Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

FlynnTheAvatar, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

X5000 No Boot with particular RX550 Card (SOLVED)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello all. I received an hardly-ever used Amiga X5000 recently.

At first, I checked all connections and then though it safe to power on. Just before powering it on, I connected my DVI connector to the RX550. I turned it on. No display at all.

I then swapped out the RX550 for a R7 250A (Oland). Again, a DVI connection. This time, the system runs fine.

Then, just to see if it made a difference, I tried the HDMI connector. It worked with the R7 250A again.

Now, I put back the RX550 and use the HDMI connection - but again, no output.

I have no idea what the seller has done in terms of setting up the hard drive. I have no reason to doubt what he said and it is clear that the machine works. So, I believe that this is a hardly-used X5000. Amiga OS 4 Update 2. Enhancer 2.1 with RadeonHD.chip: 3.7 and RadeonRX.chip 2.8.

Initially, the kicklayout contained all the usual stuff with the HD driver being loaded before the RX driver. None of those are commented out.

The seller also said that he was getting output with HDMI using the RX550.

When it comes to this RX550 I am stuck, and I am not sure how to get it working.

I am posting this thread to seek some help.

Edited by rjd324 on 2022/3/31 20:53:41
Edited by rjd324 on 2022/4/4 13:38:48
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: X5000 No Boot with particular RX550 Card
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rjd324

Just to rule out a faulty card: I have a Sapphire RX550 with 4 GB, and using the HDMI connector in my 5000, which works fine. Is yours a different brand/model? Up until your post, I had not heard of any 550 NOT working.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
The X5000 is fickle with video cards. I had trouble getting my Radeon HD 7850 to work, and I also had a Sapphire Radeon R9 280x Toxic that I never managed to get any output from.

Do you at least get the Uboot splash screen, or it there nothing at all?

I don't suppose you have access to a PC you could test it in?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
is the Full driver installed? You could have a demo version of it and or your screen/tv doesnt support the resolution. Had the same issue before

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@davew
Quote:

The X5000 is fickle with video cards. I had trouble getting my Radeon HD 7850 to work, and I also had a Sapphire Radeon R9 280x Toxic that I never managed to get any output from.

That strange, because from my side i instead have other way around results: all my RX cards i tried (5 of them) all works on x5000, and all HD hards (2 of them) i tried on x5000 works too.

@devils_advisor
Quote:

is the Full driver installed? You could have a demo version of it and or your screen/tv doesnt support the resolution. Had the same issue before

rjd324 says that "Amiga OS 4 Update 2. Enhancer 2.1 with RadeonHD.chip: 3.7 and RadeonRX.chip 2.8." So latest public radeonhd.chip and latest public radeonrx.chip, so those ones full ones.

@rjd324

Drivers will play only role with amigaos4 itself, but initially, RX card should show you UBOOT and stuff (X5000 logo after you power up machine).

If you have logo visibly and can hit "esc" to go to uboot and see it, then RX card by itself seems to be fine, cables fine, etc (at least we can say card is half working already then). And then issue left with drivers/screenmode/os4 settings (like forgotten kickstart module to load because not writte in kicklayout file by default, etc).

If you don't see any image when poweron machine, then mean something with card or the way it's connect, mean or you forget to attach power cables (rx card offten want power cable, and sometime even 2 of them) or something with gfx card itself.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Okay, actually there is ironic good news: the card does not work. It is good news because it now makes sense why I am not getting a display at all when pressing the power button.

I pulled out my windows machine, swapped the video card in there with the RX550 and no display. To be double sure, I then inserted the R7 250A (Oland) into the windows machine, and I got a display. In anycase, the VGA LED on the motherboard (my X86 windows motherboard) is continuously RED when the RX550 is inserted. I do repairs on things sometimes, but I am not expert. I looked for obvious shorts and inspected the circuit board and there are just no visable signs of damage, nor any capacitors (including SMD) that have been knocked off. Either it was somehow damaged in transit, even though it was very well packaged and does not look damaged at all, or the seller is not telling the truth about it working in the first place. I have no reason not to believe and no animosity towards the seller at all! I was going to buy a new X5000 motherboard anyway, and for the same price I got a full X5000 machine that clearly works. All good.

I guess it means that I shall either try and repair the card which is unlikely, or I shall buy a new RX card; suggestions please?

Lastly, since I was trying to get this to work I guessed that I needed to go into the KICKLAYOUT file and comment out the RadeonHD module! Silly, I know. It now means that even with my R7 250A (Oland) I can get the initial splash screen, but workbench will not load up; just a white screen.

