Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
71 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 69

MigthyMax, AlfredOne, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 fatal failure
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Amiga geeks and folks!!!

Before all I was using AmigaOS 4.1 with failures.It was a matter of: 1.It loads well or 2:It loads but the partitions icons plus Amidock's ones were unusable or uncklicable at all.That was the sad situation.

So I reached to the point that: Well I will copy my USB pendrive AOS4.1u2 with DirOpus and when I did the mess and failure was totally advisable.Some files they couldn't be copied with DirOpus4 because they were duplicated or something similar like already avaliable on Workbench 4.1.

After all this copy,I tried and after the AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 splash screen on reboot it doesn't advance more than this and it returns again to the AmigaOne X5000 U-Boot screen.

I think that if I leave my AOS4.1 recovery USB unplugged it give me to a AmigaOS 4.1 Boing Ball ROM screen.And then if I plug the USB pendrive it boots.

I have no idea what happens: Can you help me?

And if I boot with AOS4.1 pendrive I enter to a Workbench screen but even being listed on MediaToolBox,the 3 previous partitions doesn't appear:And I can mount it even not usable yes formateable with the util Mounter.

What I am doing wrong?

I notice you too that I selected the "slb2" on MediaToolBox and saved various times and I think,can my partitions be affected?

Anyway thanks in advance and wish me good luck on this nasty and difficult situation

Edited by MamePPCA1 on 2024/5/1 11:26:46
Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 fatal failure
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MamePPCA1

And I tried to register my AmigaOS 4.1 FE on Hyperion site and no luck...

Why this happens?

I don't remember my past login to advance or recover my AmigaOS 4.1 ISO.

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Sounds like a mess!

First I would try checking all the cables inside and make sure all the drives and cables are solidly plugged in.

Second to that how recent is your battery on board? Coin battery can cause all sorts of havoc when they drop below a certain voltage. I've seen this behaviour on all AmigaOne models.

So just to understand you tried to restore the system by copying files from the recovery pen to the Workbench? Well, if the system versions match that could work, but it's only suitable if the system was really trashed and files deleted all over the place. The main point of the pen drive would be a recovery drive. It would be good to have a duplicate of your main Workbench as a recovery volume. Then it at least matches exactly.

Regarding MediaToolBox and SLB. That is one thing wrong. The X5000 doesn't use an SLB boot block but would use a boot partition with amigaboot.ub loader. Now it depends on setup but usually this is on an internal SD card.

As long as you didn't select to reinstall drive in the process your RDB and partitions should still be fine. Only if you have told it to reinstall would you be in trouble there. But go back and carefully remove the SLB. It may not affect it but it doesn't belong there. So best to remove any chance of trouble.

What file-system are you using on Workbench? I'd also recommend to check it with Partition wizard. That can also salvage RDB and partitions in case of wreckage. Unfortunately its not very user friendly for doing this and despite having a GUI it expects you to enter a programmer device driver to scan from.

Check your volumes in MediaToolBox and make sure the mount options is ticked. And Workbench has auto mount ticked. They should already be like that.

Also check here with the board LEDs and make sure you aren't seeing any red LEDs indicating failure:
https://wiki.amiga.org/index.php/X5000

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@HypexQuote:
Hypex wrote:@MamePPCA1

Sounds like a mess!

First I would try checking all the cables inside and make sure all the drives and cables are solidly plugged in.

Second to that how recent is your battery on board? Coin battery can cause all sorts of havoc when they drop below a certain voltage. I've seen this behaviour on all AmigaOne models.

So just to understand you tried to restore the system by copying files from the recovery pen to the Workbench? Well, if the system versions match that could work, but it's only suitable if the system was really trashed and files deleted all over the place. The main point of the pen drive would be a recovery drive. It would be good to have a duplicate of your main Workbench as a recovery volume. Then it at least matches exactly.

Regarding MediaToolBox and SLB. That is one thing wrong. The X5000 doesn't use an SLB boot block but would use a boot partition with amigaboot.ub loader. Now it depends on setup but usually this is on an internal SD card.

As long as you didn't select to reinstall drive in the process your RDB and partitions should still be fine. Only if you have told it to reinstall would you be in trouble there. But go back and carefully remove the SLB. It may not affect it but it doesn't belong there. So best to remove any chance of trouble.

What file-system are you using on Workbench? I'd also recommend to check it with Partition wizard. That can also salvage RDB and partitions in case of wreckage. Unfortunately its not very user friendly for doing this and despite having a GUI it expects you to enter a programmer device driver to scan from.

Check your volumes in MediaToolBox and make sure the mount options is ticked. And Workbench has auto mount ticked. They should already be like that.

Also check here with the board LEDs and make sure you aren't seeing any red LEDs indicating failure:
https://wiki.amiga.org/index.php/X5000

OK

I plugged or pushed all my PCI-Express cards not the cables except the Workbench HD that was on saturday 27th of April I think,a day before my birthday.No results anyway.

My coin battery is old but at least has been working for nearly 3 years without
problems.

No I tried the pendrive contents that were on partitions dir OK? And I have 1 or 2 different Workbemch versions I think even I am not sure at all:Only one working Workbench pendrive.Now as I can go to the past,I think I copied my first pendrive (the one whom I received with the X5000 at first time) that was more ancient and that was the one it replaced my AmigaOS 4.1 partitions with new/old files.More old than new.All froim HD

About Workbench slb2: May I select this or another one? OK I will try to remove later this tiny boot file

On Workbench I am using SFS/00 and SFS/02 for the rest of the partitions

OK I will check Auto-Mount yes.

Another problem I have since ages on my AmigaOne X5000 is that it never (except when you turn off on the PSU on the back of the tower) boots at first power press,It never turns on at first,I have to press 2 times usually the power button

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MamePPCA1

I am stuck on this problem still...

