Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS4 pthread.library usage experience wanted
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'm considering the use of pthreads.library in order to implement threads in wxWidgets, however I wonder if there are any drawbacks doing this ? Specifically will there be any restrictions in the created threads to use standard Amiga API ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Re: OS4 pthread.library usage experience wanted
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@abalaban

there are only few missing functions in os4 and iirc the semaphore implementation
If you want to be sure try all the tests you can find here:

https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/pthreads/

is the best tutorial i've found

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@afxgroup

thank you for this link, very useful. In fact I was rather looking for information about the OS4's pthreads implementation. And I was interested in any problem there might be in it or any restriction its usage might impose for the created threads in the use of the Amiga API.

For example it seems to me Bean switched back from pthreads to native Amiga API in Tunenet because of problems.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@abalaban

I switched from PThreads to my own process management system due to a number of non working schedualing functions. Apart from that the implementation was pretty sound.

Cheers,
Bean.

OS4.1 + an A1XE with an appetite for batteries!
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@abalaban

I would say if you are porting existing code that uses pthreads then, use pthreads under OS4. Otherwise unless you need something specific from the pthread API write your own code using amigaos tasks and stuff.

I don't think there any limt on what you can do WRT the AmigaOS API in a pthread. You may have to be careful about altering task user data perhaps, as pthreads might use that (not 100% sure on that but I think I 'read it somewhere TM')

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues & bean

Thank you for this information, I think I'll give a try on pthreads then...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

you could look at wxlua, it has code for WxWidgets using lua
http://wxlua.sourceforge.net/

some threadinfo:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-ipc2lin1.html

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@abalaban

The actual problem I was having with pthreads on OS4 was when using the pthread_attr_setinhertisched() function, it would always fail when I used the attribute, PTHREAD_EXPLICIT_SCHED. (This then meant I coudn't use the pthread_attr_setschedparam() function.)

I think Thomas Frieden then confirmed that this wasn't fully implemented. So instead of mixing pthreads and AmigaOS process related API calls I wrote my own class to ease the handling, which was built up from the standard AmigaOS API calls. (I now use this class all over TuneNet).

Cheers,
Bean.

OS4.1 + an A1XE with an appetite for batteries!
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@abalaban

The guy who is working on porting Blender (not Thomas Frieden, but Broadblues who independently started porting it) noticed a number of issues. The threads library currently also misses rwlocks.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

Strictly I found one issue in two places. Under some hard to reproduce conditions a pthread and it;s parent thread can both seem to end up waitng for a semaphore. It's hard to reproduce in terms of a simple code example that I can give to Rogue to test. (I must try to have another go at that soon, just can't find any programming time ATM.) not so hard to get to happen.

It seems to occur when new threads are being spawn at the same time as another tasking is using lot's of or a surge of cpu time. Such as rendering an animation with blender (make lost of pthreads) and browseing the net, sudden surges of image decoding.

The threading thing that's really giveing me problem in blender at the moment, is the SDL_Audio thread, which blender tries to kill on exit, fails and goes into a busy loop. This is an "SDL thread" and nothing to do with pthreads though.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

OK, sorry if I'm about to waste everybodys time, but something I've noticed whilst using the latest MPlayer to play an "mms" stream.

I just happened to have snoopy open and after closing MPlayer, this was left running, endlessly repeating...

00188 : pthread id 1 : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("timer.device",0,0x6A6884C0,0x00000000) = 0 [56uS]

It was'nt snoopy's window playing catch-up, because the "lines queued" count kept increasing, eventually after an hour or so the machine would come to a halt. I only mention this at it is "pthread" related
Richard.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@All

With AOS4.1.1, pthreads.library produce also the following problems:

- A program who use pthreads idxx threads (for managing datas from internet to the computer) could have all the threads in wait semaphore mode and the program simply stop working.........

- This problem allways exist or have been corrected ???

- If not corrected, what solution exist to temporarly stop this problem ???

Would like to knowwif this problem (thread all in semaphore state) came from AOS or the program itself....

Thanks for the answers...

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top

Register To Post