Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Debug output from X5000
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I cannot anymore remember how to activate the U-Boot debug output from X5000... I saw once an excellent guide explaining all the steps and details needed, but cannot locate it anymore, even with 'Duckduck'. Could someone please give me the correct link? Thank you!-)

Go to top
Re: Debug output from X5000
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@geennaamQuote:
THANKS! That was exactly the document I was looking for...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have now the debug output activated in U-Boot (level 5). But the output stops after kernel modules has been loaded. How can I get info from the later phases of booting? Boot hangups happen in my machine only after Kickstart has been loaded.

I would especially like to see what happens when the 'LoadWB' command is run. How can I get that info via serial port?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rolar

Did you activate the debug kernel in your kicklayout?
You can also try to increase the debug level.

But be prepared to have your debug terminal flooded with info

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@geennaamQuote:
Did you activate the debug kernel in your kicklayout?
You can also try to increase the debug level.

Yes, I tried both but the output still stops after loading kickstart. The last line says "..... Call loader entry at xxxxxxxxx"

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rolar

What options did you set in UBoot? I get full output after "Call Loader 0x2000000".

I think I set the following custom variables:
os4_commandline=serial debuglevel=5 munge
baudrate=115200

Setting the baudrate is important because UBoot uses 115200 baud, but the kernel switches to 19200. Using the same value for both systems makes accessing the logs much easier.

Otherwise you would need to switch your terminal program to 19200,8,1,N. But you would only get the output of the kernel, not UBoot. And you cannot control UBoot via serial anymore.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@FlynnTheAvatarQuote:
I think I set the following custom variables:
os4_commandline=serial debuglevel=5 munge
baudrate=115200

I have the same settings on my U-Boot. The baudrate was by default set to 115200. I tried also debuglevel=9 but it did not help.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rolar

Sorry, I am not sure what I did to make it work. But I still think the wrong baud rate is your problem.

Could you please try the following?

Edit SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers/AUX and set Baud to 115200 there. This should set the Baudrate for logging in AmigaOS.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@FlynnTheAvatarQuote:
Edit SYS:Devs/DOSDrivers/AUX and set Baud to 115200 there. This should set the Baudrate for logging in AmigaOS.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately that did not have effect on the issue... But I tested to copy a text file from AmigaOS cli to aux:, and it was received normally at the other end. So, at least the connection works.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Did you redirect debug output in memory instead of serial maybe?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@PetrolQuote:
Did you redirect debug output in memory instead of serial maybe?

Not at least consciously. How/where can that be done on AmigaOS? I have no idea... U-Boot output already goes to the serial.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
debug from U-boot works, and not from OS, i.e. cable is OK.

For AmigaOS you need:

setenv os4_commandline serial munge debuglevel=7
saveenv

or similar according your firmware. Check it twice with printenv command. If you try it and still no output, it is strange.
Try from AmigaOS shell command DumpDebugBuffer to see output.
Or put in your startup-sequence:
run >NIL: kdebug "debuglevel 7"
run >NIL: kdebug "console serial"
reboot and look on serial output.

If you need debug MorphOS:
Here try from system Debug screenbar module, or Applications/logtool

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sailorQuote:
Try from AmigaOS shell command DumpDebugBuffer to see output. Or put in your startup-sequence:
run >NIL: kdebug "debuglevel 7"
run >NIL: kdebug "console serial"
reboot and look on serial output.

Both ways work for me - thank you very much, sailor! "kdebug" is of course more useful if you try to track system freezes.

I already saw that my keybord (Ducky One) causes a long list of identical USB error messages ("undefined raw key"), but still it works... I wonder if there is any way to get rid of those errors?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
Rolar wrote:
Both ways work for me - thank you very much, sailor! "kdebug" is of course more useful if you try to track system freezes.

That is super!

Quote:
I already saw that my keybord (Ducky One) causes a long list of identical USB error messages ("undefined raw key"), but still it works... I wonder if there is any way to get rid of those errors?

