Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

The Amiga Samba Support Thread
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
With the almost semi-restoration of the Amiga Samba for Idiots website, this is now the official support thread.

Please post all your Amiga Samba related questions on here and myself and others will try to help. Please note that I wrote the site as an aide memoire as well as to help other Amiga users, I am not an expert on Samba, but will try and help as much as I can.

Cheers.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Re: The Amiga Samba Support Thread
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mikey_C
That's a very impressive guide to three machine network... Kudos!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

Hi Mikey,
Well done for your rescue effort, it's a really
good guide.
I might just have a copy of it on a CD. If so, I'll
upload it to you for the missing files.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello everyone,
I recently set up Samba on my SAM and on my A1200 using Mikey C's very useful guide. I've just got a couple of problems:
On my network the SAM running os4.1 can ping the A1200, the two PC's and the wireless router on the network. It can also mount PC shares with smbfs but as far as the A1200 and the PC's are concerned it is invisible! The SAM can't be pinged or located by any of the other machines. I keep checking that all the IP and workgroup details are correct and they are. I just don't understand it.
There must be some setting or other I'm missing, does anyone have any idea what it is?

The other problem I'm experiencing is transfering files to the PC's from the SAM is painfully slow. Transfers in the opposite direction (PC to SAM) are much much faster. Is this related to my first problem or something different?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rudi

P.S. Sorry to make my first post a request for help but I'm getting really frustrated with this thing.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Ruud

Hmm, just irritating why the SAM won't be pinged. I can't think of any reason why this would be the case. Just to check, have you given the sam a manual IP address?

Edit: can you ping your sam's ip address from your SAM?

Edited by Mikey_C on 2008/12/16 9:53:42
Mikey C

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

I thought when I tried before that it could ping itself but when I tried last night it failed. I've set the ip address in smb.conf and put an entry in the hosts list. I am starting to get the feeling that I haven't set it somewhere else that I'm supposed to. Is this the case? (how embarrasing if so!)

Thanks,
Rudi.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Ruud

er good question - hmm I'll get back to you when I get home tonight

Mikey C

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

I think I may have roadshow set to use a dynamic ip rather than a static one although I couldn't say exactly where that setting is! I wish I had remote desktop set up so I could check! But then again it wouldn't work

I might try setting up a new connection. That way I can make sure everything is right from scratch.

Thanks,
Rudi.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Ruud

Quote:

Ruud wrote:
@Mikey_C

I think I may have roadshow set to use a dynamic ip rather than a static one although I couldn't say exactly where that setting is!

Prefs/Internet->Interfaces->double-click on the interface (or click Edit).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

Thanks, just worked that out before I read your post!

Right, progress has been made. The PC can now ping the SAM and lists it as part of the work group. But if I try and access the share it fails to connect. An error message comes up saying it may not have permission to use the network resource and that the semaphore timeout period has expired.
I haven't got any passwords or security set.
The SAM and A1200 can read the contents of each others shares using the smbclient command. Is this evidence that samba is properly installed? The PC has similar problems with the A1200 as it has with the SAM so maybe it is the PC that isn't set up right?

Cheers,
Rudi.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ruud
I have the same kind of problem than you.

I can ping PC from SAM
I can ping SAM from PC.
PC can see SAM in the network but cannot access it saying I don't have the permission/rights to access this path and in the same windows it saying that the requested path is not available.

EDIT : I've spend near to 3hours to find the correct configuration and it now works perfectly :)
I can explore Amiga from my PC Win XP Pro computer :)
I'm not sur of what makes this possible.
Here are some steps of what I did :

1. On PC Computer:
- I resetted my Antivirus firewall to redefine every exceptions (BitDefender antivirus)
- I disabled windows firewall
- I set TCP/IP to default for both local network and 1394 connection. (set WINS to default in Advanced settings)
- I've also used the password clear requested (apparently it did nothing)

2. On Amiga OS 4.1 [Sam440ep]:
- Prefs Internet :
- Interfaces : Use static IP ON
IP : 192.168.0.47
mask : 255.255.255.0
- Interfaces : Try a dynamic config (DHCP) on.
Host name : AmigaOS4
- Routes : no routes defined.
- Hosts : 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain
192.168.0.4 mypccomputername PC
- Domains servers : my two internet provider DNS
- Services : I've changed nothing from what there was
- Servers : the 3 defined as mentionned in the samba for beginners website and the 3 with "use socket stream E/S' disabled
- Samba/lib/smb.conf : defined as mentionned in the website with:
- workgroup = workgroup name from my pc computer
- interfaces = My Amiga IP / 255.255.255.0
- all others options defined like in the website.
- DEVS/Internet/Users : i've added the line NAME=mypccomputer name UID=500 GID=500 samba=noshell (the 2 first line were already here)
- DEVS/Internet/Services : all lines to add were already here.

I hope these informations will help someone else make it possible with his/her network.

Edited by freddix on 2009/3/15 11:03:33
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
A downloadable version of the guide would be mutch usefull, anyone ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I can mount Windows shares just fine using SMBFS, but it has a file access size limitation of 4GB, and has trouble with files that start with a dot.

Does anyone know if you can mount Windows shares on OS4 using Samba instead?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

the smbfs link in the troubleshooting section is missing, and there's a comment about removed file one section above that is seems relevant to the link....

And I think that keeping up with the latest Olaf's release of smbfs from sourceforge should be permanently plastered there as a requirement (that. for example, solves issues with linux' hosted filesystems under samba server>=3.2)

Besides that guide is great starting point.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top

Register To Post