Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

JAmiga tweety-bird
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I just have to share this tweet with you:
https://twitter.com/jaokim2001/status/347070288384634880

There's more than just the 140 characters...

Maintainer and developer for Jamiga2 - Java for Amiga
Go to top
Re: JAmiga tweety-bird
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Superb work, congrats.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
always good to see when developers works step by step and reach their goals. will be -very- interesting to test. i follow blog from begining and its all done good: native aos shared libs and co. should be fast and nice imho

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
should be fast and nice imho

Don't keep your hopes up on the first version though...

I'm going to disable my very slow debug outputs, but it still is the ordinary interpreted version compiled in. Haven't touched the JIT or looked at any of the other optimizations available. But in coming version I will of course see into that.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim

Nicely done!

Quote:

jaokim wrote:
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
should be fast and nice imho

Don't keep your hopes up on the first version though...

I'm going to disable my very slow debug outputs, but it still is the ordinary interpreted version compiled in. Haven't touched the JIT or looked at any of the other optimizations available. But in coming version I will of course see into that.

IMHO, having a fully working JVM is more important than speed. In fact, I'd rather have working AWT & Swing before JIT, as there's only so much that can be done without the GUI toolkits. JIT can come later.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim

Two more wee^H^H^Htweets ?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

Hans wrote:
IMHO, having a fully working JVM is more important than speed. In fact, I'd rather have working AWT & Swing before JIT, as there's only so much that can be done without the GUI toolkits. JIT can come later.

I agree. Get everything working first, and then optimise for speed.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Btw, is there ppc jit for java done already and only need adapting ? Or its need to be done from scratch ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
A very good news

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
Btw, is there ppc jit for java done already and only need adapting ? Or its need to be done from scratch ?

JamVM has PPC JIT already, so in the best case it should be enoguh to enable a flag in config.h. My plan is to get thefirst usable beta out of the way, and finish the bounty. Then I'll look into stuff like JIT, see what kind of other important applications we don't have that will work with the current version has support for. Swing and AWT is, I fear, a rather big thing to get done. I should be able to use QT, I think. As for AWT, its relatively seldom used, and we'd actually be better of with something like SWT which is used in Eclipse and NetBeans IIRC.
Furthermore, before putting huge amounts of efforts into GNU Classpath, I'd prefer to focus on OpenJDK,which would give us Java 8 amd beyound, where GNU CP only has Java 5, and development is low (much due to OpenJDK).
Any work done on JamVM and JIT benefits both OpenJDK and GNU CP.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jaokim

Quote:

Swing and AWT is, I fear, a rather big thing to get done

Sadly, as in general all that "gui" stuff is what is cool in end of all if it will.

Anyway, while its too early to worry, but:

Quote:

I should be able to use QT

Imho non-go, because QT for now have some issue:

1. speed
2. non native look
3. bugs there and there
4. sobjes (not really shared => slow on every startup).

But that for sure to early to worry :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kas1e

1. The speed of the current beta isn't too bad. You're going to need reasonable hardware to benefit from Java anyway, so I doubt this is going to be much of an issue.
2. I don't think I've seen a Java app on any platform that actually looks native.
3. There are going to be bugs anyway.
4. This is an OS problem, not really a Qt one.

It will be much less work to port an existing Qt-using AWT/Swing/whatever. Whilst it might not be the best solution in the long run, for an initial version it absolutely is. Creating a custom one that direct uses Intuition can come later.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
1. speed

Yes but is alfa/beta, speed comes later.

Quote:
2. non native look

Don't get that, QT has QT look becouse it's QT.
Just like Gadtools has Gadtools look becouse it's Gadtools.

Quote:
3. bugs there and there

This will improve whit time.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joakim

Very nice progress!

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Great. You're da man!
It's wonderful to see this Java beast growing

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
congratulations! and thanks for this work! :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
Quote:

This is an OS problem, not really a Qt one.

Sure, but we talk about final users expedience. And as QT use a lot of big fat sobjs which is not really shared because of how they done, its still will give in end slower loading of java as well. Will you use it if for running some swing based app it will take 20-30 seconds ? Jaokim already made all of his work with native libs and co, so re-use QT with slow sobjes loading will kill pluses of how Jaokim's work done, and will put it on the same way of slow software which only brave will use.

Currently QT is not ready to be used as it, do not saying that if something will be based on top of it, it will be unusable in end.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
Sure, but we talk about final users expedience. And as QT use a lot of big fat sobjs which is not really shared because of how they done, its still will give in end slower loading of java as well. Will you use it if for running some swing based app it will take 20-30 seconds ? Jaokim already made all of his work with native libs and co, so re-use QT with slow sobjes loading will kill pluses of how Jaokim's work done, and will put it on the same way of slow software which only brave will use.

Currently QT is not ready to be used as it, do not saying that if something will be based on top of it, it will be unusable in end.

AFAIK, the Swing toolkit renders its own gadgets, and hence has no need for Qt in the first place. What it needs is native implementations for the base windowing and 2D graphics classes (e.g., JWindow, Graphics2D). Both of those items could easily be implemented using OS4 libraries.**

AWT, on the other hand, uses the native gadgets. Given its age and limits, it should have no trouble using the native GUI toolkit (Reaction or MUI). In fact, this is what the original JAmiga project did. It had a partial AWT implementation, as can be seen in its screenshots.

Hans

IIRC, the native implementations that Swing depends on are mostly part of the AWT library. For example, Graphics2D is an AWT component, and JWindow is a child-class of AWT's Window class.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim

Just following on from my reply to kas1e

Quote:

jaokim wrote:
Swing and AWT is, I fear, a rather big thing to get done. I should be able to use QT, I think. As for AWT, its relatively seldom used, and we'd actually be better of with something like SWT which is used in Eclipse and NetBeans IIRC.

As I told kas1e, Swing renders its own gadgets using the Java 2D API. AFAIK, it is 100% Java, with no native components. A partial AWT implementation (just the windowing and 2D graphics classes) should be enough to get it up and running.

Qt is a poor fit for this; you're better off using native OS4 libraries.

As for SWT, it's entirely your call whether Swing or SWT have a higher priority. Having said that, my understanding is that SWT is an Eclipse team project, and not an official part of Java.

Quote:
Furthermore, before putting huge amounts of efforts into GNU Classpath, I'd prefer to focus on OpenJDK,which would give us Java 8 amd beyound, where GNU CP only has Java 5, and development is low (much due to OpenJDK).
Any work done on JamVM and JIT benefits both OpenJDK and GNU CP.

I agree. Classpath made sense before OpenJDK came along. Now it's better to switch. There's no point in doing lots of work on Classpath native implementations if they're going to be dumped when switching to OpenJDK.

Hans

Edited by Hans on 2013/6/20 23:11:58
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Hans wrote:
As for SWT, it's entirely your call whether Swing or SWT have a higher priority. Having said that, my understanding is that SWT is an Eclipse team project, and not an official part of Java.

Yes you are perfectly right SWT is an Eclipse project, but more and more projects adopt it because instead of going full Java (like AWT and Swing) it's using the underlying OS gadgets facilities. Due to that it gains more speed and reactivity and as it's already available on all three major OSes people assume it's portable.

IMHO SWT is only required if one is developing a Desktop application that needs to compete with native applications user wise and with native look. And if you think AWT and Swing are huge tasks then SWT is way above that. That's because more aspects needs to be tied to the native libraries and it's almost certain that our current toolkits will miss some capabilities that we have to be emulated somehow (which in the end defeats the goal of using native components...)

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top

Register To Post