Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
173 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 173

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Ps3 experience
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'm gonna get me one for me and my little princess. As a christmas gift I have tried it before and think it's a very good game console. Have only tested motorstorm,very cool game,gets a big - cos singleplayer only. I like soccer games too,and cars,oooh and wargames Share your experience?

X5000
Go to top
Re: Ps3 experience
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

ive had mine for a few months now and have quite a few games, some better than others, Lair i liked.. a motion controlled dragon game.. very cool but awkward at times.. but truth be told i brought the ps3 for 1 game and 1 only, GTA IV .. cant wait, kayne and lynch will do for now :)

enjoy your new toy, apart from heaps of firmware updates,(which are all worth it imho)it is a primo piece of kit, i thank god every day i got a fully kitted 60gb ps3..

lu lu lu got some apples

best episodes Southpark season 11: Night of the living homeless, More c rap and Le petiet tourettes!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

I have it - i love it!

There are a lot of very good games and of course not so good ones... Super Stardust HD (available online via Playstation Store) is surely one of the best

Ok, to be honest: I'm only playing Assassin's Creed anymore since it was released.. what a fantastic game!

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is also recommendable ;)

Not to forget Heavenly Sword if you like Hack&Slay stuff like God of War...

There are plenty of other good games out there... of course i'm also using the PS3 as media player streaming movies and stuff over WiFi from my Linux server (any DLNA server would do).

Linux does also work without bigger issues.. just make sure to use the latest beta kernel for e.g. Yellow Dog Linux because only the latest ones are compatible again with PS3 firmware 2.0+ and WiFi.. it's nice to surf with Firefox from within the couch ;)

All in all: I'm still amazed after ..hmm .. one year? Got it right after release here in germany... dunno anymore..

And regarding Lair: I really have to buy me that one... ;)

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cyborg

Will get one, when they release another batch of backward
compatible consoles (sold out in Europe(?), till then i'll
have my ps2 and be happy with it).

Assassin's Creed will be a must here too
GTA IV i'm very intrigued

and maybe the successor of PES 2008 (which is worse than
PES 6, i've been told)

also i'm waiting for the best action-adventures/adventures
yet to hit the market

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi you guys,

We're in danger of losing our #3 position in the dnetc OGR25 race. I think that alot of the trouble is coming from people using their PS3s with linux to generate gnodes* (check the CPU/OS stats page for Cell/linux, and see the start date).... Any chance some of you could try at home and see how high results you can get?

* It's also all these Q6600 quad core x86s people are getting their hands on, too.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I've only got 4 games so far though.

FIFA 08
The simpsons game
Cars
Call of duty 4

Blu ray:
Pirates at worlds end
Big Fish
Latest Harry potter

I'm planning to get assasins creed,which looks great. And some more car games. Love racing

Got a 47" lcd philips hd ready.

Edited by Antique on 2008/1/13 23:03:02
Edited by Antique on 2008/1/13 23:03:50
Edited by Antique on 2008/1/16 19:02:05
X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

OT:

Quote:

We're in danger of losing our #3 position in the dnetc OGR25 race. I think that alot of the trouble is coming from people using their PS3s with linux to generate gnodes* (check the CPU/OS stats page for Cell/linux, and see the start date).... Any chance some of you could try at home and see how high results you can get?

I, for one, slipped out of crunching with my AOne completely,
i no longer want to have the "Fear of Frying"(tm)

Anyway, since the RC5 effort was more or less "cancelled",
many ex-RC5'ers got back to OGR.
Before we didnt stand a chance and now we don't stand a
chance either - it's about showing the underdog has a sharp
teeth? Well, i think we did already - and will be in future
too, but not with showing off our systems...

And, the most important part is ...
one of distributed.net ads says:

Put your cpu cycles to good use!

Well, i do, i run Amiga OS4 with it

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique
I don't have a PS3, but The Orange Box was released for both it & the X-box 360 a week or two ago - and if it is anything like the PC version then it is VERY good. (And if you've never played Half-Life 2 before, then you are getting a fantastic deal - 5 games, totalling a nearly uncountable amount of playing time).

edit: Ignoring replay value & the excellent multi-player-only Team Fortress 2 game, you're getting something like 5.5+6.5+20+3 = 35 hours game time (just to complete it once).

Edited by ChrisH on 2007/12/28 0:09:45
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

i no longer want to have the "Fear of Frying"(tm)

Speaking of Frying...........

Graphics card just caught on fire...

