Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 142

TheMagicSN, amigait, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »
Re: There is hope for OS4 on the Classic.
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

HI,

I see, there is a hope for OS 4 for my amiga :). Good when and where I can buy it :). If this will be cheaper than Win "Viste" Home I can even preorder, and I'm not kiding!

I'm sooooo happy that you work on that system. Some new fresh air in my computer. Soon this will be the oldest computer which has the newest system... think about that... run the Vista on 586 ;) :hahaha: I know there is "no" comparison...

Kreciu

PS. I really would like to have good www browser, I mean GOOD, like Firefox :) this is main program which all of us is using EVERY day, for EVERY think, www browser, I can pay for that :). Somethink like "office" would be useful too... And than I'm happy.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I would like to know how OS4 for CA will Ship. Do Acube intend a real CD with docs or downloadable as an ISO-file?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Alkaron

There will be a real CD with box and all.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rogue

Aww! I wanted a pretend CD!

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:
@Rogue

Aww! I wanted a pretend CD!

Well, in is quite easy:

1) Print out this SVG image http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Compact_disc.svg

2) Cut out the shape of the CD.

3) Flip it over and write "AmigaOS 4.0 for Classics" with an orange felt pen on top of it...

There you go, your pretended AmigaOS 4.0 for Classics CD

(edit: typo)
(edit2: Why do I need to wait 30 seconds just to edit a small typo???)

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just bought some classics in hope they make a new PPC card for OS4 to run on with them.

Edited by GreenMeanie on 2007/9/16 4:49:40
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@GreenMeanie

Yep, having seen the pics from Pianeta Amiga I'm looking forward to installing OS4 on my both Amigas PPC ;)

Let's hope it comes out soon!!!!!!!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Sir_Lucas

You can pre-order it here:

Price: 87,90euro

http://www.vesalia.de/e_amigaos4.htm

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Sir_Lucas

None of the hardware I own is on that list (oh, except for the Zipstik, which is working nicely on OS4 on my AmigaOne with an adapter )

I have no PPC card for my A1200 anyway, or any interest in running OS4 on it, but if I was I'd like to know if the Squirrel SCSI (PCMCIA) works, and if the 3c589 (3Com PCMCIA Ethernet) driver works.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

OS4 compatibility

Great at last to have a compatibility list, but what a big disappointment.

Great, there is support for an A1200 Mediator, and for PCI cards in it, but wait a bit, there is no support for any PCI card that requires DMA.

My words to Hyperion are, get the DMA access for PCI cards sorted out, this is ridiculous.

So which PCI cards are being supported.

Voodoo, ah yes, marvellous, 24bit graphics, but wait, no sound unless you buy or maybe already own a Terratec 128i PCI card, but wait, no there are problems with that, so nice graphics, but no sound.

OOooh that sounds like . . . oh no it doesn't sound like anything, as there will be NO SOUNDS, other than the built-in sound of the basic A1200, IF that works, which is not mentioned in the list.

What a giant step forward for AMIGA mankind, this OS4 is!

NO on-board BLIZZARD SCSI, NO Mediator PCI Soundblaster, NO PCI SCSI card support, also there's no USB support for the Spider card for the Mediator, besides that, basically the most popular Ethernet chip the RTL8139 PCI Ethernet is NOT supported in an A1200 Mediator board.

So you would have an up-to-date OS4 with access to maybe 4 IDE devices, and 24 bit graphics on an A1200 with a Mediator, THAT'S IT.

If it was not for the VooDoo card support I might as well just throw the Mediator card away for the support it gets from OS4.

The Soundblaster was the first soundcard to be supported for the Mediator, but wait a minute . . . NOT ANY LONGER.

Not even a mention of the Squirrel device.

So switch the machine on, look at the pretty pictures , and see how fast the machine boots . . . then re-boot it and have another look at that OS4, WOW . . that really was worth all the wait.

So I can sit at home look at a great OS, but not be able to use my USB digital camera, or SCSI scanner, or SCSI hard drives, or listen to any music, or even go online, unless I buy a network card that plugs into the PCMCIA card slot, and of course buy a 90 degree PCMCIA adapter so I can put it in my tower. Is this an improvement over using my PCI Ethernet card . . . I don't think so.

So the machine I have, with all the cards, Mediator based, and Blizzard/Phase 5 PPC, clockport and Squirrel that work on OS3.9 will no longer be functional, so I won't have SCSI, USB, Soundcard, TV/Radio, or Ethernet. Maybe none of the clockport cards will work either, but there is no mention of any devices that connect to the clockport.

This really is a great INCOMPATIBILITY list

How is anyone using OS4 going to use it with only 4 IDE devices connected to the machine? That's IF you are lucky to have an IDE add-on card supported, without work-arounds.

How long has this OS4 been worked on ? Absolute ages, and now 2 weeks before it is due to be available we are told that hardware that has been around for all this time is not supported, well not at the time of availability.

Frankly it's pathetic.

To me it feels as though Hyperion have got to a point where they are running out of cash after all their hard work, which I ought to say, CHEERS FOR THAT.

However, the Classic machine seems to have been turned to, as a last ditch attempt, to get this cash back, and in my opinion it seems as though it had never been thought of as going to be used seriously for OS4, had the new hardware been approved.

The work that has gone on apace with the Classic Amiga, seems to have happened over only a short space of time, the last few weeks. When in reality, their availability, and AMIGA owners have been there to test them for a few years. I have even offered my own machine for such Betatesting, but had no replies about the offer.

Had the software been made available, or the work been put in for the Classic machines to be supported, and then adapted to run the boards/devices available for the Classic machines, then maybe most or all of the available hardware for these machines would have been supported by OS4.

I have not seen or used OS4 as yet, and I have really been looking forward to getting my hands on it, but there is no point in doing so if there is basically no support for the hardware I have. I would like to give a much better appraisal of OS4's compatibility, but at this moment, to use the well known expression, . . IT SUCKS.

I am an Amiga fan, make no mistake. I have stuck through these hard times, like many, hoping for OS4 to appear. I dislike Microsoft and don't like the closed-shop of the Mac.

I expected to see a fully formed OS4 capable of running the hardware my machine has had installed for a few years, which with OS3.9 runs very well I might add, but to get to this mediocre point of support for the Classic machine is pitiful.

No, no, wait, don't be so hard on OS4 I keep telling myself, after all this is a NEW OS for the AMIGA.

NO it's not . . . it's been 4 years or more, in the waiting.

What kind of development has been made for the Classic machine if the only headway, in that time, has been the disappointing lack of support for much of the well established boards for the Classic machine.

I really don't think much, if any, time has been spent over the last 4 years, developing to support the Classic Amiga A1200, maybe not even the A4000.

All the while ACube, as now is, has developed a brand new board, with no problems it would seem, other than a licence to use it, for running OS4. Their board has USB 2, modern graphics, and high quality sound built-in, and yet, has only recently become available.

So a brand new board for OS4, with many modern devices built-in, cannot be used as it has no licence. Wheras the Classic Amiga that has been around for ages, with some modern hardware designed to work with the Classic architecture, will not properly be supported by the release of OS4.

In my opinion, it would be far better for OS4 to be delayed a little longer, yes I know it would be another delay, if it meant that the hardware support would be greatly improved, as the current compatibility is almost useless for anyone having a similar system to mine, which must be a lot of users with Classic machines with PPC boards.

For me, so far it is almost as much use as OS5.

You cannot imagine how much I do not want to have to make these remarks, as I want OS4 to be viable for me, and lots of other Classic users.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Catalist

You aparently dident read this thread.

Xeron stated that you still could use Elbox drivers, so that should fix youre problem for Mediator and the DMA problem.

There is still the issue with SCSI, its a problem now, but who know if a future BoingBag will fix that.

RWO

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

@moderators:

The Troll rating for Catalist is nearly 99,999% !

He postet the same nonsens [big partly exact the same] as
"another" [or the same] user post to this Topic on
Amiga.org.

He reg. here only to troll.

Most of his points was publical Loooong time !
[No G-Rex,No PCI DMA,...]

Only the non SCSI is a pitty [but publical loong time
to that the BPPC get more problems, specialy with
the SCSI] but already say in other Thread here.

So - please Remove Troll user that have ZERO interesst
on OS4 and bring no civilized discussion to an Amiga forum.

R-TEAM

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Catalist

Use an 8029 instead of 8139 card if you don't want to use PCMCIA. Its not like the 8139 ever went much faster than 10Mb/s in a Mediator 1200 anyway.

Nobody said that its impossible to get TV cards working under Mediator/OS4 either, its just that there are currently no native drivers for that. It might or might not work, at this point we don't know.

At least you actually can use network (8029), sound (terratec) and graphics (voodoo) in the mediator. Would you rather there was no support at all?

Besides, if you want, you can use the elbox 68k drivers. Just remove all OS4 native drivers for mediator cards and install them like on OS3.9, they even use the native Picasso96.

Theres no need to be so hostile about it, its not like hyperion owe you anything.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rwo

Once the new SDK is out, there will be nothing stopping anyone interested from having a go at writing a SCSI driver, or any other driver for that matter.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Catalist

(edit)

Deleted my post. No point in replying to this.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Rogue

Perhaps you could write an article (Article section here on amigans) describing why certain hardware isn't supported, why dma doesn't work, what can be done to get around it, alternative cards to use and so on. That is, describe the technical reasons, economical reasons etc.

That way we can point people to that article.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

That's too bad :(

Both my AmigasPPC are fully supported. Great !!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

I'd like to know if the Squirrel SCSI (PCMCIA) works, and if the 3c589 (3Com PCMCIA Ethernet) driver works.

The 3c589 driver does not work.
The cnet.device driver works.
AFAIK it is unknown if the squirrel driver works, I'm not
aware that somebody tested it. Any betatester with BPPC
and Squirrel here?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Catalist

The classic Amiga is over extended, it life span long passed it warranty period, personally don't think Hyperion should have spent this amount of time on supporting HW upgrades for some thing that where never designed to that expandable.

yes one can complain about HW support, personally think HW support list too long, and like you say at you end of comment, I agree whit you better to support new hardware, like Sam440, but we all know the issues whit that.

Personally I think Aminio (Amiga Inc nr. 1) / KMOS (Amiga Inc nr. 2) and ITec is one that making mess of the licensing and ownership.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »