from Wikipedia with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, as has already been pointed out, there is no such thing as "open source codes of AmigaOS 3.1". AROS was written *from scratch* (using no code from AmigaOS), but it operate in a similar fashion to AmigaOS 3.1, so that old Amiga programs can be easily recompiled for AROS.

If you don't know the difference between a programming interface (API) & program code, then please just accept this as true. There's no harm in being wrong (plus arguing that black is white tends to annoy people after a while).

Quote:
it still doesn't explain clearly why Hyperion Entertainment is bringing this matter into the court again.

They haven't gone to court yet. They are talking to lawyers at this point, presumably to see if they do have a case worth taking to court. I hope they do, but from what I've read of their agreement I can't see they have one.

P.S. Please please please try to make your replies short. If it exceeds more than a few paragraphs (or one page) then people probably won't bother reading it. There is no need to comment on every possibility.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Helgis

Quote:
codes from AmigaOS 3.1 was used to build AROS from scratch.

Helgis, the above doesn't mean the same as

"implementation of the AmigaOS 3.1 APIs", from Wikipedia.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Marko on 2010/9/6 15:59:45
AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Helgis

Indeed they are, all you need to do is sort out fact from fantasy now...buddy!

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Helgis

Well, while your comments being deleted are not my doing, I can see why it would happen.

The problem is that your posts tend to convey information that simply isn't true. While I don't doubt your intentions are honourable and sincere, you really need to learn to interpret the "facts" correctly. Statements like "open source codes of AmigaOS 3.1" is simply something that you did not read, at least from from any factual website.

You are free to express your opinions, of course, but if that is the case you need to make sure everyone is aware that it is just that, opinion, and not post it as though it were the facts. This isn't the first time we have had this conversation either.

Simon

----
Go to top
Anonymous
@Rigo

Beside critics of Helgis "maximu optimism" (which is nice, contrary to too much negativism") has anyone noted
that "CBM USA" has put Amiga Forever with AROS and not with WinUAE?

http://www.commodoreusa.net/os.html

Defenetely needs some better exponation of their OS choices, especially unclear is what OS it will be bundled with ... OK, they took basically most popular x86 OSs (Ubuntu and Windows), added some AROS and UAE to get Amiga mess and ChromeOS for popularity (is there ChromeOS x86 final?)

Go to top
Anonymous
@Rigo

Beside critics of Helgis "maximum optimism" (which is nice, contrary to too much negativism") has anyone noted
that "CBM USA" has put Amiga Forever with AROS and not with WinUAE?

http://www.commodoreusa.net/os.html

Defenetely needs some better exponation of their OS choices, especially unclear is what OS it will be bundled with ... OK, they took basically most popular x86 OSs (Ubuntu and Windows), added some AROS and UAE to get Amiga mess and ChromeOS for popularity (is there ChromeOS x86 final?)

Go to top
Anonymous
@vox

And whatever COMODO is ...

No one knows. Just a shell or they are now building the OS too? Weird, weird ... ("Weirdos getting Virdo)

And most interesting would be to see machine with them all, only Windows seems to cost something out of the list

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 »