I was sitting there.. la la..playing with my Ya Ya ...uhuh

I Was just learning the lead riff to Get Back - Beatles on my axe ( Using tabs off the internet) when....

Kerchunk - Screen went off

"ooer wtf is up with that ?"

investigates....

FkinEll... eyeballs a flame through the side grill.. Pulls kettle lead out....

Burnt 1

I assume that chip fell off ( it was lying on the bottom of the case) and overloaded something !!

Burnt 2

Anyone else had that happen ?

Good job I have an old X700 to make use of till I get something sorted !!

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

The PS3 version of the orange box is not as good as the 360 version, which again is not as good as the PC version. Valve would not touch the PS3 with a very long pole, so EA had some of the in-house guys do it with help from valve.

Portal has become something of a phenomenon, but the story of half-life 2 brings me back for more. can't wait for ep 3!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

get Uncharted. it has consistantly had very high marks, with most reviewers saying it is the best PS3 game there is.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
@Cyborg

Will get one, when they release another batch of backward
compatible consoles (sold out in Europe(?), till then i'll
have my ps2 and be happy with it).

Europe will only get more backwards compatible consoles if they find a batch somewhere. they will not make any more. rumours are that in a few years they will have finished their software ps2 emulator and have that as a firmware update, just like the ps1 emulator now.

Quote:

also i'm waiting for the best action-adventures/adventures
yet to hit the market

so thats uncharted then

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@derfs
I read a few reviews, and it seems that the PS3 version has a low frame rate in a *few* places (mainly nowhere critical), but some Frame-Per-Second junkies have blown it out of all proportion (mainly based on preview versions that were a lot worse).

But it seems that a lot of PS3 games suffer from lower frame rates, when compared to X-box 360 versions of the same games. I guess this is down to the fact that it's far harder to write for the PS3's CELL processor, when coders are used to writing for multi-core processors on the PC & X-box 360 (which is basically a PC in disguise). Not to mention that porting games to the PS3 is even harder, since such games were not designed with the CELL in mind.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

But ain't the Xbox 360 cpu a powerpc/cell based architecture?

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique
Yes & no: Yes the X-box 360 is PPC based, but not it does not use the CELL. Instead it uses a traditional multi-core approach (albeit PPC), which is instantly familiar to anyone using a PC. So using PPC just means you have to recompile (and take care of any endian issues).

Where-as, the CELL is one main CPU (i.e. 1 core) plus a load of less powerful ones (called SPUs). This is much harder to code for, because you can't just off-load any old CPU-heavy task to an SPU, because it would likely be too much for the less powerful SPU. The only way to really take advantage of the weaker (but more numerous) SPUs is to find CPU-heavy tasks that can be split into smaller jobs = harder & more coding work.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Quote:
ave only tested motorstorm,very cool game,gets a big - cos singleplayer only.

Motorstorm supports 12 player online multiplay (15 cars max), great fun, when you connect online the game will be updated to version 3.1 and some good additional content is available on the PSN store.

I've got (My top 10 thus far):

1) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
2) Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
3) Motorstorm
4) Resistance: Fall of Man
5) Super Stardust HD (PSN)

The above are IMO must own!

6) Warhawk (online required)
7) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
8) Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (PSN)
9) Snakeball (PSN)
10) Calling all Cars (PSN)

All these are amazing to pretty good games and perform solidly apart from Oblivion, which still looks and runs much better than the highly praised 360 version (720p resolution instead of 600p, longer draw distances, more content, less frequent framerate / loading slowdowns)

Oblivion isn't rock solid, but according to Berthesda: "Fallout 3?s Executive Producer Todd Howard - from Oblivion developer Bethesda - understands that PS3 ?has more than enough power. No single game is using it all yet - not even close?."
link

PS2 games I bought so far for my PS3:

1) God of War 2
2) God of War

IMO both God of War games are must own!

3) Jak 3
4) Ape Escape 2
5) Ape Escape 3

Edited by MikeB on 2008/1/6 21:57:33
Edited by MikeB on 2008/1/6 21:58:28
Edited by MikeB on 2008/1/11 22:48:31
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

The Cell isn't really that hard to develop for, but it takes some time and effort to break up legacy game engines into smaller parts to run on the SPEs seperately, some 360 ported games don't use them at all, but they are becoming rare. Genji 2, a great looking and solid running (albeit average game overall) early PS3 exclusive didn't use them neither according to the devs.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Keep an eye out for:

Resized Image

Go to top

Register To Post