Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

jarokuczi, kas1e, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Another Open Source web browser to port :-)
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Google launches their own web browser:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7593106.stm

Go to top
Re: Another Open Source web browser to port :-)
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Start working

X5000
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Chris

Based on both firefox AND webkit.

Half way there then? ;)

( http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html )

Edited by orgin on 2008/9/2 21:45:47
Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

It's very good. I've installed it on Vista on my Macbook at work and it's faster than IE and seems pretty light-weight.

It even has fastlinks like ibrowse!! Wow!!

If this could be ported to Amiga it would be amazing.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

Posting from chrome now... seems quite nice.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
It's much faster than Firefox3 here...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I've said it before, which is, it seems as though there's a glut of AOS internet web browsers.

I've been using AWeb forever, well only since I've gotten my AmigaOne and it's the first Amiga browser experince I've ever had.

I've used the limited IBrowse that came with AOS4. I like it quite a bit too. I tried to buy a key for it, but they couldn't provide me with one. I prefer genuine AOS constructed browsers, and software as well. It responds quicker and is usually MUCH smaller. Aweb starts so quick it's almost instant.

I'm quite happy with it, but it isn't upto date, as far as what's needed for the full web experience.

It has crashed almost not at all, compared to my FireFox 1 and 2 installs. Seriously, AOS4 crashes before AWeb does. I've had it run 27 days, then AOS4 locks up. The keyboard and mouse are no longer acknowleged, but dnetc, and the clock keep working. A script in the background with even the window it runs in turned off, also kept the time current. One time when I could see the dnetc OGR25 being calculated and the network connection was shut down (seems to happen when the keyboard and mouse cease to work), I waited for the last packet I had left to be loaded and waited to see if when it was done if an internet connection could be opened for updating, but it could not as the connection was severed.

I wonder if there's a script that could be written that would run in the background to reconnect to the internet if the connection is severed. This just to see if when the keyboard and mouse are no longer usable, if the ethernet socket is also disabled when the AOS lockup happens. I wonder if there's a counter and when it overflows, then the KB and mouse are inactive, it would be like the Y2K bug of windos.

My longest uptime was 32 days 19 hours.

These are my 4 longest uptimes.

System has been up since 16-Oct-07 20:38:22 (total uptime 26 days, 16:14:10)
System has been up since 27-Mar-08 06:41:00 (total uptime 27 days, 23:26:21)
System has been up since 29-Apr-08 09:38:48 (total uptime 29 days, 15:22:18)
System has been up since 15-Jun-08 03:06:43 (total uptime 32 days, 19:15:54)

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
Based on both firefox AND webkit.
No, it's a WebKit browser. No idea what, if anything (WebKit itself includes parts from various sources incl. Mozilla), they took from FireFox, but nothing major related to the web engine.

Quote:
Half way there then? ;)
The only major difference to all other WebKit browsers is that they replaced the WebKit JavaScriptCore by the V8 VM, which only supports x86 and ARM CPUs. The rest is basically the same as in the other WebKit browsers (implementing the platform specific parts, in Chrome currently Windows-only), or even similar to OWB (abstraction layer between WebKit and the own parts, but unlike in OWB not with the goal to make it more portable). Additionally there are some parts which are impossible and/or don't make any sense on AmigaOS like the sandbox (AmigaOS has no different security levels) or using processes instead of threads (both are the same on AmigaOS). It includes next to nothing which could be ported to AmigaOS, for example the GUI would have to be rewritten from scratch.

The only part which helps for AmigaOS as well is that now 2 big companies are working on WebKit, like the Apple changes the Google ones will improve all WebKit browsers, incl. OWB. Additionally, if it's successful, more sites which currently only work with IE and/or FireFox will be fixed to work with WebKit browsers as well.

Quote:Nice test page for the OWB memory trashing bugs as it always crashes here

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@joerg

It .. was .. a .. joke.

Quote:

Nice test page for the OWB memory trashing bugs as it always crashes here

Perhaps Google is trying to say something ;)

Edited by orgin on 2008/9/3 21:38:56
Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Chrome is the Firefox killer.
FF3 is so slooow compared to Chrome. Wow, in 6 months for now, we won't hear FF mentioned anymore....

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

So Chris, take it Google gave you a bell and you're all over it?

Keep up the good work on NetSurf my friend.

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rudei

Yep, already have it running here. Unfortunately I'm unable to release it yet as it will require new features present in OS6.

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Elwood

Quote:

Elwood wrote:
Chrome is the Firefox killer.
FF3 is so slooow compared to Chrome. Wow, in 6 months for now, we won't hear FF mentioned anymore....

You should really think twice, or at least read more, before writing such cristal-ball sentence.
I suggest you begin with this link for example, and then go to this other one.

Then rethink.

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

Have you guys read about the EULA?

http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chr ... from-blog-posts-to-emails
Quote:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

That is being changed but what a load of bull.

http://gizmodo.com/5045050/google-upd ... me-eula-to-be-less-creepy
Quote:

Google has responded with haste to the huge outcry about a section in Chrome's EULA that gives Google "a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license" to do all kinds of dirty stuff?in public no less?to content you post through Chrome. Rebecca Ward, Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome, told Ars that it's actually an oopsie from basically copying and pasting the same EULA it uses in other products, and that they're updating it as fast as they can to remove the ridiculous terms.
Quote:

She says that Google is

"working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome."

I hope this realy was just an oopsie and not a sign of worse things to come.

Go to top

Register To Post