Can some of you help me?

Thank you

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MamePPCA1
Hi! Perhaps you should start from scratch; this may be the most straightforward option: partition your drive and make sure your first partition is bootable. Ignore where it says to install Slb. You don't need it on the x5000. After partitioning your drive, save and reboot, and then try installing your OS.
Oh, you need a 5450 graphics card to install. I think
Cheers

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hypex

On Workbench and MediaToolBox,May I tick "mount" and "boot" too or only the first one?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@bigmac

OK bigmac! Maybe I will try later.

Many thanks!!!

But if I format or partition I will loose all my data no?

What about repartition? I will loose all my 3 partitions no?

Cheers

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Yes, format = erase everything.
So you should backup all your data before formatting. And when it's done, you can replace all your data on the new partitions.

To backup you can use BackUp (68k) or BackItAllUp.

"Mount" means the partition will be "enabled" so you will be able to use the files on that partition.
"Boot" means you can place an AmigaOS system on that partition (C, Devs,...) and you can boot from it.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MamePPCA1
Cómo formates o reparticiones un disco duro, dile a adios a todo lo que tengas en las particiones, an Amiga de momento no respeta que particiones las otras particiones sin reescribir el MBR entero borrando todo los roots de las particiones que existen. Haz siempre una copia de seguridad, o bien un CD o USB con los programas y actualizaciones que uses más a menudo.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

Quote:
Elwood wrote:@MamePPCA1

Yes, format = erase everything.
So you should backup all your data before formatting. And when it's done, you can replace all your data on the new partitions.

Format=erase everything...OK.

To backup you can use BackUp (68k) or BackItAllUp.

Yes but how can I transfer these files? Maybe on pc to anAmigaOS 4,1 pendrive?

"Mount" means the partition will be "enabled" so you will be able to use the files on that partition.
"Boot" means you can place an AmigaOS system on that partition (C, Devs,...) and you can boot from it.

Format=erase everything...OK.

Yes but how can I transfer these files? Maybe on pc to an AmigaOS 4,1 pendrive?

OK but how can I mount (because I did with mounter) my 3 partitions and make it visible and usable inside my Workbench?

I really need a tool to backup my Workbench files and that compatible to AmigaOS 4.1.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Templario

Si ya lo se,lo que pasa es que mientras mis 3 particiones no aparecen o aparezcan,no se como acceder de momento a mi AmigaOS 4.1
DH0: "Volume" o particion.Mira que lo he discutido por messenger hoy con Steffen Haeuser (autor del MAME para AmigaOS 4.1)

Mis datos de momento estan como en el aire...

¿que puedo hacer?

What can I do?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Sorry yes for Workbench volume in MediaToolBox do tick "mount" and "boot" as well. All Amiga volumes should be marked mount. Only bootable volumes like Workbench should be marked as boot.

Though if you can see them from the pen drive and they show up on Workbench I don't know why they wouldn't work on normal boot.

For the SLB just remove any on there. So as it turns out the X5000 boot loader is on the SD card. You need to update it with the UpdateAmigaBoot command.

You may want to try testing a new battery as well. Sometimes these boards start doing funny things when the charge had been draining for a few years. One symptom commonly seen is issues with power on/off. If it is old definitely get a new one just to be sure.

Also, if you go the back up route, keep in mind that for Amiga files in places like your Workbench they need to be copied to an Amiga file system like an SFS formatted volume on your pen drive.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hypex

OK mate!!! I will check all you say if I can.

For now I will replace my battery for a one that I don't know if it's old or new.

DH0: is ticked now as "mount" and "boot" on MediaToolBox.And yes SLB was removed days ago I believe.

And yes strange things happens on my AmigaOne X5000 tower as it turns off and then you have to push again the button in order to boot or see the U-Boot screen.

If not maybe I will go for the BackItUp utilitie,but for now I don't know how to do it

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hypex

I tried BackItAllUp,but I don't see the point on how to use it.

Any ideas?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MamePPCA1
Una solución rápida y que yo he usado con MOS es tener dos discos duros con el sistema, así en caso de aparente catástrofe tener un segundo de repuesto, y pinchar el segundo como auxiliar y tratar de arreglarlo con el sustituto, pero hay que tener paciencia y sobretodo no doblar los pines de los discos duros.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Templario

No a mi no se me doblan tan facilmente los pins de los discos duros,solo me ha pasado con la ACA500.

Actualmente solo tengo un disco duro USB externo de 2 TB.Tengo mucho espacio en el.

Sobretodo quiero recuperar mis datos porque tengo ahi el emulador de SNES,el MAME y un monton de cosas que no recuerdo.Ah! Y mis descargas de Internet que ocupan muchos GBs.

Ahora he bajado el SFS de Os4depot y el programa de SFSSalv me pide la gtlayout.library.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Templario

Now I have the gtlayout library installed and SFSSalv it works and run well but my partitions,the OS4.1 ones appear.

What can I do now?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MamePPCA1
Quote:
Now I have the gtlayout library installed and SFSSalv it works and run well but my partitions,the OS4.1 ones appear.
SFSSalv only supports SFS\0 partitions, not SFS\2 ones.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Personally, I've tried these backup programs before, but end up giving up. Not sure what it was but they can get stuck if a file system has errors. I tend to go back to Workbench even though that has flaws.

Both are old designs and a strange mix. One is 68K so using old DOS functions but simple enough. The other is updated for OS4 but still using an old interface and is slightly confusing to use.

I'd use the older BackUp given the choice. Just needs source and destination. But, you could also just use a tool like DirOpus. That may be the easier option.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »