Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Looks like the sam is selling good?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Looks like the sam is selling well,seems they're empty at vesalia and amigakit. I hope this will be good for us amiga lovers....

X5000
Go to top
Re: Looks like the sam is selling good?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

Yeah this is good...Now wait for new board from ACube...wiht new design and CPU ;)

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich

Warp - Croatian Amiga portal
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@VooDoo

Yes,hoping for that so the rest of the a1 users will upgrade and others join the camp.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

I'm a long-time A1200 user who was itching to buy a SAM. However, in July, I had the opportunity to buy a 2nd hand A1, and jumped for that instead.

Some of the reading I did suggested that people felt the A1 was better, except for the USB 2. Does anyone want to comment on that?

I'm currently having an extention put on my house so buying a 2nd computer (3rd if you still count the 1200 ;) ) is out of the question right now, but maybe if ACube still have units to sell next year I'd take a look.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

Since i don't have a sam,but have 2 A1's. Have read that people are very happy with their sam's. I'm happy with my A1's. My XE broke down so i'm using the SE now. Missing the usb but other than that i'm quite happy with it. I'd like to have a sam too someday And they're probably available next year too.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw

AmigaONE-XE vs SAM440ep = CPU vs RAM speed.

AmigaONE-XE has faster CPU, Sam440ep has faster RAM.
AmigaONE-XE can be expanded,

AmigaONE-XE has lots of hw bugs, but they can be fixed.

* USB1.1 bug
(Missing 13K ohm resistors for +D,-D signals)

* IRQ Signal bug.
(3COM vs VIA686b)

* Batteri bug
(AmigaONE dies when batteri is empty)

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@daveyw

For me, the SAM offers a few advantages over my A1XE - namely power consumption, noise and size. I don't need the better CPU or expandability of the A1, which is I trend I've found for my other computers. I seem to be drifting to smaller, quieter and more energy efficient systems. Apart from the A1, everything I have set up on the desk is pretty much silent now

Professional Python and SQL Developer / BASI 2 Snowboard Instructor
Amigan since 1990: AmigaOne XE / A4000/030 / A500
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Antique,

Is the AmigaOne fixable?

Hi LiveForIt,

One really big advantage of the A1-XE is the Altivec, and a huge advantage is that it's possible to put a 1.3 GHz G4 in there!!!! The internal cache is a small compensation for dreadfully slow ram access on such a fast CPU as 1.3 GHz represents.

Also, there ARE HW fixes for the problems. BUT, it's a costly and LONG time to implement the fix, and risky as well, involving long distance shipping. !!!!!

On top of it all, ibm did pretty much a criminal offense against us, by NOT making a RELIABLE companion chip that COULD handle DDR1 ram, and AGP 4x and 8x and control more than 2 PCI slots!

They expected to sell millions upon millions of CPUs with NO SUPPORT WHATSOEVER!

Big corporations can be total #^&$ (@#&@%s!

While the Sam as is, is better than nothing, we REALLY need 1 Gig and Altivec as minimum. And I wouldn't buy anything slower than 1.7 GHz, unless it was 1 GHz with 2 CPUs, as I currently have an 800 MHz XE.

And, AGP? That's a dead interface! But, I do want 1 PCI slot.

256 Megs of video ram is a minimum nowadays.

Sorry for being so negative.

But, it IS better than the nothing we had before now.

Hope a 1+ GHz is out sooner rather than later.

GO ACUBE GO!!!!!!!!

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:
One really big advantage of the A1-XE is the Altivec, and a huge advantage is that it's possible to put a 1.3 GHz G4 in there!!!! The internal cache is a small compensation for dreadfully slow ram access on such a fast CPU as 1.3 GHz represents.
Is it possible to upgrade a G3 cpu card to a 1.3ghx G4?
My A1XE is a G3 800mhz, and I would love a 1.3ghz upgrade.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Swoop

AFAIR the G3 boards are different to the G4, so the answer is no.

Simon

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

I was about to answer the same, IIRC G3 and G4 pinouts are different, so are the CPU modules. However an A1 (SE/XE/micro) can use either module.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@abalaban

Quote:
IIRC G3 and G4 pinouts are different, so are the CPU modules. However an A1 (SE/XE/micro) can use either module.
So it is possible to get a G4 module?
Oh! and from where?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

Quote:
However an A1 (SE/XE/micro) can use either module.

And doing nitpicking. SE has soldered CPU, no module.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Swoop wrote:

My A1XE is a G3 800mhz, and I would love a 1.3ghz upgrade.

Hi Swoop,

G3??? All AmigaOne XE's are supposed to have 800 MHz G4's (but most; all? are 933 MHz parts), I thought.

Quote:
Swoop wrote:

Yes..... and no.

Quote:
From ACube website:

The repair service of modules with G3 processor family will be activated if a sufficient number of demands is received.

Also, I made a slight error:
Quote:
From ACube website:

ACube Systems offers a replacement service for broken CPU on AmigaOne XE/Teron PX and MicroA1/Teron Mini motherboards processor modules.

The broken CPU will be removed and replaced with one of the following CPUs:
- 7457 @ 1 Ghz - 512 Kb 2nd level cache
- 7457 @ 1.267 Ghz - 512 Kb 2nd level cache

It's just about 1.3 GHz.

Quote:
Swoop wrote:

Okay, so if you actually have an XE motherboard, they may be able to put in a 1.267 GHz G4?!?

Quote:
Swoop wrote:

Oh! and from where?

http://www.acube-systems.biz/eng/cpumodule.php

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

But, no respect friend, who wants to spend lots of cash upgrading a crappy old board like the A1's (and yes, I own one too.)

The SAM looks sexier, more compact, better-made. Yes there are cpu power issues, but to be honest it seems like a more slick system with on-board gfx memory and memory bottlenecks taken care of - I would like to see faster versions, and if people buy systems now, I have no doubt we will these faster boards. Amiga might be hobbyist, but I think we'll see more users joining us and that can never be a bad thing...

Fingers crossed.

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:
G3??? All AmigaOne XE's are supposed to have 800 MHz G4's (but most; all? are 933 MHz parts), I thought.
Mine was one of the first from Eyetech, and initially the G4's were delayed, and Eyetech phoned me (and others) and asked if I would be happy with a G3 and get my A1 straight away, or wait about 3 months for the G4 version. I decided to go for the G3 option.

Quote:
Swoop wrote:

Okay, so if you actually have an XE motherboard, they may be able to put in a 1.267 GHz G4?!?

......snip....

oh! and from where?
http://www.acube-systems.biz/eng/cpumodule.php [/quote]

I'll send them an email, and see.

Thanks for the input.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rudei

Quote:
But, no respect friend, who wants to spend lots of cash upgrading a crappy old board like the A1's (and yes, I own one too.)
At least the A1 is upgradeable/expandable, and at the moment the Sam is a similar machine to my A1, so I have no reason to get one.

Quote:
The SAM looks sexier, more compact, better-made. Yes there are cpu power issues, but to be honest it seems like a more slick system with on-board gfx memory and memory bottlenecks taken care of - I would like to see faster versions, and if people buy systems now, I have no doubt we will these faster boards. Amiga might be hobbyist, but I think we'll see more users joining us and that can never be a bad thing...

Fingers crossed.

Rude!
I can't disagree with your opinion of the Sam, but there would have to be an upgrade, rather than a like for like machine, for me to justify the expense.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
To anyone reading my slightly negative comments, please don't doubt for a second, that had I missed the boat and not gotten my precious AmigaOne XE G4 (with 2 Gigs of ram), that I would definitely get a Samantha!

AmigaOS4.x TOTALLY RULES!!!!!

I have to use xp because there are things AOS has no SW support for yet, and let me tell you, it NEVER EVER EVER fails to disappoint!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

Absolutely, there is no need for an A1 user to buy one (unless they want one) as the SAM doesn't offer much/any enhancement over the existing system.

For a new OS4.x user, the SAM is a nice bit of kit. It seems better designed, more robust etc.

@Athiest

I don't think anyone can accuse you of being "anti-OS4"

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rudei

Quote:

@Athiest

I don't think anyone can accuse you of being "anti-OS4"

Rude!

Ya think?

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »