Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 - software problems.
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

> Of course you can't save prefs when you've booted from the CD

aarrghhhh I didn't complain that I cannot save prefs to CD. I complain that if I set the small icons in the workbench "text mode" I get a grimreaper at reboot. I can't test from CD, because I can't save the prefs.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ricossa

Sorry, I misunderstood you. What happens if you boot from the CD, change the prefs, then click "Use"? Does it work properly?

What happens if you don't change the prefs on your installed system? Does it run normally until you change the prefs?

Here's something to try: When you click "Use", it only writes the prefs to "ENV:", not to "ENVARC:" as well. If "Use" works OK when you have booted from CD, you could copy the prefs file ENV:Sys/workbench.prefs onto your installed system disk in Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

"use" works very well even if I boot from HD. Only problem when I reboot (soft or cold). I get a gream reaper from c:iprefs. If I click on "ignore" all goes well. But it shouldn't work that way, should it ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I got random freezes in different actions:
Closing Window, moving Icon from one window to another, clicking Link on Ibrowse are which i remember.
DumpDebugBuffer mostly shows nothing, i only got 3, but perhaps these were other errors.
Mostly the AOne runs for 1 or 2 hours without problems, then freeze. Warm reset runs.

Tomcat

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ricossa

Quote:

Ricossa wrote:
@tonyw

"use" works very well even if I boot from HD. Only problem when I reboot (soft or cold). I get a gream reaper from c:iprefs. If I click on "ignore" all goes well. But it shouldn't work that way, should it ?

Then it has nothig to do with this setting as with "use" your settings will be lost at next reboot. So this might be a hardware problem, perhaps ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

once again : the problem is when I "save" the setting and then reboot. Then, C:IPrefs grims if I set SmallIcons and not if I don't set SmallIcons. It is a problem when IPrefs loads the prefs with the SmallIcons...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ricossa

Okay I didn't understand what you said in your previous post...
I think the only way to see which is the culprit, is to remove all your ENVARC:Sys/ prefs and then add then one after another and see which one is causing the problem.
Did you tried, as I suggsted you, to erase (after a backup) your ENVARC:Sys/workbench.prefs then reboot, then launch the WB prefs, then set all your settings you want, then save then reboot to see if it still crashs.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

yes : crash

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ricossa

Pfff that's bad, so much troubles just because of doing an upgrade instead of a clean install...
I think I have gained more time doing a clean install than you did doing an upgrade. After a clean install just copy everything from your old ENVARC: except ENVARC/Sys, then open every preference program for which you did some customization and use the 'Load' function with the corresponding file from your backup then 'save' ... Took me at most 2mins to get back the same environment than I did under OS4.0...

The small icons in the wb text mode is really great and improves useability IMHO.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tomcat
I'm getting random freezes too. Since I have to "reset" instead of "reboot" there is nothing in the debugbuffer. I just had one 15 minutes ago. I was online and everything was working fine. I walked away from the computer for 5 minutes and when I returned the system was frozen. OS 4.1 certainly hasn't improved stability over OS 4.0 and may actually be worse because I get more freezes and fewer Grim Reapers. At least I get some indication of the cause if it is trapped by GR. I'm going to start logging my freezes just to get some idea how frequent they are.

P.S. Using ?A1/OS 4.1

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

I made an upgrade an my system is rock stable.

PS: by the way, why don't speak of all this on our French amiga OS 4 site (this woul avoid the misunderstood sentences ).

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@K-L

I did not say that an upgrade is unstable... at least not always... but that when you do an upgrade to gain time and that you then spend hours to trouble shoot the problems you have caused by the upgrade, maybe a clean install would have saved you some hassle....

Concerning discussing this here I already proposed this to lucas but it seems he prefers exposing his problem here in english rather than on our own forums in french

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

I totally agree with you. If the upgrade went wrong, it's better to make a clean install (after having backed up your old system of course)

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@xenic

The first question has to be: Did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

Simon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

don't remember. I posted here because there is more people around )

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

I have a AOne XE G4, 512MB RAM, Radeon9000. Clean install of 4.1.

Tomcat

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo

I did a clean install. Freezes are not a new problem for me, they occurred with OS4 too. I'm probably more aware and more critical after installing an upgrade. I'm going to keep a log of freezes and note the program that froze so I have a real idea of how often and when it's occurring. Ironically, it hasn't happened since I made my post mentioning this. I only posted to let the other user know that he is not alone with this problem. Since I also had problems with compositing on my ?A1 that nobody else could confirm,I suspect that I may have a hardware issue. I'm reluctant to disassemble my ?A1, clean contacts, reseat chips etc. until I have a backup system.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@xenic

I suspect that I may have a hardware issue.

Did you have a reasonably stable OS4.0 final before the upgrade? You're not convincing me to purchase OS4.1 !

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

My A1XE/G4 was running OS4.0 perfectly and still is with OS 4.1 I preordered in late July IIRC. Go for OS 4.1, but don't expect too much visible except the Composting engine (that I like very much) and some new little tools here and there... The best is inside

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@drHirudo

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@ShInKurO

NewsCoaster (v1.63 AmigaOS4) works here on AmigaOS 4.1. The same NewsCoaster from my old AmigaOS 4.0 install.
Edit: Errrm, not quite. Opening message crashes the whole AmigaOS 4.1!

I have the same problem wiht NewsCoaster any update avilable for resolve it ? this SW is here using daily..but now on OS4.1 is not working :(

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich

Warp - Croatian Amiga portal
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)