I have no X5000, but first try to change the keyboard.
More than week I had usb ohci errors in X1000 CFE environment. I ignored it, CFE and AmigaOS working normally, but linux distros allways freezes. I spent half day searching the reason
But if you have some special multimedia keyboard, it is possible that some rawkeys are undefined.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sailor Quote:
I have no X5000, but first try to change the keyboard.

I do not have currently a second keyboard at hands to test... But as my Ducky One has those fine Amiga style caps made by Loriano, I would not in any case change it with an ordinary PC keyborad .

Quote:
More than week I had usb ohci errors in X1000 CFE environment. I ignored it, CFE and AmigaOS working normally, but linux distros allways freezes. I spent half day searching the reason

Usually it's the opposite... Problems on Amiga side, whereas Linux works without a hitch

Quote:
But if you have some special multimedia keyboard, it is possible that some rawkeys are undefined.

Yes, that's very probable. It would need some fix for AmigaOS...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rolar
Quote:
If kdebug works using os4_commandline should work as well, but
- using setenv os4_commandline serial munge debuglevel=7 baudrate=115200
may not work, it has to be setenv os4_commandline "serial munge debuglevel=7 baudrate=115200".
- setenv os4_commandline "serial munge debuglevel 7 baudrate 115200" doesn't work either since in this case the kernel would get "munge" "debuglevel", "7", "baudrate" and "115200" as arguments, it has to be debuglevel=7 and baudrate=115200.
- The kernel can't access current U-Boot variables but only the ones saved on the MicroSD.

Using
setenv os4_commandline "serial munge debuglevel=7 baudrate=115200"
saveenv
in U-Boot should work without having to use kdebug.

Quote:
Yes, that's very probable. It would need some fix for AmigaOS...
There is a config file somewhere, and maybe even a tool, to map USB key scan codes to AmigaOS ones, for unusual ones which can be different on different keyboards they have to be added manually.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sailor

Don't use "debuglevel = 7" unless you want every boring detail printed out and have plenty of time to capture it all.

"Debuglevel=1" is quite adequate for almost all purposes. It's what I use for normal use and even debugging of device drivers and file systems.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joergQuote:
If kdebug works using os4_commandline should work as well, but
- using setenv os4_commandline serial munge debuglevel=7 baudrate=115200
may not work, it has to be setenv os4_commandline "serial munge debuglevel=7 baudrate=115200".
- setenv os4_commandline "serial munge debuglevel 7 baudrate 115200" doesn't work either since in this case the kernel would get "munge" "debuglevel", "7", "baudrate" and "115200" as arguments, it has to be debuglevel=7 and baudrate=115200.

Thanks for your clarfication! The problem was that I did not have the baudrate at all as a parameter for 'os_commandline'. I misunderstood that the separate 'baudrate' variable would do the job. But obviously it affects only on U-Boot?

I always use the command 'env edit' instead of 'setenv'. Thus I can simply edit the current string without having to reenter everything. The quotation marks are not needed, either.

Quote:
There is a config file somewhere, and maybe even a tool, to map USB key scan codes to AmigaOS ones, for unusual ones which can be different on different keyboards they have to be added manually.

Does anyone remember the exact filename...?

BTW, I get a cascade of USB errors ("EHCI timed out on TD - token=0x80008c80") from my keyboard also on U-Boot. Is there any way to get rid of those...?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rolar
Quote:
I misunderstood that the separate 'baudrate' variable would do the job. But obviously it affects only on U-Boot?
Yes, the only env variable used by the AmigaOS kernel is os4_commandline.
Some other parts of AmigaOS 4.x may use other env variables, for example sii3114ide_conf and sii3114ide_xfer are used by the sii3114ide.device SATA AmigaOS 4.x driver (not by the U-Boot sii3114 driver), but for the kernel it's only os4_commandline.
Unlike on PCs the BIOS, or newer firmware standards like UEFI, doesn't survive when the OS is started. For example MS-DOS and partially even Windows and Linux depend on and use BIOS functions, but on AmigaOS 4.x the firmware (U-Boot, CFE or OpenFirmWare) is completely killed, code and data, when the OS is started.

Go to top

Register To Post