Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
74 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Silicon Dreams 2013 and AmigaOS
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
So it looks like A-Eon and Varisys has been busy behind the scenes, and worked hard on TWO new motherboards.

A Micro ATX and a Full ATX

Here are pictures of both boards on A-Eon Facebook site

This is really good news for AmigaOS who seems to have the upper hand regarding new HW choices atm.

Edited by Hondo on 2013/7/7 8:00:20
X1000 - One Amiga to rule them all...
Go to top
Re: Silicon Dreams 2013 and AmigaOS
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I was posting on the Amigans.net news item, but might as well do it in this thread instead. Just to repeat what I said there:

The two Cyrus boards were the first & second prototypes (the second barely being finished in time for the show). Trevor told me some specs, but I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to mention them (me being a beta-tester with NDA), so I need to check that. However, it sounded like they've got some flexibility/choice on which CPU they eventually end-up using anyway.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Trevor was happy for me to mention the specs WHICH ARE NOT YET FINALISED AND COULD CHANGE:

Cyrus will have a 5020 CPU, which is dual core, and runs at 2GHz. It takes DDR3 RAM.

Eventually it should also run a 5040, which is pin-compatible, quad-core, and runs at 2.4GHz. (This CPU is very new, so they are awaiting pricing, availability, etc.) So the Cyrus design should last a long time.

They hope to start beta-testing it by AmiWest, but it won't be on sale for a long time (perhaps a year or more).

It will require entirely new motherboard drivers, but at least for beta-testing they will likely use PCI(-E?) cards for sound & networking.

Cyrus is planned to be a full ATX formfactor, but they MAY also do a smaller version (undecided).

Edited by ChrisH on 2013/7/7 10:24:42
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
So in the end, one board, not two?

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mr2
Please read my last paragraph:

Quote:
Cyrus is planned to be a full ATX formfactor, but they MAY also do a smaller version (undecided).

The first prototype was the smaller board, the second prototype was the full-sized ATX board. So there COULD be two boards, it isn't decided yet. No doubt they will eventually have one board with different CPU options (e.g. dual-core & quad-core).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Ok, I've missed "may also" part

Estimated price? Any mention except cheaper than Nemo?

Thanks

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mr2
No definitve price as far as I know (too early), but someone on AW.net someone said it will be more expensive than Sam460 but cheaper than X1000.

But it won't be available for some time (maybe a year or more?).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Ok, thanks Chris.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Me likey very much

Me am needing more new hardware

and possible specifications sound very promising

1 of each or 2 of 1 I say

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
We are all looking to play Multi-player CUBE (avail on OS4Depot) very shortly at VCF - Bet I loose! :)

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Hi All,

I just wanted to write down my last ever thoughts on an event organised by myself involving the Amiga.

Venue, Silicon Dreams/VCF 2013, Snibston Discovery Museum Coalville, Leicester. (UK)

First of all A big thank you to Simon Hewitt & His support crew, who organised the event of which the Amiga area was a small part.

Secondly, a big thank you to the Amiga North Thames Crew who managed to attend and help out over the entire weekend.
Chris H, Mike Woods, Andy Costin & Raoul Penel (Swisso).

In addition thank you to Amigakit's Matt and Chris, brilliant to catch up with you again! But I think for sheer support, it has to all go to Trevor Dickinson of A-EON who flew from the other side of the planet to be at this event.

The event itself, well, to say that the event was well attended, would be stretching things, in truth, I think the british weather ruined it!

Lets face it, Silicon Dreams came up against one of the hottest, sunniest weekend on the whole year. So naturally a lot of people (I can't say I blame them) decided to make the most of it outdoors and not spend the day at an indoor event.

Sunday was by far the busiest day of the lot, I want to thank all the Amiga users (regardless of the flavour) who came up from all corners of the UK to say hi, Thanks to the former SEAL crew, (Esp Robert & Elliot) Hi to Michael & Marcus and a few other's whose name escapes me. In addition special thanks to Sven Harvey for his endless plug about the event on MicroMart Magazine - Cheers!!!

As you would all know by know the two new Amiga prototypes were unveiled and that has already been discussed. For me personally the highlight of the weekend was having a FIVE way Multi-player fest of Hyperion's Freespace game this consisted of...
1x MicroA1-c
1x MicroA1-b
1x SAM 440
1x AmigaOne XE
and Chris from Amigakit on A-Eon's own AX1000 Monster machine! the whole thing was a blast, I am sure the whole of the museum shook to the sound of Shivans getting pounded left right and centre from the 5 AmigaOS4.1 machines! Fun times!!!

And so, I hang up my UK Amiga organising skills. It has been fun, but I honestly feel that I am getting out at the right time for me.

Last but not least a special Mention to Ravi (Rats) for representing the MOS side of things.

Now, its up to someone else.

Mikey C

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey C

Even though I never had the honor of attending one of the shows you organised, I wish to thank you for doing it.

I think the shows are VERY important for the Amiga scene. It makes it all much more fun, and brings people together who would never have met if not for the shows.

So sit back and rest assured you helped not only the amiga scene in england, but also the general scene. We're many people in europe watching EVERYTHING from these shows.

Way to go man

Now maybe with all that lovely sparetime, you could make Amigans.net a little more userfriendly. Like for instance putting a @mickey_c in, when clicking reply you know...the small things like the missing home button in the end of every thread. Perhaps even a new design?

Just some small suggestions now that you've "retired"

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
Now maybe with all that lovely sparetime, you could make Amigans.net a little more userfriendly. Like for instance putting a @mickey_c in, when clicking reply you know...

I added that way back - the patch must have been missed when the site was updated. I'll nudge walkero.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

thank you

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The Breezin' slogan that Trevor refers to, is it an homage to the B52 love that the Commodore guys had for etching on Amiga motherboards?

A500 Rock Lobster
A600 June Bug
A1200 Channel Z

B52s Breezin' http://www.metrolyrics.com/breezin-lyrics-b52s.html

Also, it seems Miley Cyrus and the B52s have been engaged in a long legal spat over song similarities! Hmmm any Amiga Inc / Hyperion similarities are purely coincidental LOL

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ddni

Thanks now that sounds right. Wonder if this is all there is to it ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Great picture of Cyrus+ motherboard

http://oi43.tinypic.com/1zbtlk9.jpg

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

Hondo wrote:
Great picture of Cyrus+ motherboard

http://oi43.tinypic.com/1zbtlk9.jpg

Very nice!

I can't wait to get my hands on one of those. Time to ring up Matthew...

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Ah, a properly detailed pictured at last. Thanks!

Cyrus, you are a handsome piece of kit. Wonder what kind of case you will live in... Customized Fractal Design R4 like the current X1000 batch or something else?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ddni

As interesting as the song reference is, I think that the most interesting item on the silkscreen is the SD-Card port label:
Quote:

BOOT SD

REMOVE AT RISK OF DEATH

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »