Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

trixie, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »
Re: Do we have fast, accelerated, bug-free, supporting scaling SNES emulator ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Olle
Quote:

Trying to add links and images below, fingers crossed it works.

Warpsnes 2023-11-20 testversion

This version runs, games works in window mode, but in fullscreen all black (be it fullscreen, or fullscreen 2x). I can heard music, can hit "esc" to return to GUI, but nothing rendered.

I tried to choose 640x480x32 , 640x480x16 - same. If i choose 640x480x8(pseudo colors), then warspness simple crashes in "window events".

Os4depot's version of same 1.43 works ok in full-screen (just with white borders around).

This all probably due to the ", Picasso96 and so on, so i did some changes to support it".

Also, if you say that there were heavy bug , which get rid one you remove -O3 , it means that bug still here, just hide, and will happens just later, or in different place. Optimization didn't add bugs of course, but only show you that something wrong with code. By lower the optimization you only hide the issue, but you probably know it all already :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
>Hello all,

>@TheMagicSN,
>Long time no Scene. :) , i hope everything is fine?

Yeah, I am fine. I sort of took a break from AmigaOS (like 10 year long break). I restarted on AmigaOS end of last year (now short before releasing OS4 Version of Heretic 2, and working on Sin for OS4 as well as H2 and Sin for 68k). Not in full-time like before but in "fully accepted part-time by my employer" (believe it or not, actually I got a document with signature of a big-boss for that )

Other things than that ? Married (actually already 10 years ago), bought a house (4 years ago). All fine.

If you want to send me those sources, send to tirionareonwe@gmail.com, email did not change

BTW I disagree that issues on -O3 are a bug. Things are known to sometimes go wrong on -O3 in gcc. It is no coincidence that GNU people compile all their code with -O2. Actually I do too, in most cases.

Though I would like to try with my (probably) more recent gcc installation.

Thanks in advance.

MagicSN/Steffen

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TheMagicSN
Quote:

BTW I disagree that issues on -O3 are a bug. Things are known to sometimes go wrong on -O3 in gcc. It is no coincidence that GNU people compile all their code with -O2. Actually I do too, in most cases

In last couple of years, we all there discuss this thing (and not only we, but whole internet without amiga meaning), and developers everywhere come to facts that no one ever were able to create a test case without an actual bug , which fail with -O3 and works fine with -O2.

All the time, when any developer (even skilled one), says that "bug was with too much of optimization enabled”, turns out to be real bug in end, just with more optimization on, bug un-hide itself, or just shift the location, so issue happens.

If one fix the issue by removing -O3 in favor of -O2, be sure issue will arise sooner or later. By luck, it can hide well, but the point is bug still will be there.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

I alway use -O3. Never experienced any issue with it. But sometimes you need to use volatile to prevent the compiler from over-optimizing volatile code.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@OlleQuote:
Olle wrote:Hello all,

Sorry for the ramblings, wrote this in the middle of the night while waiting for my account to be accepted. :)

Trying to add links and images below, fingers crossed it works.

Warpsnes 2023-11-20 testversion

Thanks for the test version of WarpSnes, I also get the same result as @kas1e. As soon as I switch to full screen resolution 1600x900 8/16 bit there is only a black screen output, the emulator continues to run but you can hear it in the sound.

https://www.veed.io/view/3327fb67-2bcc ... -deee85c97a81?panel=share

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Olle

As others says, fullscreen give now a black screen.. but audio in background still works
Tried fullscreen --> 320*240 32 bit TrueColor ARGB

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@smarkusg,
Thank you. :)

@samo79,
Thank you, yes it was unfortunate it wasn't possible to finish it back then. Maybe now it can be done.

@flash,
Thank you, you are probably correct, it was just a quick check (and late night after full workday), i will take a stab at it once more, and if it's still not solved i will make an isolated code with the issue and post here for help.

@kas1e,
Thanks, yes i will check the code with fresh(er) eyes, and yeah i know it's probably bug(s) in the code causing this, and not the optimizer flags, what put me off in that tangent was that from the S9xGraphicsMode() function, i only once calls my framework to open the display, like so: emu_frame->OpenDisplay();

So i put a log message in S9GraphicsMode() and log message in the OpenDisplay() functions, and when i compile without optimization, it calls them only once during startup. If i put optimization on, it calls S9GraphicsMode() once, and the OpenDisplay()-function repeatedly until crash.

I searched the whole codebase and the OpenDisplay is only called from S9xGraphicsMode(). This is why i thought it was strange.

I will send the code to TheMagicSN, so he can forward it to you as well, probably on Saturday or Sunday because i'm not at home this week.

Btw, i saw your github and awesome stuff. Question about SDL/SDL2 on Amiga OS 4, what is the state regarding latency and performance? Should i change to using SDL instead? If supporting OpenGL, maybe rendering to texture is a better option? , and how about audio latency?

@TheMagicSN,
That's nice to hear, congratulations on both marriage and house. No marriage here but a partner and stepdaughter and also bought a (tiny) house some 7 years ago.

>Yeah, I am fine. I sort of took a break from AmigaOS (like 10 year long break). I restarted on AmigaOS end of last year (now short before releasing OS4 Version of Heretic 2, >and working on Sin for OS4 as well as H2 and Sin for 68k). Not in full-time like before but in "fully accepted part-time by my employer" (believe it or not, actually I got a document with signature of a big-boss for that )

That's awesome :D , regarding the big-boss signature, hahah i have a similar one stating that i cannot be disturbed during easter holidays so i can go to Revision party, and also our local demoparty (Gerp) is a no-work zone. :D

I will send you the sources in the weekend as i am not at home this week, amazingly i managed to time my posting on amigans.net just as i got coworkers from China arriving and we are sitting in a cottage deep in the forest crunching for a software pre-release that is supporting Mac OS, Windows, IOS and Android and is going to be presented to Lidl and Walmart together with a special hardware. We'll see how it all turns out, if nothing else a good learning experience.

@Maijestro and samo79,

Thanks for the feedback, i think i have a pretty good idea of why this happens now. :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Olle

Is your old public mail address still valid?
--> amigan()comhem.se

I tried to contact you some time ago but I wasn't able to
In general i prefer send emails to report problems and/or bugreports, it's also easier to exchange files to try and considerations!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Olle
Quote:

Btw, i saw your github and awesome stuff.

Almost everything on it's not my stuff, but a ports of something done by others :) SDL1 and SDL2 for OS4 done by Capehill (he still works on it, and his work on SDL probably the best ones of all the ports, with all native amiga support). My version it just his SDL work, to make it work on GL4ES (layer need it to make full opengl to works on our ogles2).

Quote:

Question about SDL/SDL2 on Amiga OS 4, what is the state regarding latency and performance? Should i change to using SDL instead? If supporting OpenGL, maybe rendering to texture is a better option? , and how about audio latency?

That need to ask Capehill about, but in general we still if it possibly remove SDL in favor of native amiga, as it anyway always faster in end (less layers, etc). Also, OpenGL for us in not always good to use , sometimes it can be even slower than without ..

Your version of Warpsness is the best exactly because it uses amiga native rendering IMHO.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Olle

>@TheMagicSN,
>That's nice to hear, congratulations on both marriage and house. >No marriage here but a partner and stepdaughter and also bought a >(tiny) house some 7 years ago.

Thanks

>That's awesome :D , regarding the big-boss signature, hahah i have >a similar one stating that i cannot be disturbed during easter >holidays so i can go to Revision party, and also our local >demoparty (Gerp) is a no-work zone. :D

>I will send you the sources in the weekend as i am not at home >this week, amazingly i managed to time my posting on amigans.net >just as i got coworkers from China arriving and we are sitting >in a cottage deep in the forest crunching for a software pre->release that is supporting Mac OS, Windows, IOS and Android and >is going to be presented to Lidl and Walmart together with a >special hardware. We'll see how it all turns out, if nothing >else a good learning experience.

Good luck and success with the release

Best regards,
Steffen

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@samo79

Sorry no that address stopped working long time ago without me being aware of it. For direct access to mail directly to my uA1-machine, use this one ollemann(@)telia.com , or if sending larger files, use perj0913(@)gmail.com but then i need to transfer them.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Yeah, no worries i was just curious about the state of SDL2 or 3, and if there would be a reason to have it as an optional framework.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TheMagicSN

WarpSnes 1.43 sources sent, finally went through but i had to send you a dropbox-link because gmail refused to accept the archive.

Some of the changes done.
-------------------------

* Fixed amigainput support (fixed some bugs)
* Fixed some memory corruptions causing random crashes and general instability of the gui)
* Extended the size of the keyboard-setup fields so the key-mapping names are readable.
* Fixed the select resolution-button for fullscreen options, which was greyed out when starting the application.
* Fixed when selecting a saved savestate, to remove the button "Continue previously played session", to avoid confusion on how to run the savestate (by just clicking play)
* Updated the framework-code to use Amiga OS 4 methods for allocating objects and creating ports and stuff like that.
* Created a new renderer callback system for the framework, calling separate function depending on what option is selected. This avoids *alot* of if-cases in rendering-loop which should speed things up compared to previous version.
* Only 16 and 32 bit window/screenmodes are supported, removed 8-bit option everywhere to protect from crashes since this is a 16-bit system.
* Fixed paths for all save/loading in snes9x-code, previously some save-files could end up in different folders.
* Fixed save and load-state in the gui to find the screenshots even if the rom files are saved with .zip or .gz extensions.
* More bits and bobs i can't remember at the moment.
* Edit: Remembered, added FullScreen 2X with Scanlines. :)

I tried to compile with both old GCC 6-version and GCC 11.2 and both works, even with Optimization flags on now. :)

I will test to compile snes9x 1.62.3 now and try to make a version as well, interesting to see performance difference if nothing else.

Edited by Olle on 2023/11/27 22:42:12
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@All,

Here is a download link to the latest version with the changes mentioned above.

Feel free to test, but i doubt it will solve the black-screen and border issues.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/vvnctd4 ... k06oa4dtqusiz8dl6n9b&dl=0

Edit, unpack this folder and run, do not copy to another previously existing folder since the config-file is incompatible with previous versions.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Olle

Mail sent with a quick report

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Olle
Quote:

Here is a download link to the latest version with the changes mentioned above.

Feel free to test, but i doubt it will solve the black-screen and border issues.

Yeah, full-screen still same black :( Through list of modes now looks more clean and better when you choose screenmode. Just strangely black screen .. Like, buffers not flipped, or something. Or some tag enabled/disabled.

PS. Btw, can you (if you have time) add also window mode x3 and window mode x4 ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi!

I got the latest source-code now.

I will send it to you @kas1e.

Maybe it would make sense that you look at latest bugs (black screen) first before I update it to latest snes9x code. But probablyl I will still do a compile myselves and check if the black screen issue appears for me before I send you the code.

EDIT: Ah, just saw Per wrote he tries himselves to update to latest SNES9x 1.60 code.

Best regards,
Steffen

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@OlleQuote:
Olle wrote:@All,

Thank you very much for the new version and the small changes within WarpSnes. The window modes work very well and the speed is the same as previous versions.

I can also confirm that all fullscreen modes only show a black image even though WarpSnes is running in the background no matter what resolution I use.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Steffen, Olle
Yeah, i was able to recompile latest sources with latest SDK/GCC as well, but it still the same black screen in full-screen, strange!

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

My guess it does not support 16bit, or perhaps the exact mode you have.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »