Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Why not Amiga OS 4 on Intel/AMD + Nvidia/ATI hardware?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is there any chance that Amiga OS 4 will get ported to the Intel/AMD Nvidia/ATI hardware platform in the near future?

I can not see any reason why it should run on an obsolete hardware platform like the Amiga One.

Also: There is a much much broader market for Amiga OS 4 on Intel/AMD, Nvidia/ATI since almost everyone run such hardware.

Yours sincerely/

Ludde.

Go to top
Re: Why not Amiga OS 4 on Intel/AMD + Nvidia/ATI hardware?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ludde

Nope.

Quote:
I can not see any reason why it should run on an obsolete hardware platform like the Amiga One.

Because... thats the hardware it was written for?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Ludde

Oh no, not this old chestnut again.

In short, it was amiga inc who set up the license, speak to them. PPC was the prefered option back in 1999 time however has proven that moving to intel platform need not be something to worry about.

Regardless, I can't see x86 favours for a long time yet

Moving this thread to "too hot to handle"

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Ludde

Yes please. However until the court case is resolved we're stuck with the current hardware solutions.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ludde

It may surprise you (and others) but I would really like to port AmigaOS 4.1 to x86. However, that would be a major undertaking. It would take a while, and right now, that is pretty much out of question.

And that is without considering the lawsuit.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Ludde

Quote:
Is there any chance that Amiga OS 4 will get ported to the Intel/AMD Nvidia/ATI hardware platform in the near future?

leave Nvidia out of your list. There's a lot of it out there, but they don't even have the courtesy to say no or any response whatsoever when you ask for documentation to allow us to create drivers for their stuff. They also do not have the courtesy to even say no or any other response whatsoever when asking about availability of some of their products. Their complete lack of response to us in any way is a very loud NO, we cannot use their stuff on AmigaOS. (And don't say "Amiga" when asking, I didn't, and they still completely ignored us) Unless you're a giant company like Asus or Gigabyte, they don't give a rat's ass. Guess how little they care about the current size Amiga market.

Though Intel and AMD/ATI are possibilities, should the powers tha tbe choose to go x86.

Now, I would like to see AmigaOS go x86 at this point. PA Semi is gone, there doesn't seem to be "high-end" direction for powerPC at Freescale anymore, and I feel weird getting excited about ideas I'd imagine up for the MPC8536 or AMCC chips. I don't want to buy another desktop, and they don't want to port to iBook or Powerbook to get laptops. And I'd love to dual-boot, not dual-lug. Unless/until my XE dies, I don't expect to buy any more Amiga hardware, and I'll be really unhappy to downgrade from G4 ATX to Sam's specs. I think the Sam guys are amazing to do what they've done so far, I just want a lot more performance and expandability, they just offer less than what I have now. Hopefully they'll come out with a higher-end board someday. But going x86 would give we the users a lot more than waiting and hoping that somebody is crazy enough to develop and sell PowerPC hardware we wish for. And it's only getting less possible for such crazies to even do that, with the higher-end chips going away.

Quote:

I have an AmigaOne, I'd be pretty pissed if it stopped running on it. Personally, I think it's a heck of a lot better than the Sam specs in terms of expandability and performance. It's in no way perfect of course, but the only other thing in its class for us Amiga users is the Peg2, which is also unbuyable today.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ludde

Quote:

Ludde wrote:
Is there any chance that Amiga OS 4 will get ported to the Intel/AMD Nvidia/ATI hardware platform in the near future?.

Oh my god, not this old trash yet again.

No. No and No.

I also hope it never will.

If I wanted to use a PC I would buy one and use it, not continually spam Amiga websites with the same old rubbish about wanting to turn an Amiga into a PC every day.

Go away, use Windows on your x86 PC and never come back here.

Do not expect me to recompile any of the software I write to x86 because it will never happen ever.

Bill.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@BillE

This is an old thread. Check the dates.

billt just brought it back, so complain to him, not the original poster.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@billt

But even if we went x86 there would still be the same complaining whne people buy a built pc from the shop. And none of the components are supported. Going x86 doesn't mean that every hw is supported. Writing drivers will still take the time it does. And nvidia will as always not be supported. But ofcourse it's cheap and easy to get hold of.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique
Personall I don't care about platform at all.

I care about choice, availability and price and all would be better if there was an x86 port

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Thread

Unlocked continue discussion..

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ludde

I'd say there's a greater chance of Os4 > appearing on ARM netbooks than desktop x86

I've bought 3 Xandros EeePc's for my daughters. Melissa installed ubuntu Netbook Remix on hers last week and discovers a "sticky cursor" issue when scrolling over icons.

Are they for real... it's a frikkin cursor for pities sake. Should work smoothly no matter what.

Other than that UNR really roxx0r. Now Os 4 could dominate that market if there's a flash plugin.

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Troels, etc
Have a look at this AmigaWorld thread for the latest semi-official word from Hyperion about why no x86 for OS4 (post #35 from Hyperionmp).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi ChrisH,

Well, IT'S ABOUT TIME that there is some substantial concrete comment from Hyperion Entertainment.....

And I like every word I read!!!!!!!!!

I fully support all their future plans (and I don't even know what they are).

Me supporting NatAmi as much as I do doesn't change any of that, as I still see an AOS3.95 from Hyperion for it being a possibility.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

I'm pretty sure I commented on that thread immediately after MagicSN's comment.

It's gorn ?

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
As i did state before there will not be any x86 port period.

Ive copyed this over from amigaworld.net to comfirm this.

Hyperionmp

In addition to that, and the issue has been discussed to death already, a move to x86 would be prohibitively costly.

So far OS 4.x has cost well over 2 M euro to develop. That's 2.75 million USD.

A move to x86 would halt all existing OS 4 development (i.e. complete feature freeze) and subsequently nearly all development time would be spent on dealing with the wide variety of x86 based hardware.

In essence, Amiga OS 4.x development would grind to a complete halt and all this on the fairly far-fetched notion that tens of thousands of existing x86 owners would be willing to pay for a copy of OS 4.1 rather than just downloading a copy somewhere.

No thank you, we have taken a look at the PowerPC roadmap and there is plenty of life in it including 8 core designs under 30 W.

One of the main benefits of Amiga OS 4.1 is the fact that the geared entirely towards the PowerPC architecture as one of the very few operating systems around. Linux runs fine on PPC but it certainly is not optimised for this architecture in any way.

Edited by magic on 2009/6/12 12:41:57
Edited by magic on 2009/6/12 12:42:36
Edited by magic on 2009/6/12 12:43:13
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@magic

Well YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets see it's just been a great day for me, My restricted licence arrived in the mail, I got a pay rise today and now this info from the horses mouth...

I might have to celebrate and order ANOTHER SAM!!!!

heh

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Anonymous
Yes, well, anyway. I'd still like to run all three of the main AmigaOSes on one laptop... so AmigaONE emulator anyone?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@DaveP

You may want an emulator - but again thats not going to happen any time soon. PPC sam440ep will be the only way to run any amigaos since 4.1- at this present time. Just be thankfull we have new hardware at all.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@magic

LimePC = PowerPC
and LimePC is a small laptop

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top