Is there anyway to amend the kicklayout file? I am not sure if the SSD is using the NG filesystem, so I am not even sure that I could put that into my X1000 and fix it from there.

In summary:
- Suggestions for a new RX card
- How to amend a kicklayout file when I cannot get into Workbench

Thanks all.

Edited by rjd324 on 2022/3/31 20:54:15
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324
Quote:

or I shall buy a new RX card; suggestions please?

I have right now the card which is both not very hot and bring very decent results with all the stuff : "Radeon RX Polaris11" and the name from the shop was "Saphire PULSE RadeonRX 560 14CU 2G DDR5"

Quote:

Lastly, since I was trying to get this to work I guessed that I needed to go into the KICKLAYOUT file and comment out the RadeonHD module! Silly, I know. It now means that even with my R7 250A (Orland) I can get the initial splash screen, but workbench will not load up; just a white screen.

You need to have just 2 modules be loaded all the time, and forget about. I.e. your kicklayout (as i have now) will be:

Quote:

MODULE Kickstart/RadeonHD.chip
MODULE Kickstart/RadeonRX.chip

And you can just use the card you want, and necessary driver will loaded up. No needs to comment them out.

Quote:

- How to amend a kicklayout file when I cannot get into Workbench

You may try to load from x5000 CD (if you have CD?) then choose "boot to workbench" and then do what you need.

Alternatively you can on boot hold 2 mouse buttons, then when will go to boot menu choose "boot without startup-sequence", and then by "ED" change the stuff you need in kicklayout as well.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Thanks. I don't have a CDDVD drive, but I could easily install one. Clearly I prefer the two button approach, and I will just boot with no startup-sequence.

Thanks for the RX suggestion. But, before I go and buy yet another video card, are we able to watch 1080P movies yet? I ask because when I was first messing around with my new X5000 I was using the original HD card that the seller also put into the box. I also tried the R7 250A (Orland) card and I still witnessed the majority of the work being done by the CPU. I was under the assumption that Emotion/DVPlayer was able to start using the video card? If this only happens with RX then it is totally worth buying an RX card, but if I will not see much improvement, I could just keep the R7 250 in there.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:

If this only happens with RX then it is totally worth buying an RX card, but if I will not see much improvement, I could just keep the R7 250 in there.

Yeah currently only RX cards in public support hardware video decoding. SI cards will support it to when new drivers will be out, but they will be surely worse that RX ones (capability of GPU hardware video decoding of SI are worse that of RX).

And yep, all those big videos on RadeonRX plays with no CPU loading, see:

https://youtu.be/3N3Da7KYR84

For now i even tried on latest DvPlayer (54.9) and it plays with no cpu loading video which is h264, 3840 x 2160:

https://youtu.be/NCxi_L9B1SA

But don't forget, you will be in needs _manually_ set PowerManagment to HIGH to have decent perfomance with RadeonRX. By default it in some "middle" mode, so bad FPS in games and not good enough video playback. Just not forget it when will install new RX card.

As for whole perfomance exactly on amigaos4: RadeonRX there also faster than SI (even top one) in most cases (and in some even quite a lot faster).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rjd324

I have AmigaOne X5000/40 and graphics cards:

- Saphire Pulse Radeon RX 560 4GB GDDR5

- Asus Radeon RX 560 2GB GDDR5 OC Unplugged

- MSI Radeon RX 570 4GB GDDR5 Armor OC

They all work very well and decode videos with GPU & DVPlayer / Emotion.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324

Glad to hear you got an answer, either way.

If you're not keen on a DVD/CD drive, you can also make a bootable USB drive, although I'm not quite sure how as one came with my X5000. I also have a second bootable partition on my SSD; in an emergency, I can select it from uboot and boot from that.

I have had alot of problems with installing updates from both AEON and Hyperion, so I recommend a safe way of booting your machine as an absolute must.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

just for the curiosity. Has someone a RX580 gfx card successfully running, or are they not supported?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MigthyMax
Quote:

Has someone a RX580 gfx card successfully running, or are they not supported?

Yes, i have one. RX580 supported and works as expected. Back in times there were some issues with, which were fixed year ago or so, and now all the correct drivers in public and everything ok in terms of 580 as well

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The 560RX arrived and everything works. 1080p video etc. Great.

Now I just need to buy a white fractal r4 (possibly higher revision) that goes along with the great X1000 case. Anyone want to swap?

George Orwell.
Go to top

Register To Post