Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Need a mungwall style utility for OS4.1
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I tried memguard on os4depot.net but it complains about low memory then locks up my machine solid.

Go to top
Re: Need a mungwall style utility for OS4.1
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jahc

isn't it a command line option to OS4 kernel that is able to do that ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@jahc

You can add the "munge" keyword to the kernel command line in UBoot. This serves as a very basic munging tool.

If you need deeper munging, MemGuard 1.15 works very well, and is installed here permanently.

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rigo

I basically just want to test if WookieChat is doing anything illegal on exit. On OS4, no reapers appear, but on MOS it triggers Mungwall output..

Can you give me a brief command line on how to start up MemGuard for my needs?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@jahc

Install it somewhere, then this is what I have in startup-sequence:

run >NIL: dh0:development/debugging/memguard/memguard DumpWall ShowFails

You should see the "welcome" message in the terminal during boot if it is set up correctly.

Simon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jahc

Test WookieChat on 4.0 or 3.9 because 4.1 with new memory system ignores your errors about memory allocations, but the same doesn't happen on mos and OS3

me too here MemGuard is unstable, in particular way when gcc compiles and writes on shell long lines...

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@jahc
Use the debug kernel and add the MUNGE keyword to the os4_commandline uboot env var.

You can also run memguard which works fine with 4.1 kernels. I don't know why it won't work on your computer but the author can be contacted directly.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie
Maybe because you are betatester/developer of amiga os and have a new kernel ?..

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
As we are talking about bug tracking, I've just opened a thread on utilitybase because I have freezes without GrimReaper and I don't know how to find the cause. Maybe there is something to prevent that, I don't know if mungwall can be useful (just installed it though).
- How many levels has the debuglevel option in os4_commandline ?
- How to use the kernel in debug mode ?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@corto

There are two flavours of the kernel. If you look in Sys:Kickstart, you should see "kernel" and "kernel.debug". Your kicklayout file probably references "MODULE Sys:Kickstart/Kernel", and this needs to be changed for kernel.debug.

A cold reboot is required after this change in order to load the debug version.

As for the "os4 command line" variable, you can set the debuglevel to 20, but be warned that the higher the value, the more output you will get. While sashimi can capture this output, you should really be using a serial terminal to capture the output( you will need to add the "serial" keyword to the os4 comand line in UBoot), or at the very least, redirect sashimi to a file.

Simon

Edited by Rigo on 2009/5/27 0:57:16
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

Steven is talking about kernel features that have always been there, everyone has them.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Maybe the problem is that in OS 4.1 CD (at least for AmigaOne) the documentation for the kernel option previously located in "SYS:Documentation/kernel/kernel.doc" misteriously disappeared.
This file present under OS 4.0 was explaining everything about the kernel options.

This night while trying to experiment with the munge option and memguard I also noticed another file (maybe it was KickLayout itself, can't check right now) was making reference to a missing Documentation/kernel/bootloader.txt

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top

Register To Post