Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS 4.1 - unstable
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I find my OS4.1 setup rather unusable. Whenever I try to do something productive, ie use OWB, iBrowse, anything involving development, I find myself having freezes and lockups, always having to resort to reboot. Since this is rather annoying I try to use RDesktop to my Windows-machine, which most of the time works rather ok (been fiddling with some cross-compiling). Now recently even RDesktop seemed to crash with reboot as only solution.

I have not installed the latest updates to OS4.1, since my registration code doesn't seem to work (yes, I have payed for it; I bought it from Hast-Enterprises here in sweden). I contacted Hast, and they directed me to Hyperion. I've sent a few mails and got one reply, however my code still won't work (in the latest mail I sent my code, and after that I also sent a reminder mail).

I'm really getting tired of this, and, well, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced lockups, and if the updates fixed them. As it is now my Amiga only works as a RDesktop interface to my PC.

I'd really like to try to develop something, but the constant reboots is really contra-productive.

My setup is rather clean. AISS is the only thing 3rd-party thing in my WBStartup.

Wasn't OS4.1 supposed to be more stable, as in crashing applications not locking the entire system? Or I have I dreamt that?

Oh, yeah, might mention I have a AmigaOne G4, 800MHz, one memory module with 512MB (used to be 512+256, but removed the 256 to see of lockups stopped). I probably shoudl remove anything not absolutely necessary before complaining. But the SCSI-card mostly sits there doing nothing.
I also have a SCSI-card (LSI53c8xx), Radeon 7000 and a Soundblaster card.

Go to top
Re: OS 4.1 - unstable
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jaokim
Hi :)
If you're on a Sam440Flex with 2x512Mb RAM,
Simply remove 1 memory slot and run your Amiga OS 4.1 with only 512Mb RAM.
It should fix some issues like crashes.

I get the same problem on my Sam440Flex ... With 512Mb RAM, it's more stable :)

Freddix

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jaokim

What machine are you using OS4.1 on that could help with diagnosing the problem a little easier.

A1XE G4 800mhz,512mb,Radeon9200,SonyDRU-510A and 800a, Esi Juli@,Sil680,WiFi.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Curty

Quote:
@jaokim What machine are you using OS4.1 on that could help with diagnosing the problem a little easier.

Answer:

Quote:
Oh, yeah, might mention I have a AmigaOne G4, 800MHz, one memory module with 512MB (used to be 512+256, but removed the 256 to see of lockups stopped).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Curty

Ah, yes. I forgot those details in my upsetness. :)

Its an AmigaONe, G4 800MHz, one 512MB module (edited original post).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jaokim

1. Is the heatsink/fan fitted to the G4 the standard one?
If so that maybe a problem as they are insufficient to cool correctly.

2. Is the power supply ok, we've seen people with power supply problems in the past thats caused instability.

3. When was the last time you changed your mobo battery?
That can cause problems if battery is too low.

4. What controller is your drives connected to, the internal A1 ide?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jaokim

PS I have the same machine as you, and never hardly ever get crashes.
My machine never deadlocks either and I also run about five programs in my wbstartup.
OWB is rock solid here too.

Ive got a good PSU, ive upgraded my cpu cooler to a zalman vf900-cu and run my ide drive from a sil pci card.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jaokim

Buy the recommended Radeon 9250 card. Try memtest on the Memory module. Check for loose cables etc.

clint

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim

Try removing the soundcard,try using the other mem module too. Don't bother with the memtest. On my SE i had really much problems,lockups,buggy system. Ran memtester,all ok! Swapped the ram with the module from my other A1 and it worked rock stable. And the ram module for the SE was the one supplied with the machine from when it was new. Other than that try as suggested,swap back up battery,remove anything not nessesary to use the machine to check if that helps.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jaokim

I just noticed that you have a Radeon 7000 grapics card and a SoundBlaster card. At one time this was not a good combination, not sure if they work ok together with OS4.1.

Not sure how much Video RAM is normally available on a Radeon 7000 graphics card, but you might try disabling the compositing stuff in Prefs/GUI.

With the MicroA1, we run into a problem with not enough onboard Video RAM. We have only 32 MB of Video RAM. I use the 1024x768 no hwaccel theme in Prefs/Presets/Default drawer. This kills most of the compositing and transparency effects on the Workbench, but also frees up alot more Video RAM for other stuff.

---
redfox

Go to top

Register To Post