Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Hard Drive USB Seagate 300 GigaByte
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have an External HD USB Seagate of 300 GigaByte and it works fine on Amiga OS 4.1 and Sam440EP. Yesterday i had to format it and i did it on Amiga OS.. Unfortunatly the format freezed and to recover the hd i had to use Linux Ubuntu 9.04, that' s because i wasn't able to recognize and use the hd under winxp.. i formatted the hd under linux as fat32 and now i can "see" the hd under amiga os 4.1 and linux, but no windows xp.. If check the hd under amiga os on icon info, it shows me " fat 2 ", which filesystem is ??.. What i have to do to format the hd under amiga os as fat 32 and make it usable also under windows ??

Thanks

Go to top
Re: Hard Drive USB Seagate 300 GigaByte
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

Generally I always found that as far as cross dos goes between pc and amiga it was ok to format things on the pc and you could sort something out on the amiga to see/mount it but it never seemed to work the other way around...

I'd recommend formatting it under windows and chances are amiga will handle it...

sorry I can't help precisely...

I used to have a 300g USB too, my son brought it for a present, never could mount it on the A1, I ripped it apart and hooked it up to the SATA on SAM and never looked back... heh

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

sounds like a messed up MBR partition table to me. Try to Partition the drive again.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nubechecorre

Always do a quick format (unless you think there are problems on the drive).
I already formated a big USB disk but I didn't remember the size. I borrowed it from a friend (hello Creols).

Edited by Elwood on 2009/5/31 19:01:11
Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nubechecorre
What I assume you mean is that WinXP recognises that a USB harddrive is connected, but it doesn't recognise the filingsystem (so no drives appear). That should be fixed by repartitioning it on Windows.

Right-click My Computer, choose Manage, click on Disk Management (under Storage), and then be VERY careful to partition the USB harddrive rather than the one with Windows on it!!!! Probably best to backup Windows first before doing so.

If you do not have the Manage option, then your version of Windows is too limited (I think that Home Edition may not have this option).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Yes Chris, that' s what happens here, ok i try and tell you what happens

Edit

It doesn't appear on the list of the device.. as i can see it under linux ubuntu, may i try some different format ? maybe ext 2 or 3 ? maybe so i can make it see under window and then try to reformat under windows ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Check if partitiontype is FAT in the partitiontable.. if its not linux can mount it anyway.. AmigaOS might see it.. Windows will not.

gparted is a good app to manage the partitiontable.. it should be type B Win95 FAT

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Yaroze

GParted is an amiga program or win program ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

Unprep (as if it was new and not spoiled by any cpu) it and Windows will see it... unless of course Windows never saw it and then perhaps it is a problem with the usb connection?

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nubechecorre

"GParted is the Gnome Partition Editor application"

So linux I think.

Go to top