Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A Cooling Experience
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi all,

The CPU fan that comes with A1XE looks pathetic. Looking for a new one is hard to turn up. What size "socket" or does anyone have any suggestions?

Chris

Go to top
Re: A Cooling Experience
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@QuikSanz

I use a zalman vf900, keeps it lovely and cool :)

A1XE G4 800mhz,512mb,Radeon9200,SonyDRU-510A and 800a, Esi Juli@,Sil680,WiFi.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Curty

Wow, your a mind reader. That's the exact fan I have been eyeballing. Too bad its not 4 wire.

Thanks, at least I know now it will fit.

Chris

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@QuikSanz

I put a Swiftech MCX159-CU in mine probaly about two years ago. It's been working great. It has a LARGE solid copper base with copper cooling pipes leading up to the cooling fan area. I had to trim one of the nylon nuts I used to mount it so it would clear surface mounted hardware on the CPU card.

Although, when I took out the original Sunon cooler, it was still working fine. Caveat: I also have 4 case fans and two oversize fans in the Antech power supply.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@QuikSanz

I use a "hybrid" of coolermaster (afair "blue ice") without the fan (small fans hum and vibrate) with zalman fb123 braket (with 90mm fan) blowing over the heatsink area. Thermal paste is AS5 (thanks to Raziel, who saved me from the shortage here when I was trying to buy sime).

some pics

Edit: similar setup reduces load (weight) on the module, and the big fan is very silent,

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Hi,

Creative mounting there but probably not quiet or efficient.

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Paul

That's should be a good cooler but I don't have that many fans in my tower. I don't really want to add more (loud) fans.

Chris

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@QuikSanz

Jacks setup looks like mine. The big zallman is very quiet imho.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@QuikSanz

I used a Thermalright SI-97 heatpipe with a 92mm silent fan from Papst years ago:

Resized Image

See it here in action with some instruction for mounting.

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@QuikSanz

The Zalman-123 allows the fan to be mounted to PCI bracket slots. My CoolerMaster C5 has a case port to the CPU and aligns with the fan. It's cool and quiet: 32 to 37 degrees celcius these winter days; 41 to 45 on summer days.

This was scrapped lately, but shows the fan& bracket:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11367727@N07/1287884906/

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@QuikSanz

Quote:

QuikSanz wrote:
@Jack

Hi,

Creative mounting there but probably not quiet or efficient.

Chris

On the contrary. 90mm fan beats the puny chipset fan noisewise.
And it is incredibly hot in here during the summer and all was well
And as I said, it's less weight on the socket/heatsink holders.
The stuff developed qiote annoying humm during couple of months. I modded the psu with quiet fan and it wasn't it. I oiled the cooler master and that was it. So I removed it in favour of zalman

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

The case I'm using does have a fan on the side and it does blow on most of the board including that area.

I was just looking for one to replace the CPU fan, I don't really trust it. May get a smaller one for the Radeon too.

Chris

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@QuikSanz

I use a Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II Northbridge cooler, which works well enough and quiet enough for me. However, I've been told that the zalman vf900 is more effective.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Curty

I did need to replace the thumb nut screws that secure the cooler with smaller less pretruding ones if you know what i mean. But it runs very cool, very quiet and comes with an adjuster so you can alter the speed of the fan to suit.

A1XE G4 800mhz,512mb,Radeon9200,SonyDRU-510A and 800a, Esi Juli@,Sil680,WiFi.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Curty

Actually thinking about a 3 maybe 4 channel fan controller w/ temperature probes and stuff to run at least the CPU, side case fan and maybe the one in the back. I have extra bays so, why not.

I really want to minimize the risk cause lets face it some A1's already have failed.

Chris

Go to top

Register To Post